CycleChat mis-informed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
i would love to see his Engineering qualification from the Engineering Council.

Why on earth would that matter in the grander scheme of things?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Having asked the question on Monday, this week. I have had him contact me with regards the cycle lane insurance. He's not too certain over the insurance being required for cycle lane usage. In the 13 minute call he came over as a person who feels we as cyclists should be insured. I asked, out of curiosity, had he heard of CycleChat. He had & he's also been on here. He went onto say that we are mis-informed on this site would go no further.
This coming Monday(16th July) I'm going to be asking him exactly what did he mean by that.
I started this thread in the hope that if he did post on here, he'd be willing to point out where the mis-information is & possibly correct it. Given the posistion he now holds.
The-Big-Bang-Theory-Season-4-Promotional-Photoshoot-Sheldon-the-big-bang-theory-14558385-492-656.jpg

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
[QUOTE 1934433, member: 45"]You're right. There are so many pedants and know-alls on here it's rare that anyone can get away with spouting rubbish.[/quote]

I didn't realise I was.

subaqua

What’s the point
Why on earth would that matter in the grander scheme of things?

he is senior engineer , transportation. thats a huge jump from a previous role in housing. or do you not think it is important to have the proper qualifications for such a position ?

sadly in the UK engineer isn't a protected title like across most of Europe. a fair of the people i have met who call themselves engineers i wouldn't trust to brush the floor properly

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
[QUOTE 1934680, member: 45"]It's not you, it's the others.[/quote]

Sorry for the mis-understanding, no ill intent meant in the post.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
he is senior engineer , transportation. thats a huge jump from a previous role in housing. or do you not think it is important to have the proper qualifications for such a position ?

I've known people in higher or similar positions in other councils. It seems an angry rhetorical device, a platitude or strange bit of worrying.

I've known loads and loads of engineers and many of them feel a bit hard done by living in the UK (and quite a few of them doing less well than you when they were probably much brighter people) but there's no need to overdo it.

sadly in the UK engineer isn't a protected title like across most of Europe. a fair of the people i have met who call themselves engineers i wouldn't trust to brush the floor properly

Yes, I am familiar with this one. I don't think it would make a blind bit of difference because it doesn't take into account the cultural differences here (that go back decades before you were born). After reading contributions on another thread tonight I'm not convinced your motivations are just practical ones either. I think you meant to say that sadly, engineering in the UK doesn't have very much status or resources - of which you'd probably instantly have the other engineers and people from similar disciplines agreeing with you. Of which there are quite a few. But there you go.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Yes, I am familiar with this one. I don't think it would make a blind bit of difference because it doesn't take into account the cultural differences here (that go back decades before you were born). After reading contributions on another thread tonight I'm not convinced your motivations are just practical ones either. I think you meant to say that sadly, engineering in the UK doesn't have very much status or resources - of which you'd probably instantly have the other engineers and people from similar disciplines agreeing with you. Of which there are quite a few. But there you go.

Monty Finneston had a brave attempt in the late 1970s at raising the status of engineers by making it an all graduate profession and introducing B.Eng and M.Eng degrees to go alongside B.Sc degrees in engineering.

I'm still waiting to observe an improvement in the status of engineering...

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Not certain. I'm expecting someone local to myself to "pop up" & let us know where we are being mis-informed. I think they may already have done so, knocking this thread.

I hope to know Monday when I speak to the person again. See if any mention is made of this.

I think that you are making a mountain out of a molehill and have taken the accusation too literally. The perpetrator has made a generalised statement and not a specific one. I for one will not be losing any sleep over his views on Cyclechat forum users - I'll leave that job to indigestion :thumbsup: .

redcard

Veteran
Quiet news day....

Basically, someone on an internet forum disagrees with someone else on an internet forum, and this is the investigation to discover if said person is a cyber-terrorist out to destroy Cyclechat, or if it's simply two people that have a different opinion.

I think the only way this situation can be resolved is by an embarrassing, clumsy, brawl between a couple of middle-aged men outside the council offices

It's riveting stuff for a Sunday morning

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Basically, someone on an internet forum disagrees with someone else on an internet forum, and this is the investigation to discover if said person is a cyber-terrorist out to destroy Cyclechat, or if it's simply two people that have a different opinion.

I think the only way this situation can be resolved is by an embarrassing, clumsy, brawl between a couple of middle-aged men outside the council offices

It's riveting stuff for a Sunday morning

Not quite between two people. He has not as far as I am aware made any direct response to the points raised.

Its the local council who have said cyclists are required to have insurance to use their cycle lanes. The person named has the job of deciding whether or not that is correct. He is all for cyclists having to have insurance on the road or off the road. That part was made clear.
What he didn't make clear was how this site, CycleChat, is misinformed. Something I have said is a sweeping statement. I hope to clear that part up when I next speak to him.

As fo a clumsy brawl, why not get him to show why, in his mind, insurance is a required item to use council "built" cycle lanes?

Top Bottom