cycle transport methods

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Giant-Churchy

Hello all,
I have been recently thinking about getting a tow ball mounted cycle carrier as recently I have been putting seats down and trying to get the bike into the boot. For transporting long distance or taking to be serviced type thing. Just wondering what others do and why you do it that way.

vickster

Legendary Member
Put the seats down and stick it in the boot. Don't even need to take the wheels off. No concern about it falling off or being nicked, nor effect on performance or fuel consumption

Fabia estate (bought for this very purpose)

OP
OP
Giant-Churchy

Giant-Churchy

Put the seats down and stick it in the boot. Don't even need to take the wheels off. No concern about it falling off or being nicked, nor effect on performance or fuel consumption

That's what I do now what about if there is more than one off you. I'm thinking tie there bike to the roof with bungees and put mine in the boot :laugh:

vickster

Legendary Member
There rarely is and there's always the passenger seat for the passenger

I reckon I could get at least two bikes in carefully, if not three

I am not tying bikes to my pristine paintwork!!

MikeW-71

Veteran
I have an ickle tiny Citigo. The bikes (any of them) go inside with the seats folded down and both wheels off. If I'm out with my brother and his little boy, he has a towball mounted bike carrier :smile:

CRVFR

I'm intending to buy this internal rack for going on holiday to France - should be far more secure than putting bikes on the roof or hanging them on the back. Rack from
www.bikeinside.de

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Peugeot partner combi. Seats down= 3 bikes in the back, wheels on. Other occupants I got a 2nd hand Thule towbar carrier from Gumtree.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
2 bikes will (just) go in the boot of our saloon, although it's a bit like Tetris Metal.
A second folder is on the way, courtesy of @User of this parish.
I've used a strap-on (oo-er!) rack in the past, but I'm never entirely happy with them.

ScotiaLass

Guru

Oh! That's why my husband keeps refusing me a tow ball mounted bike carrier!
We do have a HUGE truck which can comfortably manage a few bikes and still leave room for passengers.
We can't park in multi storeys as the truck is too high!

Thule towbar mounted bike rack that locks onto car and has bike locks as well. I can't lift bike very high, so this is one that the bikes stand on and even with the bikes on it, we can tilt it and have full access to the boot of our saloon. (ours takes 3 bikes +1 with an additional adaptor). We can at a push get 1 bike into the boot with front wheel off and rear seats down, (but one of the rear passenger doors is not functional so this is difficult), but if the bumper is not to get scratched, then you need a blanket to put over the bumper as well.

Top Bottom