CycleChat Ride - 2 May - Manningtree/Colchester/Tiptree (i.e. north-east Essex)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
The North Essex CycleChat ride is taking place on 2 May 2009, Manningtree/Colchester/Tiptree

Current list of people intending to attend is:
Aperitif
Arallsopp
Auntie Helen
ChrisKH
User1314
FatFellaFromFelixstowe
Gary from Colchester Cycling Group

ilovebikes
User10571
MacBludgeon
Mow
redjedi
SigSilverprinter
Stevevw
Topcat1
Uncle James (probably for part of the ride, not the whole thing)

Possibles
Delthebike (from YACF)

Dellzeqq
Wowbagger (possibly on tandem with MrsWow, from YACF)

Updated route (updated 1 May 09)
www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=7065

So… I hope that I can tempt you all to join me on a wonderful ride through some great parts of the north-east Essex countryside. I can offer you three rivers (Stour, Colne and Blackwater) as well as fields, country lanes, views across the rolling hills of Essex, briefly visiting both the oldest recorded town in Britain and the smallest town in Britain, with a well-earned rest and cake stop at the Wilkins & Sons Jam Factory at Tiptree.

The overall distance is about 51 miles.

Warning for those planning to come by train!
Trains are running between Ingatestone and Manningtree but not from Liverpool Street to Ingatestone due to engineering works; there will be replacement buses (which don't allow bikes apart from folders). London Liverpool Street to Ingatestone is 22 miles, if anyone decides to cycle it. There should be 3-4 trains per hour from Ingatestone to Manningtree but of course the timetable is a bit vague due to the engineering works.

OR you could cycle to Ilford (near Barking) and get the following train (Ilford is 7 miles from Liverpool Street Station)
Sat 02 May
Ilford (IFD) to Manningtree (MNG)
Departs: 09:42 Arrives: 10:46 Duration: 1:04

If you don't want to do any cycling to get there, you can catch a couple of trains to Romford and then directly from Romford to Manningtree (ask SigSilverprinter for details!)

For those coming by car/bike
Meeting time: 11:00am at Manningtree Station (meeting time TBC when we find out who's coming and how).
There is plenty of parking at Manningtree railway station on a Saturday, cost would be £2.00 for the whole day.
Those who would like to add another 10 miles in total to the day’s journey are welcome to park at my house in Great Bromley. You might even be given a free cuppa after the ride.

The Route.
We’re starting off at Manningtree, the smallest town in Britain. It’s pretty small! We’ll cycle along the River Stour for a short way to Mistley, famous as the seat of Matthew Hopkins, the infamous Witchfinder General. Mistley is also well known for its swans which wander around beside the road.
DSCF4630.jpg

At Mistley we have a shortish climb, then we cycle through the quaint village of Little Bromley, then Great Bromley, then Elmstead Market, then a quick and fast downhill stint on the dual carriageway A133 into Colchester (this road is OK for cyclists generally).

Colchester is the oldest recorded town in Britain. We have a long, steady climb up North Hill towards the centre of Colchester, joining the dual carriageway ring road briefly. Traffic in Colchester isn’t usually too bad and will seem a breeze to the London contingent.

We turn on the road to Layer and go through the posh bit of Colchester for a few miles before escaping into the lovely Essex countryside as we weave our way through the villages of Layer-de-la-Haye, Birch Green, Layer Marney, Layer Breton and eventually arrive at Tiptree. This section is on rolling hills, none are particularly steep but they can seem to go on a bit. Make the most of the downhills beforehand!
DSCF4118.jpg

At Tiptree we can have a cake/food stop. The Jam Factory is great, although the food isn’t particularly cheap. It may be populated by old ladies out for day trips but I am sure there will be room for a bunch of cyclists. You can also buy some jam!
GEDC0153.jpg

After we are refreshed we set off again on the way back to Colchester, this time going via Great Wigborough, Peldon and Abberton (basically going round Abberton Reservoir although you can’t really see it).
DSCF4151.jpg

We get back to Colchester before cycling back to Manningtree through the village of Great Bromley again. If anyone has parked at my place they can give up at this point rather than going all the way back to Manningtree.

The final fun part is as we reach Manningtree we get to descend the wonderful Cox’s Hill, down which I regularly reach 40mph. Great fun!

Trains home will suffer the same fate as trains there (i.e. only as far as Ingatestone) but the town of Manningtree is just a mile from the station should anyone want to get some food before leaving the wilds of North Essex.

A couple of things to bear in mind.
The country lanes on our route have generally reasonable road surfaces but if the hedges have been trimmed recently you may find thorns to spoil your day! Can’t do much to avoid this (apart from have Kevlar tyres) but you might want to ensure you’ve got a spare inner tube and a repair kit! We will wait for anyone who needs us to. I have removed the two previously-advertised off-road sections so this is all on roads and most have pretty decent surfaces.

There aren’t any awful hills (I don’t like hills!) but there are a few that can be a bit tiring for people like me. As a trike rider I’m slower up hills than everyone else so don’t worry you’ll get left behind – I’ll probably be last on most of the hills.

Most of this route is covered in my thread that you can read here: http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=19270 This thread also has photos of the off-road section south of Colchester that I mentioned above.

It's a lovely route and will be at as leisurely a pace as we require. Hope you can come along!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Looks a great ride Helen, will deffo try and make this one

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Potential problem for all you train-users... Will have to check this nearer the time and see if there's any way round it!

Start date 04/04/2009 End date 05/04/2009 Route Affected London Liverpool Street, Shenfield, Witham & Braintree / Marks Tey & Sudbury / Colchester, Manningtree, Ipswich & Norwich / Peterborough / Lowestoft and London Liverpool Street, Shenfield, Billericay, Wickford & Southminster / Southend Victoria TOC Affected National Express East Anglia
Saturday and Sunday
Buses replace trains between:

• Billericay and Colchester
  • Billericay and Chelmsford
  • Witham and Braintree
  • Marks Tey and Sudbury
Trains between London Liverpool Street and Peterborough / Lowestoft will run between Ipswich and Peterborough / Lowestoft only
Saturday only
Trains will not run between Shenfield and Colchester. Passengers should travel by bus to / from Billericay, to connect with a reduced train service to / from London Liverpool Street

Planning your Journey
Details of revised timetables have not yet been confirmed, please check back nearer the time of travel

1LegRikk

I'm aiming to come, just need to keep up my training to get my mileage up, but will know for definate closer to the time.

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Rikk, it seems a long journey when I wrote that stuff above but actually it can be broken down into smaller sections which are fine. As the days are longer in April we can take more time if we want. I'm sure you'll be fine, and it's a lovely route (though I say so myself!) and well worth a visit.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
hmm I was going to say yes as it is so close to me but these farm / wooded tracks and my 23's sound like a recipe for disaster.;)

1LegRikk

FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
hmm I was going to say yes as it is so close to me but these farm / wooded tracks and my 23's sound like a recipe for disaster.;)

Your just scared you'l like it and want to get a mountian bike B)

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
FFFF, there are only two track sections which can be avoided - you should still come along, it'll be great fun!

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Auntie Helen said:
FFFF, there are only two track sections which can be avoided - you should still come along, it'll be great fun!

It's certainly tempting being so close and one I would probably cycle to and from as its not far away :biggrin: I will think this one over

stevevw

Guru
Add me to the list please. :rolleyes:

Should be on my new bike by then with 23's so perhaps we can get an alternate route planned for those with thin wheels missing out the off road bits with meet up points further along the route?

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I might be up for this...cant commit totally until much closer the time though. To be honest I made a solem vow to myself in the middle of a bleak German forest that I would never ride off road again :rolleyes:. My galaxy has 28 marathon plus's so it would probably be ok ...but I'd still prefer to stay on road. If i bring the bianchi which would be my preference in good weather then it's a defo on road only for me.

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
If enough people want to stick to the road only we can easily do that, no major problem, just misses out on a couple of picturesque bits of the journey. We can discuss it nearer the time.

Also we'll have to look into the train issue nearer the time as it looks like there will be replacement buses between Shenfield & Colchester/Manningtree and they don't allow bikes. The London contingent might have to come to some car-sharing agreement, perhaps, although that's a bit of a shame.

Top Bottom