CycleChat Investigates - SciFi

Which is the greatest SciFi film?

• 2001 - A Space Odyssey

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • The Day The Earth Stood Still (original version)

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Star Wars

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • Forbidden Planet

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Silent Running

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • The Omega Man

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Interstellar

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • The Martian

• Star Terk II - The Wrath of Khan

• Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Votes: 4 7.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
The 2001 voters are entirely deluded; it is the least successful Kubrick movie, and is all style over substance. (not that that's always a bad thing, but if we're voting for "Best Movie" of any category, well I'm afraid there should be standards, m'boy ...)
Style over substance lol....it's a total mind trip...a masterpiece.Were talking 1968 ! Obviously a vintage year,the year I was born 😁
"A Space Odyssey became the highest-grossing film of 1968 – the only Kubrick picture ever to achieve such a standing. It also won Kubrick his only Oscar: for best visual effects (although they were actually the work of Douglas Trumbull)."

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
2001 is as old as me, and how worn a damn sight better! Aside from the hairstyles and Leonard Rossiter's suit it could hwve been made kast week,

gbb

Legendary Member
Threevok mentions Enemy Mine...ooh, I'd forgotten that one but while it wasn't a great, it was one i enjoyed.
I love sci fi, but err away from Star Wars, silly sci fi, I like more serious stuff (if any of it at all can be described as such ;))
Aliens, 2001, Event Horizon, all great.
Annihilation, a little slow and woody at times but the final scenes are beautiful. Loved the idea that everything melded slowly into one . Fabulous scenes under the lighthouse.
War of the Worlds with Tom Cruise, not many favourite but it was dark and foreboding for me, which is what I like.
The Cloverfield trilogy.
Pitch Black. Never really a Vin Diesel fan but enjoyed that.
interstellar.
Prometheus, loved it, would watch it again tomorrow.
Lucy ? Can that count ?, earthbound I know but I loved the way the chemical / drug changed her, gave her hyper senses etc, mutating her to beyond human. I'm going to look for it again, fabulous film.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Personally i found Lucy got preposterous at the end. It did remind me of The Incredible Shrinking Man and The Man with the X-Ray Eyes, both of which have similarly extreme endings... but they just did a better job of it.

As for Event Horizon... first half; 2010 rip-off. 2nd half; average psycho rampage rip-off. I didn't want to see Sam Neil's face in a film again after that, but The Dish (not sci-fi) did change my mind somewhat.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Anybody ever see Enemy Mine?

Not a bad film

Essentially a remake of Hell in the Pacific, staring Lee Marvin and Toshiro Mifune as ditched pilots who end up on the same island during the War

Personally i found Lucy got preposterous at the end. It did remind me of The Incredible Shrinking Man and The Man with the X-Ray Eyes, both of which have similarly extreme endings... but they just did a better job of it.

As for Event Horizon... first half; 2010 rip-off. 2nd half; average psycho rampage rip-off. I didn't want to see Sam Neil's face in a film again after that, but The Dish (not sci-fi) did change my mind somewhat.

Heresey! Loved EH when it first came out, watched it again recently and still loved it. I really like Sam Neil though so I'm biased. They did change the ending, some of which you can still see in the film, as Sam Neils character wasn't supposed to be the end boss. It was going to be the 'burned man' Lawrence Fishburne left behind.

Also I really like the fan theory that the EH ship has actually been through the Warp from Warhammer 40k🤔

Top Bottom