CycleChat Investigates - Self Service Tills

What do you think of self service checkouts?

• I love them. They speed me swifty onwards with my purchases.

Votes: 29 34.9%
  • I can't stand them. They're not actually any quicker and take jobs from real humans.

Votes: 37 44.6%
  • Meh. Don't care so long as I get my shopping.

Votes: 12 14.5%
  • I don't have a TV.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm a shoplifter.

Votes: 5 6.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Personally I detest them and refuse to use them, and stand stoidally next to a till until a human being arrives.

Not only do I end up arguing with theee checkouts, they take peoples jobs.

And then, having reduced staff numbers and introduced what's essentially an honour system of payment, the shops complain about shoplifting.

So it is once again down to to wise and sage philosophers of CycleChat to decide.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
If the shop has them then I use them. Sometimes they don't work properly, but that's life. I can live with that.

Alex321

Veteran
I will usually use them unless I have coupons, which never seem to work with the self service tills without getting an assistant to help.

It's very much a swings and roundabout things. In the end, my Best Fit Vote was:
"They're not actually any quicker and take jobs from real humans."
Which is down to 2 main defects:
- the rucksack problem. I just want to put my bag in the loading area, and bung stuff in. This never works [citation: other CC threads]
- full-sized trolleys: these are too big for my local self-service area, and they've usually shut all the human-manned tills when I'm there.

Both bl00dy stupid features!

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Sometimes use them at my local supermarket when the queue at the other tills are too long.

Confession time - for small quantities, i.e. one or two items or a basket, I much prefer self-service.

But for a trolley, I have the following problems:

1. Despite being on the trolley queue, when I put my bags on the scales at the end, it always complains about them being too heavy, and needs to be authorised before I continue.
2. I can guarantee that there is at least one item, usually more, that results in the "unexpected item in the bagging area" warning. Again, have to wait for someone to come over and "verify" the item. Usually involves them just logging in and passing the item rather than making any checks.
3. The charity bags need to be added by a supervisor rather than the shopper.
4. Alcohol. Again, needs verification that I am over 18. Even paying with a credit card and having my image captured (does anyone under 18 have as little hair, as much grey hair and as many wrinkles as me?) doesn't bypass this manual check.
5. Due to each item having to be bagged before we can scan the next one, it is slower than using a staffed till.
6. Tried to use a loyalty voucher (spend over a certain amount for each of 4 weeks). Auto till wouldn't accept it, and no way of logging this retrospectively. So lost the chance to get my points.

In the end it generally takes longer than getting in a long queue for a normal checkout desk.

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Can't stand them!
If I do deign to use them, I never manage to get more than a couple of items through before I have an unexpected bag in the item area and a person (who would be better employed at a proper till,) has to turn up and wibble a fob at the scanner to get things going again.

I love them - especially the ones where you scan the stuff yourself with a hand held scanner as you walk round
Hence - you can pack stuff into the bags as you pick them off the shelves when there is no rush to get things done and not delay other people

Much less stressful

I got into them ina bog way during lockdown where the idea that you don;t have to get near other people was a major advantage (wife was on the "shielding list" so I was constantly told that if I catch "it" and give it to her SHE WILL DIE!!!!!)

Anyway - the idea that I very seldom have to interact with another human is a big advantage in my book
occasionally I get a "check" thing come up - and sometimes it comes out wrong and they have to rescan everything
I refuse to feel guilty if it comes out wrong
If I end up getting something without paying for it then, in my case it will always be accidental, and I know that they constantly monitor excess "shrinkage" caused by self scan tills and have worked out that it is worth their while

so any bottle of wine that I get home with and not paid for are already allowed in their calculations - so it is morally OK as long as it is a genuine mistake on my part
If I discover I have got home with stuff I have not scanned I do not go back and tell them.
I have however, added extra items on if I realise when I am still at the till.

My morality can vary in some ways I suppose!

In Tesco Expresses, Sainsbury's Locals and the likes, where I'm likely only buying 2-3 items, I will use the self-checkout every time through choice - so much faster. But for a full shop with a trolley full, I'm almost always queuing up and getting it scanned the old fashioned way.

Situation like that are why I like the scan as you go type things
you pick it up, scan it and put it directly into the bag

no putting it on a conveyor then having to take it off after the operator has scanned it - then put it into a bag under time pressure

just roll up to the self service till and pay and walk out - much less stress especially after a big shop with several bags full!!!!

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom