CycleChat Commission Links

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shaun

Founder
If you'd like to help support the site you can use the links below to earn us a small commission on the goods and services you buy:

There are thousands of other merchants (the list changes all the time), so if you'd like us to check a particular store just post in the support forum an we'll check it out for you.

The system is very simple - when you follow a link from our site to the merchant it tags us as the referrer, and when you go through the checkout process we are paid a small sales commission for sending you their way.

Thank you to anyone who is kind enough to consider us for a commission.

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

Last edited:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
John Lewis. John 'never-knowingly-undersold' Lewis. Purveyors of leather sofas and outsize table lamps!

And people wonder why I discourage Susie from going 'on the forum'......

jonathanw

Chorlton and the Wheelies
Are we allowed to know how much commission they pay for linking to them....just curious. I'll certainly post more links now I know the benefit in order to keeping this site viable.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Is there mileage in auto-linking? Every time someone mentions (say) wiggle on the forum, and doesn't provide a link themselves, you add a link which brings in a bit of commission if someone clicks on it.

Two possible problems (I'm paid to think of possible problems, so they come naturally to mind): it might be tricky to code, and members might not like it. The first is a practical problem, the second might be got round with a bit of education.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Is there mileage in auto-linking? Every time someone mentions (say) wiggle on the forum, and doesn't provide a link themselves, you add a link which brings in a bit of commission if someone clicks on it.

Two possible problems (I'm paid to think of possible problems, so they come naturally to mind): it might be tricky to code, and members might not like it. The first is a practical problem, the second might be got round with a bit of education.
That system is already in place! :thumbsup:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
When you click a link, says Shaun.

What I'm suggesting is that if the member doesn't create the link, the software does it for us. So if I wrote "wiggle is a wonderful merchant, full of interesting surprises in a way Halfords isn't", the sotware would come along and create a link to wiggle and Halfords.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ah, yes - that is a step beyond the current system!

I have a WordPress plug-in that does that. I can specify a list of keywords and a list of links and the software will replace some or all of the keywords with one or other of the links. I can put limits on how many keywords get replaced per page, and I can set weightings for the different links so the software effectively runs a split-test for me to see which links are most effective.

One problem with doing it automatically on a forum is that someone could post "Halfords is crap - never buy anything from them" but then an affiliate link for them gets inserted which kind of suggests that the forum recommends them. If it was being done on content that you write yourself, then you'd be aware of it and make sure that didn't happen.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
It would be interesting to see what would happen if someone called someone else a t*at where would that auto-link to :giggle:

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
The system I currently use can be extended to auto-insert links and testing it is on the to-do list - but I don't want something that ruins the layout so if it looks crap it won't be staying!! :thumbsup:

Gary E

Veteran
I've just used the link above to buy one of those fancy Park Tool Chain Checkers. The link took me straight to the site and I bought the tool in the usual way and paid using Paypal.

At no point did it mention that the purchase was linked back to CC. Did I do it right?

If you could confirm it went well I'll make sure I use the links whenever I buy 'stuff'.

I really wish I'd known about this earlier, I've spent hundreds of pounds in those shops over the last few months :cursing:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I've just used the link above to buy one of those fancy Park Tool Chain Checkers. The link took me straight to the site and I bought the tool in the usual way and paid using Paypal.

At no point did it mention that the purchase was linked back to CC. Did I do it right?

If you could confirm it went well I'll make sure I use the links whenever I buy 'stuff'.

I really wish I'd known about this earlier, I've spent hundreds of pounds in those shops over the last few months :cursing:

Just as long as you have linked through the forum, Cycle Chat get's the benefit. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom