Cyclecraft is "destroying" UK cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blockend

Glueman, is it really you?

Out and proud. Unfortunately the debate is as stuck as ever. It will be interesting to see what happens now the CTC has thrown in the towel but I think I'll stick to my own cycling Galapagos of one and let the campaign business do its worst - or nothing, whichever is more effective.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Out and proud. Unfortunately the debate is as stuck as ever. It will be interesting to see what happens now the CTC has thrown in the towel but I think I'll stick to my own cycling Galapagos of one and let the campaign business do its worst - or nothing, whichever is more effective.
Out and out to wind people up. 'Stuck' being a way of saying 'I've not convinced anybody'. And 'Galapagos of one' meaning criticising the efforts of others while not doing much of anything yourself. Soyanara!

blockend

Not out to wind people up at all, though hardly surprised debate is seen as controversial in some quarters. My point is as it ever was, there is no utility cycling outside a few hotspots and it's pure myth to believe there is. I'd say 40+ years of bike riding was statement of intent in itself with or without the approval of self-appointed gurus.
I'd go further and say cycle campaigning has done nothing for utility cycling, except perhaps increase the likelihood of prosecution of a few errant drivers. Hardly a winning appraisal after decades of money being spent on its behalf. If that conclusion is a 'wind-up' I suggest you need to take the blinkers off and smell your double de-caff.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
the roads in the immediate area where I live are 20mph limit. although i suspect that 99% of the drivers who use them are thinking thats the minimum speed. having the limit is one thing, enforcing it is another .

and please don't think for a minute i think they are a bad idea, they will work brilliantly when all motorists abide by the rules.

I live in a 30mph zone. I've timed vehicles* doing 45+mph down my street. If they drive at 30mph in a 20mph zone that would be a significant improvement in the qulaity of the environment.

*and been felt by the long arm of Inspector Knacker as a result of doing so.

subaqua

What’s the point
I live in a 30mph zone. I've timed vehicles* doing 45+mph down my street. If they drive at 30mph in a 20mph zone that would be a significant improvement in the qulaity of the environment.

*and been felt by the long arm of Inspector Knacker as a result of doing so.

yes that would be an improvement. even the road humps don't deter em here , you can hear the underbody skids hitting the bump (either side too) .

one day i am just gonna step out and see what happens . not when they are close enough to hit me but close enough so they scrae emselves.

next to deal with is the idiots on mobiles , but thats a whole new thread.

In spite of frequent provocation, only to be expected in a board that treats alternative opinions as a virus, I haven't insulted anyone.

You do remind me of the Black Knight though as large chunks of your argument get lopped off by the facts while you declare " 'tis but a scratch"

blockend

Tell you what, I'll do an hour's car and bike count on my nearest main road in the rush hour in the next few weeks and we'll discuss the outcome then. Have your excuses ready.

subaqua

What’s the point
Tell you what, I'll do an hour's car and bike count on my nearest main road in the rush hour in the next few weeks and we'll discuss the outcome then. Have your excuses ready.

depends on your definition of main road that does.

the nearest main road to me at the moment is the A12. not gonna see any cyclists on the section i can see from here in work.

statistics can be used to show anything. in fact 92% OF STATISTICS ARE MADE UP (with a nod of the head to Mark Twain)

jonesy

Guru

For some odd reason you seem to have got the impression someone has claimed that there are lots of cyclists on your nearest main road. Perhaps you could point out the post that makes that claim?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
For some odd reason you seem to have got the impression someone has claimed that there are lots of cyclists on your nearest main road. Perhaps you could point out the post that makes that claim?

Yes it's very confusing. I can't even remember whether Blockend has told us where he lives...

U

User482

Now now, Jonesy. Your demand for logic and reasoning is quite simply a beastly affront to prejudice.

jonesy

Guru
Now now, Jonesy. Your demand for logic and reasoning is quite simply a beastly affront to prejudice.

Well let's not jump to conclusions, we shouldn't rule out the possibility that, for some reason we haven't thought of, the number of cyclists on blockend's road can be used to falsify our arguments in favour of traffic reduction, speed restraint, reallocation of roadspace, sustainable land use planning and urban design; but I'm not holding my breath...

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Well let's not jump to conclusions, we shouldn't rule out the possibility that, for some reason we haven't thought of, the number of cyclists on blockend's road can be used to falsify our arguments in favour of traffic reduction, speed restraint, reallocation of roadspace, sustainable land use planning and urban design; but I'm not holding my breath...

OK, so let me get this straight, because I'm not quite sure about the threshold of proof here - if there are less than ten cyclists on Blockend's road in a given hour, we're all f***ed, right?

blockend

Fortunately for me, a few blokes on a messageboard with astronomical post counts do not represent objectivity or good manners. I'll ask the same question I came in with and hope for a different answer, is utility cycling in Britain as a whole numerically meaningful as a means of transport, or a splendid diversion for a few amateur politicians?

jonesy

Guru
OK, so let me get this straight, because I'm not quite sure about the threshold of proof here - if there are less than ten cyclists on Blockend's road in a given hour, we're all f***ed, right?

Well I'm not really sure, because the argument is a bit too complex for me, but maybe it is a bit like me being able to work out whether there is any future for renewable energy by looking out of my upstairs window ... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom