CycleChat Ride - 2 May - Manningtree/Colchester/Tiptree (i.e. north-east Essex)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RabbitFood

Hi all,

Im looking to get into group cycle rides are newbies welcome to come along?

I have never been on a group cycle ride but would really like to and im very new to road racing and road racing bikes but have always wanted to.

If I am welcome then what sort of speeds would you be looking at so that I am not left behind and so that you dont fell you need to slow down for me ect?

Thanks

RabbitFood said:
Hi all,

I have never been on a group cycle ride but would really like to and im very new to road racing and road racing bikes but have always wanted to.

If I am welcome then what sort of speeds would you be looking at so that I am not left behind and so that you dont fell you need to slow down for me ect?

Thanks

It was kind of you to lettuce know rabbit food. ;)

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
RabbitFood said:
Hi all,

Thanks

Hi Rabbit Food, no one gets left behind and everyone is welcome. As an example speeds on Saturday's ride would have averaged between 12 - 14 mph.

RabbitFood

i take it you need to be regulars to get the personalities on here lol

its rabbit food cos thats what it feels like im eating all the time trying to lose weight and tone up lol

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
FatFella has given an average for Saturday. I logged it as 12.1 overall which is hardly racehorse speed. Similarish route in terms of hilliness, I suppose.

Anyway you're welcome, RabbitFood, it would be good to have you come along. If you do this 50 mile ride you should burn off enough calories to have a curry rather than rabbit food! What part of the world are you from?

RabbitFood

now curry sounds more like it, can we not finish the ride at a curry house lol

I am from Wickford, near basildon for anyone that has not heard of it. I play football on a saterday afternoon and train on a tuesday night and hit the gym 3 or 4 times a week and have a not abd level of fitness but id love to get in to some bike racing this year.

Rabbit

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
What a shame you missed the Essex ride on Saturday that started in Billericay, then! I know exactly where Wickford is as I grew up in Thundersley; there are several other forumites in your part of the world.

My part of the world has one of the best curry houses there is, renowned far and wide in the sailing community - Kovalam in Brightlingsea. Unfortunately it would be a significant detour to get there and you always have to book for a Saturday night so curry's out. You can have one when you get home! If people want to stay and eat up at Colchester/Manningtree that would be fine, I expect we'll find out nearer the time.

You mention bike racing in your post; of course these rides aren't racing, they're relaxed group rides, trundling along really. If you want racing that's going for it you might try Chelmsford's Chelmer Cycling Club which does loads of rides, including Sunday ones. It's a really good club and they have their own building which has turbo trainers and loads of other stuff. If you just want to cycle with a bunch of nice people at a leisurely pace then the CC rides will be for you. There's a Hilly London one being organised by djtheglove here: http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=27002 which could be fun for you if you can get into London with your bike and if you can cope with hills!

RabbitFood

THanks

road racing is where i want to get to but I also want to build up to it with road rides like you said and not racing and also get to know tohers in to road bikes ect because I dont know anyone and at 29 think im past winning road racing but i love to give it a try once i know more about road bikes and getting out on the road with groups like yours then moving on to road racing.

Thanks again, ill have to get into shape big time

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Auntie Helen said:
You're welcome Dudi! Our average speed isn't quite to your standard but it's great fun cycling in company.

I think it was a one off, he normally seems much slower when I see him commuting xx(

Top Bottom