Cyclechat investigates - mobility scooters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
A while back there was 300,000 in the UK and only 3,000 in France which has about the same populations, to this day I cannot think of this is a good or bad thing.

Tells you a lot about the cultural differences.

screenman

Legendary Member
Osteo arthritis unfortunately , I ache for 2 days after almost every ride, pedalling seems to aggravate the hips more than walking.

I feel your pain, both knee's, bursitis in both shoulders herniated discs in back, along with a few other problems. Off for aswim in a few minutes which loosens me up a bit.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I agree with the comments that not every obese person is to blame for their condition.
This past summer I was squeezed out of my seat in the ferry lounge by two fat wimmen. One went off to the cafeteria and came back with a double portion of chips and two maxi burgers each. I wonder why they were fat?

screenman

Legendary Member
I agree with the comments that not every obese person is to blame for their condition.
This past summer I was squeezed out of my seat in the ferry lounge by two fat wimmen. One went off to the cafeteria and came back with a double portion of chips and two maxi burgers each. I wonder why they were fat?

Maybe they were not gifted with self control, not everyone has it. Maybe stress and they reached out to food for comfort, who knows, certainly just educating is not working.

Slick

Guru
Anybody ever think that a lot of these "morbidly obese people on scooters" are that way because of conditions that inhibit their mobility? farked hips mean you can't move around so you don't exercise so you put on weight and you get depressed so you eat more and the extra weight exacerbates your pain etc etc?

A lot of those people you see on mobility scooters today used to be called housebound and were invisible.

Somebody mentioned you hardly see them in France. Makes me think there's a lot of sad, lonely people confined to their homes in France.
That's actually a very good point that maybe helps @screenman make up his mind.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
As an example our last full time GP got very fat at one point. The reason was that she had serious medical problems and following a prolonged period off work was on medication for a while which caused this problem. She is now reasonably svelte.

mm

no one is disputing that there are folk with serious medical issues.

But it seems undeniable to me that the UK has an obesity crisis - and I don't think we are genetically vastly different from other neighbouring countries. Less fat folk in Italy for sure, though I gather that obesity is a growing issue there.

Complicated issue of course - related to points made above - in the area of Italy I know well you see very few disabled folk, including blind, out and about - I reckon they are squirreled away at home or by church bodies. For there surely can't be less.

Gunk

Guru
In which way though?

I spend a lot of time in France, my Mother lived there for 20 years and it’s a world away from the UK. Attitudes are different and the work ethic seems stronger in France, that’s probably why you don’t see so many enormous people whizzing through shopping centres on mobility scooters as you do here.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Then we have the bit where disability scooter riders are poorly treat. Cars,vans,wagons etc taking up so much of the pavement that mobility scooters can't pass! I'll never forget the time i saw a car with the care company's name on the side,saying something like 'Caring for the elderly and vulnerable in the community'. Yes,it was actually parked over a dropped kerb!!:thumbsdown:

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
If you like your mobility scooters, try Merthyr Tydfil. I saw a man lift one out of the back of a 4x4 by himself, ride it into Home Bargains and got one of the employees to fill the basket for him, as he drove around.

Still, not as bad as Trecco Bay -Porthcawl

That's been twinned with the planet Skaro

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
We’re the most Obese country in Europe, so something’s not working. We’ve become a nation addicted to eating shite.
The gluttony is very much in evidence around here. Over the festive period i've seen plenty of disgusting vomit droppings on the pavements. When you see these things most appear to be vomited food,rather than spewed up beer. I saw one the other day outside a pub. It must've been the biggest spew pile i'd ever seen!xx( I bet it measured around 2 feet in diameter:eek:. My thoughts were 'that person has probably vomited up more food than i have in a week'! Stuffing crap down one's throat now seems to be the norm.

Top Bottom