Cyclechat investigates...classic rock albums

Which CD does an ageing rock fan play first in his new car?

• Thick as a Brick - Jethro Tull

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • III - Led Zeppelin

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • The White Album - The Beatles

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • What's a CD Grandad? Stream some DJ Twatfish

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
In that case, as someone said upthread, Classic FM it is.

Radio 3 surely, rather than cheesy classics at 6 pm or whatever the programme is called

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I listen to classical FM pretty much all the time, most of the radio stations around here are either right wing hooliganism, religion, or country.Many NPR stations are all talk radio to provide a more liberal voice in the community, but I still have one station playing classical. Only about three hours a day live, the rest comes from Classical 24 out of Minneapolis.

C R

Guru
Nissan Murano-
Mahler, Symphony #9, Sir John Barbarolli, Berlin Philharmonic, from the masterful 1964 EMI (Angel) LP.
Mahler's ninth is a great piece, but not very good for the car, I find, because of the dynamic range it covers.

C R

Guru
That's all well and good for a cheap and nasty Nissan Murano, but what classical is appropriate for an XC90? Wagner, perhaps?
Nah, if we are talking classical either Karajan's version of Beethoven's ninth, or the Flight 666 version of Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner.

Having said that, the problem with most classical music in the car is the dynamic range, so you either can't hear half of it, or if you increase the volume for the quiet parts, and then the loud parts are too loud.

Top Bottom