CycleChat Investigates - SciFi

Which is the greatest SciFi film?

• 2001 - A Space Odyssey

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • The Day The Earth Stood Still (original version)

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Star Wars

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • Forbidden Planet

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Silent Running

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • The Omega Man

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Interstellar

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • The Martian

• Star Terk II - The Wrath of Khan

• Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Votes: 4 7.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Star Wars is Space Opera not Sci Fi.
Try Galaxy Quest for more realistic version.

See
Invasion of the Body Snatchers ( 1970s version)
The incredible shrinking man
The Andromeda Strain

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
That's the one. And you're often not quite sure whether you're in the game or the game within a game, or even ostensibly reality.

it was plainly obvious (to me) that they were already in a VR game when the film began, so the big reveal at the end was a damp squib.
History of Violence did the same thing. Maybe Mr Cronenberg had been hanging out with Mr Shyamalan around that time?

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
That's like suggesting Corrie isn't drama because it's a TV serial. OK, it might not be Shakespeare or even McNab, but the cheap, almost throwaway nature of its delivery doesn't negate the fact it is drama.

Ditto Star Terk. Its fiction and has space ships and Ray guns, ergo, it is science fiction. Indeed, ST has given us a glimpse of the future on many occasions everything from the first on screen interracial kiss through to the mobile phone.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
That's like suggesting Corrie isn't drama because it's a TV serial. OK, it might not be Shakespeare or even McNab, but the cheap, almost throwaway nature of its delivery doesn't negate the fact it is drama.

Ditto Star Terk. Its fiction and has space ships and Ray guns, ergo, it is science fiction. Indeed, ST has given us a glimpse of the future on many occasions everything from the first on screen interracial kiss through to the mobile phone.
Star Wars* gave us an incestual on screen kiss!

*OK, it was Empire Strikes Back... but still!

Exactly. Star Wars is also set in the past, something that passed me by for many years despite every film starting with the tagline "A long time ago.....", so some people I've met argue it's not Sci-Fi as its not set in the future :wacko:

Exactly. Star Wars is also set in the past, something that passed me by for many years despite every film starting with the tagline "A long time ago.....", so some people I've met argue it's not Sci-Fi as its not set in the future :wacko:

Battlestar Gallactica (spoiler alert) was also set long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away.

Battlestar Gallactica (spoiler alert) was also set long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away.

Incorrect: it just seems that way.

I had to vote for Silent Running from that selection (although other great movies exist in the genre). The 2001 voters are entirely deluded; it is the least successful Kubrick movie, and is all style over substance. (not that that's always a bad thing, but if we're voting for "Best Movie" of any category, well I'm afraid there should be standards, m'boy ...)

AndyRM

XOXO
Star Wars is Space Opera not Sci Fi.
Try Galaxy Quest for more realistic version.

See
Invasion of the Body Snatchers ( 1970s version)
The incredible shrinking man
The Andromeda Strain

I confused myself between Spaceballs and Galaxy Quest.

Watched Spaceballs recently and it really hasn't aged well.

Top Bottom