Cyclechat investigates...classic rock albums

Which CD does an ageing rock fan play first in his new car?

• Thick as a Brick - Jethro Tull

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • III - Led Zeppelin

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • The White Album - The Beatles

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • What's a CD Grandad? Stream some DJ Twatfish

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
That's all well and good for a cheap and nasty Nissan Murano, but what classical is appropriate for an XC90? Wagner, perhaps?
Buckner's 3rd, dedicated to Wagner. Or was it the 4th? When Bruckner told Wagner he was dedicating the symphony to him, they were both quite p*ssed, so Bruckner had to ask Wagner the next day which symphony he had promised to dedicate to him.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W5r0C3lxDg

Celibidache definitely best here. He made relatively few recordings, because he thought people should hear such music in person.

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Maybe Sawallisch and Hindemith, following in the themes of Weber.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntj3YQdzRac

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Buckner's 3rd, dedicated to Wagner. Or was it the 4th? When Bruckner told Wagner he was dedicating the symphony to him, they were both quite p*ssed, so Bruckner had to ask Wagner the next day which symphony he had promised to dedicate to him.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W5r0C3lxDg

Celibidache definitely best here. He made relatively few recordings, because he thought people should hear such music in person.

I don't really know Bruckner's symphonies that well, but maybe I should buy a boxed set. I have his masses and like them a lot, albeit not listened to them for a while

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I grew up with classic rock, like probably most on this thread. The ones that I still listen to, that weren't sh1te (some might argue otherwise)

AC/DC - Back In Black
AC/DC - Highway To Hell (all the Bon Scott ones, though I rarely listen to Dirty Deeds or High Voltage)
Black Sabbath - Sabotage
Black Sabbath - Heaven And Hell
Dio - Holy Diver
Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard Of Ozz
Scorpions - Blackout
Saxon - Wheels Of Steel
Def Leppard - High 'n' Dry

Used to love sitting with tape recorder, ready to record songs of The Friday Rock Show, with the late Tommy Vance.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
There doesn't seem to be an option for Master of Reality?

Do you mean the one by Sabbath or the self entitled album by Masters of Reality (great album). Like both..

MarkF

Guru
Well, quite unexpectedly I find a new car on the horizon. This creates a minor quandry.

Now, those that know me know I'm stuck in the late 60's and early seventies musically. I was born 20 years too late in that regard.

So this now leaves me with a poser - which CD do I play first in my new car?

You were just out of time, l am probably 10+ years younger so got lucky, thank god, blew all that pap away. A great first album that took decades to be fully appreciated. 2 mins is all you need.

Last edited:
Showaddywaddy greatest hits

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
So, I asked the question, and the investigative might of Cyclechat has spoken. Led Zeppelin III shall be the first CD played in the car. Just as well, as if the Beatles had won I'd have had to have my Led Zeppelin tattoo lasered off!

classic33

Leg End Member
So, I asked the question, and the investigative might of Cyclechat has spoken. Led Zeppelin III shall be the first CD played in the car. Just as well, as if the Beatles had won I'd have had to have my Led Zeppelin tattoo lasered off!
I'd say we'd manage that, at a fraction of the high street price.

Top Bottom