CycleChat Investigates - Banksy

Banksy - wonderful artist, or criminal menace?

• Fantastic artist doing a jolly amazing public service

Votes: 23 43.4%
  • A repeat criminal damage merchant, deserving only of the stocks

Votes: 20 37.7%
  • I prefer the works of Wanksy myself

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't have a TV

Votes: 10 18.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I see the phantom graffitist, Banksy, has been at it again. This time he's daubed his renderings in a tube train carriage, and a cleaner has ruined them trying the get them off.

This got me to thinking - is he a modern Don Quixote, tilting at windmills and enchanting us with his delightful renderings, or a public menace responsible for much criminal damage? I thought it wise to let the great minds, thinkers and philosophers of CycleChat decide.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
If it was Banksy that did the carriage , and it's not obvious that he did, was LUL really going to leave it inside for all the other Graffiti artists to tag, I think not. Work of art? Maybe to some, more like vandalism to me.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Now that there's a pristine wall at the end of the Tube carriage, can I replace his masterpiece with one of mine?

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
His ideas are interesting but the 'artwork' is very similar to the result of putting a photograph through a photocopier without a screen (thus removing the mid tones and reducing it to black & white). A very popular 'look' back in the 1970s for brochure covers (I know because I used that technique several times).

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Phantom Graffiti Artist? They sure some funny names for Goalkeepers back in the day...

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I. not sure which one to give my hat to. But they both deserve it 😁. View attachment 536224

There used to be a caving equipment shop in Wells called Bat Products. The chap used to use off cuts of fleece material from caving suits to make hats like that. He put a sign in the window

"look like a twat in a Bat Products hat'

They sold very well, no doubt helped by the brilliant slogan

The proprietor, known as J-Rat is sadly no longer with us but he was a lovely guy and and one of the leading lights of the caving world

Reactions: gbb

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Well, being in Bristol he's a local celeb round here. I used to like some of his stuff, especially the huge House of Commons painting which depicts politicians as apes. But around the city, many of his works are fading now, which was the idea anyway. The bloke hanging out of the window, which is at the bottom of Park Street, got paintballed:

banksy1.jpg

There's much better art around. I think Banksy is old hat now, the next generation are more interesting:

bristolart2.jpg

This is new. It used to depict balloons floating over fields but it cracked & faded, so this replaced it:
bristolart3.jpg

If I had a house with a huge gable end, I'd commission this guy. IMHO, miles better than over-rated Banksy who should really retire on his squillions. Check him out:

gage art

Top Bottom