CycleChat Investigates - Banksy

Banksy - wonderful artist, or criminal menace?

• Fantastic artist doing a jolly amazing public service

Votes: 23 43.4%
  • A repeat criminal damage merchant, deserving only of the stocks

Votes: 20 37.7%
  • I prefer the works of Wanksy myself

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't have a TV

Votes: 10 18.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
M Khan is bent.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
1594924792990.png

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
A few years back we queued for hours in the rain in Bristol to go to the Banksy exhibition. The kids loved it. But it mostly reminded me of the art a few of lads used to do in the sixth form. Though, I agree with the Capt. - I also like the House of Commons one. The shredding stunt was neat, too.
I was lucky enough to go a day after it opened & waltzed straight in!. I liked the idea that he wasn't restricted to his exhibit and that there were 'hidden' pieces around the whole museum. For example, the Romany carriage with a wheel clamp on it, in another gallery of paintings, one featured a 'wonky' picture of a boat at sea & the water was draining out of the corner....^_^

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I think Banksy's stuff is great. He can actually paint so has talent in the technical execution side, his stuff always has some wit to it, and often as not with a serious point being made so it makes you think. His stuff is refreshingly free of pretension too. Like the poster above I love the mural of the cuckolded husband angrily looking out whilst the escaped lover is hanging by one hand from the windowsill bollock naked - I walk past it fairly regularly and it always makes me laugh

Fair enough, liking or not is an individual thing but dismissing it as rubbish just seems silly

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Regarding graffiti generally I recall some on a branch line railway cutting stonework in Cardiff in 9 foot high letters "Yanks out of Indo China" decades after they had indeed left. Any Cardiff boyos confirm if it's still there (on the Rhymney Valley line a bit before Queen Street)

The original, and best
1594951591592.png

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Banksy really annoys me - he always will - like 'The artist formally known as Prince' annoys me, as any trumped up manipulative arrogant pompous self-promoting narcissistic person does.

Edit: I never mentioned Trump, well I did but only indirectly... but he's another one... oh, and Johnson, and Gove, and Patel and.....

[Rant over...]

Last edited:

Adam4868

Guru
Banksy really annoys me - he always will - like 'The artist formally known as Prince' annoys me, as any trumped up manipulative arrogant pompous self-promoting narcissistic person does.

Edit: I never mentioned Trump, well I did but only indirectly... but he's another one... oh, and Johnson, and Gove, and Patel and.....

[Rant over...]
Yet he's done his job though,you know his art and what it represents.What artist isn't self promoting ? It's his purpose,I'd say hes almost more political activist than a artist anyway.^_^

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
And the Guardianista are back in the lead! Banksy is now a luvvie, adored and admired by university lecturers and bookstore owners the nation over.

Will the "hang him high" faction be able to take back the lead?

Banksy has shown great courage by travelling to one of the world's most talked about conflict zones and creating politically controversial works of art. We should encourage him to explore his art in some of the less talked about conflict zones such as Yemen, Iraq, Syria, Mexico, Sinai, Myanmar, West Papua, Chechnya and Dagestan, Somalia, Mali. The authorities and other parties to conflict will , I'm sure , appreciate the opportunity to engage in dialogue through art and offer him the hospitality usually shown to the politically active radical.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Yet he's done his job though,you know his art and what it represents.What artist isn't self promoting ? It's his purpose,I'd say hes almost more political activist than a artist anyway.^_^
True... thank the Saatchi Brothers and the art paparazzi - like Tracy Emin's bed, 'that' urinal, and 'those' bricks in the Tate. It's a narcissistic dreamworld.

Top Bottom