Cycle users on pavements.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
This should start a few views / opinions flying - !
In the fair city of Norwich, on the basis that it's no different from any other city / town in this respect, more cycle users seem to ride the pavements than the roads. There's no point in asking them why; you'll just get a load of abuse. I know, I've tried. :thumbsdown:
So, why do they do it - ? Is it simply because they can get away with it and it saves them having to stop or slow down for mundane things like traffic signs - ? It's also common to see them cycling along the pavement with a cycle lane on the road right beside them - ! :eek:
If they come across pedestrians, either solo or with prams, disability frames or whatever who have the temerity to also be using the same bit of pavement, the pedestrian is expected to get out of the cycle users way and they usually do. Any comment or reaction from said pedestrian is invariably greeted with abuse. :cursing:
Thoughts on the matter folks - !

As any Ipswich Town fan will tell you, this is because the entire population of Norwich is comprised of inbred cretins. Football fans seem to be given to wild generalisations.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
666 posts @simongt Are you the devil reincarnated? ;)

I think you’ll find it’s down to shoot infrastructure. Segregated modal transport is a way forward. Mixed use will always result in conflict.

It’s an old drum that has been beaten till the skins have ripped and become inaudible to the intolerant.

Slick

Guru
I've posted this before but I make no apologies for choosing about 400 yards of pavement rather than one particular roundabout on a dual carriageway on a near 15 mile commute. It was the exact same on a previous 10 mile commute which is just common sense.

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
the entire population of Norwich is comprised of inbred cretins. Football fans seem to be given to wild generalisations.
As this appears to be a wild generalisation, state your evidence - ! :boxing:
And as I'm not and never have been a football fan in any way, shape or form, your statement is a bit shakey to say the least - ! :rofl:

Drago

Legendary Member
What are you defining as a pavement? Unless there's a local by law prohibiting such antics, it's only specifically an offence on a footway.

Cyclists on the footway isn't hard or clever, but I'm with winjim on this - motor vehicles on the footway present a far greater hazard to life and limb, but many of the people that whittle about slavering puppy torturing cyclists will park their car on a surface intended for pedestrians without a second thought.

snorri

Legendary Member
Thoughts on the matter folks - !
There is also an increasing use of pedestrian areas by the drivers of motor vehicles, which in turn is forcing pedestrians to use the roads more and more for getting about town. The general confusion as to who polices what has left our towns with very little policing at all:sad:.
Anarchy rules out there!

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Cambridge, and specifically the Evening News is in permanent meltdown about stuff like this along with RLJing, 2 abreast, headphones, helmets.

Most of it is bollarks, apart from pavement & RLJing in my opinion*

Unless you’re under 10 years old you have no business on a pavement whilst on a bike and you should be sent to prison for ever if you jump a red light.

Top Bottom