CycleChat Ride - 2 May - Manningtree/Colchester/Tiptree (i.e. north-east Essex)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonno

Guru
As this is right on my doorstep (Tiptree), i could possibly give it a go.
Can we clarify the date yet?, can't do the april ride as i'll be in Mallorca :sad:
By the way don't forget the excellent cafe in Birch !

And Aunt Helen, fancy telling that poor rabbit guy to seek out the Chelmer CC :smile: He should try the Essex roads CC, they meet in Billericay high road sundays, (see thier website) have different ability group rides and are a lot more friendly xx( .... and i'm not even a member :smile:

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Bonno said:
As this is right on my doorstep (Tiptree), i could possibly give it a go.
Can we clarify the date yet?, can't do the april ride as i'll be in Mallorca xx(
Main date is May 2nd.

The alternative date is going to change from Saturday 18th to... something else. This is because there are now engineering works on Saturday 18th so no trains to Manningtree, plus a midweek ride suits some other people more. Nearer the date I'll suggest some possible dates for the midweek one and see what suits the most people.

stevevw

Guru
Helen
Time for a roll call of those that will be able to make the 2nd even with the disruption to the trains.

Put me down. I will try and drag at least another couple along too, will confirm later.

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Copied from the other thread, information about getting to this ride and whether it should take place!

Well folks, the next official CC ride is the 2nd May Manningtree to Tiptree one by moi.

The problem is, as hinted at before, our local train company has decided that no-one who lives further out of London than Billericay could possibly wish to travel by train any weekend this year. They are doing engineering works almost constantly for the next month or so.

What this means is that, despite the swap with Peter for April at which point May seemed engineering-works-free, there is now a problem with the ride for May.

Trains are running between Ingatestone and Manningtree but not from Liverpool Street to Ingatestone which has replacement buses (which don't allow bikes). This is a journey of 22 miles.

The only options appear to be:

(a) Cycle from London to Ingatestone and then get a train
(:sad: Cycle from London to Manningtree and expire in a heap when you get there
(c) Come by car and warm the globe
(d) Move house to live in North East Essex.

The fourth option is, of course, the sensible one all round, but probably not practicable in a four week timeframe.

I'm taking a roll call of names of attendees to see if it's worth still having the ride or whether we should postpone.

I shall add that I am doing this exact ride tomorrow in company with someone else and will finalise the route (avoiding all off-road sections) at that point.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Auntie Helen said:
I just redid the blurb on the first post of this thread and had included you there! You are now added to the later post too! :biggrin:

Thanks :smile:. Booked the Sat evening off work as planning on riding to and from the start. :sad:

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Okay Auntie H,

Am a 99% in as Ive got quite a few birthdays then, including my sisters, but am sure I can make her change her plans for me! hehehe!

Only condition is I do want to see some white stilleto welding tracy n sharons, and then am 100% hehehe! I shall probably get the train as advised on the other thread, unless Aperitif comes along too and really wants to cycle to whole way!

stevevw

Guru
Davywalnuts said:
Only condition is I do want to see some white stilleto welding tracy n sharons, and then am 100% hehehe! I shall probably get the train as advised on the other thread, unless Aperitif comes along too and really wants to cycle to whole way!

As I will be going in my camper i can bring my Mig welder along, not certain Tray n Shaz will enjoy welding their stilleto's thou. ;)

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Think you gents are confusing North East Essex with South Essex.

Up here, the locals consider themselves more a part of Suffolk than Essex. This is the Dedham Vale, home of Constable the artist, thatched cottages, fields teeming with wildlife, birdsong and farm life. South Essex is home of the Constable who'll nick you for having a dodgy number plate and the wildlife is all of the chav variety. (Gross generalisation, of course).

I do know of a Sharon at my local pub but she is something in the army (as is her husband) so one wouldn't want to try to weld her shoes... which would probably be army boots anyway.

So I think, Davy, you may be disappointed; all the ladies up here are as poised and well-coiffed as I am.

Top Bottom