Cyclechat investigates - mobility scooters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
So it's not the genuine disabled scooter people your friend was having a go at but the people who just ride them because they are lazy? Why didn't you say that?

It's a bit like a general criticism of those on benefits because a very small number abuse the system.

I am now a wiser but sadder man.
I wouldn’t say a friend. He’s a cad & a bounder. Some very narrow minded folk out there sadly. :sad:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
FIL and MIL used to have one - FIL COPD/later lung cancer, MIL stroke.

I made a 'ramp' at the caravan so that they both could get up the ramp to the caravan door. FIL wasn't very heavy, but we 'tested' MIL's chariot with my son driving, and I on the back so we could get near the 'correct' weight - the chair just made it. :laugh:

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
There are a number of members at the golf club that use adapted scooters with the
bag at the back. Not golf buggies, proper invalid buggies. Its a smallish, quite flat course but there is no way they could play without the scooters. It gets them out with their mates. A great idea.
I see them on my course as well from time to time but you need a doctor's certificate to take part in the medal, which I find a but surprising.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I see them on my course as well from time to time but you need a doctor's certificate to take part in the medal, which I find a but surprising.
Very strange. If you are a pro you get someone to carry your bag but if you are an invalid :wacko:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I got one for my wife as she had Parkinson's and was not very mobile.We used to go into supermarkets using her rollator but had to give up as she had to be rescued by wheelchair to get out. The staff were always very helpful in this respect but in the end we just gave up. Unfortunately she was terrified by the scooter and it was not helpful. After she died I could not be bothered with the hassle of selling it so gave it to a local charity to give out on loan to needy cases. The needy turned out to be grossly overweight individuals and I still have grave doubts about the wisdom of my decision.

Slick

Guru
I got one for my wife as she had Parkinson's and was not very mobile.We used to go into supermarkets using her rollator but had to give up as she had to be rescued by wheelchair to get out. The staff were always very helpful in this respect but in the end we just gave up. Unfortunately she was terrified by the scooter and it was not helpful. After she died I could not be bothered with the hassle of selling it so gave it to a local charity to give out on loan to needy cases. The needy turned out to be grossly overweight individuals and I still have grave doubts about the wisdom of my decision.
I think you did the right thing. 👍

screenman

Legendary Member
I cannot pick up 2 x 5 gallon containers of liquid and walk very far, now that is only about 8 stone and many people around these parts are carrying more than that, so maybe the scooters are a good idea for them. I should add I do not think morbid obesity is a life choice.

Slick

Guru
I cannot pick up 2 x 5 gallon containers of liquid and walk very far, now that is only about 8 stone and many people around these parts are carrying more than that, so maybe the scooters are a good idea for them. I should add I do not think morbid obesity is a life choice.
Finally. :okay:

gbb

Legendary Member
There are a number of members at the golf club that use adapted scooters with the
bag at the back. Not golf buggies, proper invalid buggies. Its a smallish, quite flat course but there is no way they could play without the scooters. It gets them out with their mates. A great idea.
But like me and the e bike. I still look quite fit for a 61 year old but try cycling 15 miles without assistance, no chance, OA has seen to that so let's be a bit sympathetic, some scooter users may well fit the same kind of picture.

screenman

Legendary Member
But like me and the e bike. I still look quite fit for a 61 year old but try cycling 15 miles without assistance, no chance, OA has seen to that so let's be a bit sympathetic, some scooter users may well fit the same kind of picture.

OA I hope does not mean old age.

I was in a shoe shop outlet in McArthur Glens a year or so back when a mobility scooter user came in. It was quite a large four wheel scooter and the aisles of the shop were narrow. I know it is bad form to laugh but I couldn't help finding it funny when she tried to turn the corner of one aisle and demolished the displays. The staff tried to help but she couldn't reverse so continued round the corner up the next aisle and tried to get out of the shop demolishing two more racks of shoes, leaving them in a trail behind her and apologising to staff all the time saying it was a new scooter she hadn't got used to. Tbf the staff were great.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Anybody ever think that a lot of these "morbidly obese people on scooters" are that way because of conditions that inhibit their mobility? farked hips mean you can't move around so you don't exercise so you put on weight and you get depressed so you eat more and the extra weight exacerbates your pain etc etc?

A lot of those people you see on mobility scooters today used to be called housebound and were invisible.

Somebody mentioned you hardly see them in France. Makes me think there's a lot of sad, lonely people confined to their homes in France.

Top Bottom