CycleChat Investigates - Banksy

Banksy - wonderful artist, or criminal menace?

• Fantastic artist doing a jolly amazing public service

Votes: 23 43.4%
  • A repeat criminal damage merchant, deserving only of the stocks

Votes: 20 37.7%
  • I prefer the works of Wanksy myself

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't have a TV

Votes: 10 18.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Banksy has shown great courage by travelling to one of the world's most talked about conflict zones and creating politically controversial works of art. We should encourage him to explore his art in some of the less talked about conflict zones such as Yemen, Iraq, Syria, Mexico, Sinai, Myanmar, West Papua, Chechnya and Dagestan, Somalia, Mali. The authorities and other parties to conflict will , I'm sure , appreciate the opportunity to engage in dialogue through art and offer him the hospitality usually shown to the politically active radical.
... or he could sit on his sofa with a lager in his hand. point at the news, "ha. Modern art? It's all shoot!"

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Does that apply to all artists regardless?
Haha! Now, this is where we all go off it and start discussing, 'is it art'... which is a totally different can/kettle of worms/fish.
If you like Banksy stuff, fine. If you like Van Gogh, fine.... but I like what I like and no-one will disabuse me of that, neither would I try to persuade others... but I have my prejudices and they are firmly held!

We go to the Baltic to re-affirm our prejudices regularly.... sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't.

What I always distrust is the artists' waffle [sorry, introductory explanations for their work]... which from experience I know is almost universally written after the work has been done, in an effort to explain the artist's approach and methodology usually to justify their grant aid or sponsorship, and to attempt to impress the art critics invited to the opening receptions.

The modern art world is a fickle environment full of supportive hugs and kisses but with a darker hatchet underworld of insincerity and envy. A critic's rave can make or break an emerging artist and after-sales prices of their work can then go through the roof for a fashionable name, if the show is bought up by a London art house. Banksy has reached that zenith but like antiques his worth will ebb and flow.

Adam4868

Guru
What I always distrust is the artists' waffle [sorry, introductory explanations for their work]... which from experience I know is almost universally written after the work has been done, in an effort to explain the artist's approach and methodology usually to justify their grant aid or sponsorship, and to attempt to impress the art critics invited to the opening receptions.
I'd have to disagree on this point.I live with a artist/art lecturer and the idea almost allways comes before the physical work so to speak.Almost that become the easy part.
Is it art ? As you say it's about what you like,forget who told you it's good.
Myself I love Rothko,I could quite happily stare at one of his works for a afternoon and have done.Others will just see a splash of colours ^_^
Back to Banksy it's the thought behind his work,stencil spraying isn't the thing ! For me anyway.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I'd have to disagree on this point.I live with a artist/art lecturer and the idea almost allways comes before the physical work so to speak.Almost that become the easy part.
Is it art ? As you say it's about what you like,forget who told you it's good.
Myself I love Rothko,I could quite happily stare at one of his works for a afternoon and have done.Others will just see a splash of colours ^_^
Back to Banksy it's the thought behind his work,stencil spraying isn't the thing ! For me anyway.
Oh I agree artists have ideas first, otherwise they're just winging it from day one, but the wordy pseudo-intellectual guff that's written by them or about them in gallery brochures and the introductory displays of their work is sometimes breathtaking! Perhaps it's written just to fool the emperor and his sycophants! I once witnessed a yuppy, in the mid 80s, walk into a local gallery 'after some art' for his new flat who, on looking briefly at the work on display asked the gallery owner if the artist was 'fashionable'.

Last edited:

Adam4868

Guru
On I slightly different note,then I'll shut up! If you asked my partner to draw,paint a object or person you'd be blown away by it.If your into detail etc.But its not what she does.She says if I wanted to do that I'd take a photo !
At the moment she's doing a phd on the Irish Border and the work that goes with her written stuff definately needs explaining !
When we met probally 20 odd years ago her work was delicately sewn strawberrys,almost stitched up.I asked her what they were.Its about female genital mutilation ! Should of read the art statement ^_^

Top Bottom