Cycle Trainers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Because I'm only just beginning to get back into cycling again after about 9 years. I'm finding it hard to get back into it. Or even staying out for more than 10 minutes.

There's many hills where I live. I could go out in the car and ride somewhere flat, but that costs fuel, and money which I don't have.

Now, I was wondering if a trainer would help me get back into it?

Any cheap ones out there that might be ok for my bike?
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/complete-overhaul-or-new-bike.154111/

I am wanting a new bike, most likely a hybrid. Because I ride on tracks and the road.

I wouldn't mind a new bike because I want to keep changing to a higher gear because I can't pedal fast even to keep up with the pace I ride on the road. I'ts annoying.

So I would need a trainer to fit my current bike and a hybrid.

The cost preferably would be less than £150

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I think it depends why you want to get back into cycling.
I bought a turbo trainer so I can have a bit of a cycle in the garage on horrible winter days. But I find it very boring, and only do it for the exercise. I enjoy cycling around the country lanes near me, so to me a trainer is just a means of exercise in the winter.

Why do you find it difficult to stay out long? Because you are getting too tired, or because you are getting bored? If the latter, I'd have thought a trainer would be even more boring. If it is just that you are getting tired - persevere. If there are hilly road, pick a point on the road to reach before you get off and walk. Then the next time, go just a little bit further.

montage

God Almighty
I would suggest putting the money into a road bike - there are some decent entry level ones out there (btwin, decathlon did a great £300 model, not sure if that is still around). Keep your current bike and that can be the one you use for off road adventures?

Gearing is another aspect to look at - a larger cassette at the bike would enable you to get up steeper climbs, and thinner road tyres would be a benefit as well.

With regards to fitness, keep at it!

KneesUp

Guru
I can totally empathise with not having ridden for years and living somewhere hilly being demoralising - I'm in the same boat. As I have nowhere to keep or use a trainer I've not considered one, but I am finding that, as @Spinney says, riding regualrly and getting just a little bit further each time makes for fairly rapid progress. I think this is more so if you've previusly been cycling-fit (in my case it's getting on for 20 years since I rode regularly) I've gone from almost passing out cycling home (the last hill is a killer) to arriving fairly composed. I only have to get off for a fairlyshort, steep bit near the end now, and I've only been riding again for a week or two. Like you I only ride for 15 minutes or so at a time (because that's how long it takes me to get home) but if that's all you can do, that's fine. As you get fitter you can do a bit more - I've already got ideas for slightly longer/hillier routes home once I can manage the current one the whole way. And don't be afraid to stop either; it's surprising how much more able to carry on you feel after a few minutes rest. Your bike looks to have some low gears, so just spin up hills as best you can.

If you have £150 to spend on a trainer, surely you can spend a few quid on petrol every now and again to get some flatter terrain? And the money you have spare can go towards the new bike?

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Forget the trainer. The advice above is sound. We live in a hilly area and my wife finds it hard when she comes back to cycling after the winter lay off (fair weather cyclist that she is) but after a while she gets quicker and doesn't have to stop so much. There's nothing wrong with letting the heart rate drop and catching your breath before cracking on, think of it as a form of interval training:biggrin:

A nicer, lighter bike would help, but at the end of the day you just need to get fitter - don't worry it'll happen.:thumbsup:

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Agree with @JoeyB
Keep at it !
Cycling isn't easy when you first start anyway. Hills are intimidating at first but if you keep at them you will only get stronger.
FWIW , my advice is steer clear of a turbo trainer (at least until summers over) and make the most of getting out in the dry weather.

screenman

Legendary Member
I would like some hills close by, or even a bit of hedge sometimes, just to cut the monotony and head winds on grey days.

OP
OP
F
Thanks. I'm not going to buy a trainer.
Like KneesUp, I don't have anywhere to store or use one.

I can't cycle at the moment because although my ulcers have healed, I now have bad exzema which bleed and is itchy most of the time. So I'm going to wait until my leg is healed now before I cycle again.

This is my last 2 rides which I've done.

(First ride!!) 5.6 mile
http://app.strava.com/activities/133341359

1.5 mile at home
http://app.strava.com/activities/135043621

I'm planning on taking my bike to Scotland soon. It's a little flat where I'm staying. But I'm wanting to ride over to the other side to another sea loch and that requires me to ride up a very steep hill (which I'll definately walk up).

montage

God Almighty
Thanks. I'm not going to buy a trainer.
Like KneesUp, I don't have anywhere to store or use one.

I can't cycle at the moment because although my ulcers have healed, I now have bad exzema which bleed and is itchy most of the time. So I'm going to wait until my leg is healed now before I cycle again.

This is my last 2 rides which I've done.

(First ride!!) 5.6 mile
http://app.strava.com/activities/133341359

1.5 mile at home
http://app.strava.com/activities/135043621

I'm planning on taking my bike to Scotland soon. It's a little flat where I'm staying. But I'm wanting to ride over to the other side to another sea loch and that requires me to ride up a very steep hill (which I'll definately walk up).

I know Skipton - you're right about it being hilly! Possibly one of the most beautiful parts of the country though

OP
OP
F
I know Skipton - you're right about it being hilly! Possibly one of the most beautiful parts of the country though

I live in Keighley.

I'm thinking that maybe a trainer wouldn't be such a bad idea now. I could get my legs working without the need to go outside. And I could ride for longer without experiencing any elevation. I could find somewhere to store a trainer and I could use it in my bedroom. Now I wish I had a wired cycle computer which I could measure the distance I ride. I won't buy one just yet.

I'm also thinking that maybe I shouldn't take my bike to Scotland. During the past couple of days, I've noticed that the muscles/tendons in my calf hurt a little when I get up in the mornings. I think this is because I've had a compression bandage on my leg since last November, and it was taken off only last week. I need to build the muscle up again. .........But while typing this maybe taking the bike would help.

On a good note, my exzema is healing nicely :smile:

Top Bottom