Cyclenation 30th May Manchester

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Will1985

Über Member
Isn't that CC velodrome day?

AWG

Don't wish to give the impression of being cynical, but I am. I think Manchester has all it is going to offer cyclists now for many years. It is a reasonable place for bike use but not somewhere older people or people with children would cycle into, - more like catch the train into and hope there is room for a couple of bikes onboard!

I think we need to look at why people go into Manchester. To work? Well if so then risk death on many of the roads leading in from the satellite towns that circle the City. Shopping? Try carrying a paper Primark bag while using a bike, - the handles fall off just walking to Piccadilly Station!

More facilities (vastly more facilities) need to be provided by Train companies so that people could use part train/part bike travel. Far more facilities need to be offered by the City too for safe, lockable storage of bikes (if you saw the pathetically inadequate 'token gesture' provided in Piccadilly Gardens!). To make me and my wife feel safe though it would take separate cycleways - and not just a bit of white paint on the road. Actually saw a driving instructor allowing his pupil to drive in a cycle lane in Wilmslow the other day!

Any further views?

Of course Manchester has offered cycling as a sport in Britain the ultimate dream. Hope this dream continues into the London Olympics.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Well, bear in mind that Cyclenation is a national event, with campaigners from all over the country attending, and not confined in its consideration to Manchester. Although....there is no secure cycle parking at the venue!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Could have gone actually, someone else from my local group took up the offer I believe. I got pretty much put off from going by lunacy local issues such as 20mph zones and campaigning on ASLs.

Top Bottom