CycleChat Investigates - SciFi

Which is the greatest SciFi film?

• 2001 - A Space Odyssey

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • The Day The Earth Stood Still (original version)

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Star Wars

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • Forbidden Planet

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Silent Running

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • The Omega Man

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Interstellar

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • The Martian

• Star Terk II - The Wrath of Khan

• Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Votes: 4 7.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
exposing your Y-fronts has the same effect, shirly?
A death Ray would be a bit extreme.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Not just Serenity, but the whole Firefly series.

Actually, I'd call Firefly a western with SF elements. They dress a bit like cowboys, all that tech in the ship (including artificial gravity), yet they still shoot bullets?. Imagine Star Trek without phasers but bow & arrows; they visited a planet to deliver some cattle etc, theme sounds very western. Audiences didn't warm to it and it flopped on its initial run.

Alex321

Veteran
Actually, I'd call Firefly a western with SF elements. They dress a bit like cowboys, all that tech in the ship (including artificial gravity), yet they still shoot bullets?. Imagine Star Trek without phasers but bow & arrows; they visited a planet to deliver some cattle etc, theme sounds very western. Audiences didn't warm to it and it flopped on its initial run.

I'd agree it is soap-opera Western style, and I think was all rather tongue-in-cheek.

I can see why it might have flopped, but I loved it when one of my daughters bought me the boxed set on DVD.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Not just Serenity, but the whole Firefly series.

I think they rather blew a promising start. . The premise of of a mis-matched bunch of people largely from the losing side in a civil war hustling for a living, against the backdrop of an emerging back story, is all fair enough and has promise as it's a proven formula after all. It need not be per se derivative, as that's just the set up. They cleverly avoided unfortunate parallels with the lost-cause Southern Confederacy (given the stories were often "cowboys in space") by having a black lady as the first officer, and herself married to their white non-soldier pilot; neatly done I thought, without it being forced or spelled out.

Where they rather missed their chance was being far far too slow in revealing the potentially intriguing back story - the barbarian zombie like reavers, the psycho/ psychic fugitive girl and whatever "the Empire" (or whatever it was, was actually up to, and then too many rather weak stories like smuggling cows. Such stories are OK as light relief, but I don't think it's sustainable with just lightweight low stakes planet of the week adventures.

Even the rather shonky and negligible budget Blake's Seven made a better job of the same premise, and the modern, and also still sadly cancelled, Dark Matter, was outstandingly good

Last edited:
[Event Horizon]
Well I did not know that!

It's a very under-rated film. Saw it at the cinema, and some bits genuinely creeped me out - I don't say that very often. And I'd struggle to find any flaws.
It's not high art, or revolutionary SF, but it's definitely a Good Movie! :-)

I worked in a minor way of some of the CGI special effects . The fact was, they ran out of money and had to cobble together the best edit with the shot they had.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I think they rather blew a promising start. . The premise of up of a mis-matched bunch of people largely from the losing side in a civil war hustling for a living, against the backdrop of an emerging back story, is all fair enough and has promise. It's a well tested formula after all, but not per se derivative, as that's just the set up. They cleverly avoided unfortunate parallels with the lost-cause Southern Confederacy (given the stories were often "cowboys in space") by having a black lady as the first officer, and herself married to their white non-soldier pilot; neatly done I thought, without it being forced or spelled out.

Where they rather missed their chance was being far far too slow in revealing the potentially intriguing back story - the barbarian zombie like reavers, the psycho/ psychic fugitive girl and whatever "the Empire" (or whatever it was, was actually up to, and then too many rather weak stories like smuggling cows. Such stories are OK as light relief, but I don't think it's sustainable with just lightweight low stakes planet of the week adventures.

Even the rather shonky and negligible budget Blake's Seven made a better job of the same premise, and the modern, and also still sadly cancelled, Dark Matter, was outstandingly good

a lot was explained a bit in the film, TBH the network never were behind it and broadcast it out of sequence and times when it was not going to get a lot of viewers on purpose to make sure it sank .

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I think they rather blew a promising start. . The premise of up of a mis-matched bunch of people largely from the losing side in a civil war hustling for a living, against the backdrop of an emerging back story, is all fair enough and has promise. It's a well tested formula after all, but not per se derivative, as that's just the set up. They cleverly avoided unfortunate parallels with the lost-cause Southern Confederacy (given the stories were often "cowboys in space") by having a black lady as the first officer, and herself married to their white non-soldier pilot; neatly done I thought, without it being forced or spelled out.

Blakes 7, which Blake himself once called 'bargain bucket Star Trek', was much more fun, especially Paul Darrow as Avon. Nostalgia over the alien planets all resembling either a Dr Who sand pit or somewhere in Surrey on a damp autumn day :okay: (OK, they did got to Alnwick once!!). Star Treks 'Class M planets' all bear a striking resemblance to a sunny day in California:laugh:.

Never really got into Firefly which SF fans seem to think is the greatest SF ever (?). As you said, it played about with a tired 'space western' formula and sank.

Never really got into Firefly which SF fans seem to think is the greatest SF ever (?)

It has an EXTRAORDINARILY small-but-loyal following (I found it quite watchable but hardly extraordinary). They obviously did something right - but it needed a larger following to justify the budget you need for an action sci-fi show. IMO - I have no numbers, and I'm not a TV studio exec!

AndyRM

XOXO
I worked in a minor way of some of the CGI special effects . The fact was, they ran out of money and had to cobble together the best edit with the shot they had.

I have read that Paramount never really had faith in the film and it's about half an hour shorter than it should be and the studio lost all the other footage. Shame really, as I think it's an absolute class as it is, but I'd love to see it as Anderson envisaged it.

Top Bottom