Cycle touring as a bearded vegetarian!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robing

Über Member
Since last year two things have changed. I have become a vegetarian (non negotiable) and grown a beard (negotiable!) I have mainly grown the beard while I am training for a marathon and as I'm superstitious I will keep it until I have completed the marathon!

I have found turning vegetarian easy at home (I still eat fish) but am wondering how easy it will be cycle touring both eating out and camping? I think the beard may have to go. It's just not very hygienic with eating and drinking. I can wash my face easily enough at home but camping it might be a bit gross and annoying! ^_^

MarkF

Guru
I've managed it for years, touring meat free, it's never caused me any issues, unlike beer. Beards are not aerodynamic and will slow you down in the marathon. :okay:

Tourist, Beard......

All we need now is......

Socks-and-sandals-006.jpg

Beard thing is easy - just keep it minimised - veggie eating out in the more populated areas of europe should be possible - I must have cooked something veggie in my lifetime (beans on toast this morning) but not my habit - I suspect veggie camp cooking is pretty boring but if you can manage it at home without being bored then it ought to be a goer - cooking fish when camping is quite easy but can be a bit hit and miss

Debade

Über Member
You're what's known as a pescatarian. For years, I was a pescatarian that also ate dairy and eggs. If you do eat dairy and eggs, I see no problem.

If not, I expect it is still possible but difficult. Perhaps things like protein shakes, peanut butter, nuts, protein bars, etc will help. But, I really do not have experience as a 'pure pescatarian'. My daughter as a vegan at home did just fine. When she went to college and was eating the food prepared in the dorm cafeteria, she had to back-off to a vegetarian (included eggs and dairy in her diet).

Not sure if you have toured or how long the one you are planning but for any tour over 2 weeks, 50 miles per day with loaded bike, I ALWAYS lose weight and can't imagine consuming any more high calorie food. So, I think you are wise to ask and research.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Eating out in foreign places may give communication difficulties, such as overcoming a local view that lardons (bacon bits) or chicken (for example) aren't "meat".

How likely this is will depend on which country, and how far off the beaten track you are.

iandg

Legendary Member
I remember being in Torridon Youth Hostel cooking up a spicey bean stew and getting some very jealous looks from a few foreign tourists on a package holiday who were getting leek and potato soup - and having to do all the prep themselves ^_^

Eating out in foreign places may give communication difficulties, such as overcoming a local view that lardons (bacon bits) or chicken (for example) aren't "meat".

How likely this is will depend on which country, and how far off the beaten track you are.

This. For example, in Serbia pork is effectively a "vegetable". However you can still get by on salads, breaded cheese and mushrooms if need be. However, if you are vegan it will not be much fun.

I remember being in Torridon Youth Hostel cooking up a spicey bean stew and getting some very jealous looks from a few foreign tourists on a package holiday who were getting leek and potato soup - and having to do all the prep themselves ^_^
That probably wasn't a jealous look, more likely a knowing look about the kind of night they were going to have.
Spicy bean stew followed by a night in a dorm.:thumbsdown:

Sorry I'm lost. Can you explain?

It was a poorly executed joke :shy:

The Serbs have a very meat based diet, as a consequence neither chicken, nor pork are considered as real meat i.e. Beef or in season lamb, hence they will often be offered to people who say they are vegetarian.

Another quirk of the cuisine is that bread is the carb of choice rather than potatoes, rice or pasta. The first comment people often make about a restaurant, at least the traditional places, is on the quality of the bread.

If only @clarion were still around in here! He and Butterfly would have something to say about veggie camp cooking being boring! :ohmy:

And here I am! Vegetarian, occasionally bearded, non-sandal-wearing, cycle camper.

Veggie food on camp is dead easy. I buy pouches of grains and/or lentils (Merchant Gourmet or Jamie Oliver are two brands with a decent selection) which can be heated in the same pan used to cook whatever vegetables you find on the local market or in Sainsburys/LeClerc/Lidl/Whatever.

If you like, you can fry up some veggie sausages (I like Cauldron best), or some tofu or Quorn, if that's what you like. Even a couple of slices of halloumi can be fantastic.

I note that meat eaters take longer to wash up their pans than me :smile:

RobinS

Veteran
Well I am not vegetarian, I like meat far too much, but, cycle touring I can see huge advantages to eating veggie food. Without refridgeration in warm climates meat goes off very quickly, you need to either purchase within hours of each meal, or risk poisoning yourself. With vegetarian food there is rarely this sort of problem, and having had to cater for vegetarians I can't really see a problem.

And as far as the beard goes - I though it was essential on tour - I start with a smallish beard and it just get bigger over the months, and the hair just get longer as well!

Top Bottom