Cycling and drinking, should we do it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
What about headphones and hi-viz?
I'd have to be trashed to wear space lemon.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I cycled home after about 8 pints once. Probably a bit extreme and not very sensible, but hey, it was only 5 miles. I could feel myself weaving about. Thankfully it was late and there were few cars on the road, but the ones that did probably had a good laugh.

Before anyone criticises me, I was wearing a helmet and had lights front and rear.
Do they make you immune from criticism then? ;)

Hip Priest

Veteran
Do they make you immune from criticism then? ;)

thatsthejoke.jpg

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
This short john bike is much nicer than the beer, though if the crate were loaded with Jacobsen's I wouldn't say no.
short-john-carlsberg.jpg

So the same rules should apply for motorists then?
After all if cyclists can do it why not motorists or are there different rules for cyclists?
When cars are required to have a bell fixed to the steering wheel at the time of first sale, and drivers are required to have reflectors on their pedals, your argument MIGHT just hold water.

Until then ........

kiriyama

I used to work in a pub in London.At the end of ever shift i would have a beer and cycle home usually about 1am...my route was a relaxed one that took me along back streets and through parks, not many busy roads, at the time I had a crappy mountain bike and never any problems....

One day instead of a beer I had a redbull.... ended up in A&E!

OP
OP
S

steve50

Disenchanted Member
When cars are required to have a bell fixed to the steering wheel at the time of first sale, and drivers are required to have reflectors on their pedals, your argument MIGHT just hold water.

Until then ........

I want to see a "Drivers get out and push" sign first.

well neither of the above hold much water, cars are required to have a horn attached to the steering wheel and reflectors are at the rear of the car where they belong.
What you are basically saying is its ok for cyclists to drink to the point where they are over the limit then cycle on a public highway but car drivers can't.
the reasons car drivers cannot drive whilst over the limit (I am aware that some do) is because their judgement is affected to a point where it is unsafe for them to be in control of their vehicle, surely this rule by default should also apply to cyclists.

Tim Hall

well neither of the above hold much water, cars are required to have a horn attached to the steering wheel and reflectors are at the rear of the car where they belong.
What you are basically saying is its ok for cyclists to drink to the point where they are over the limit then cycle on a public highway but car drivers can't.
the reasons car drivers cannot drive whilst over the limit (I am aware that some do) is because their judgement is affected to a point where it is unsafe for them to be in control of their vehicle, surely this rule by default should also apply to cyclists.
Consider the damage a pissed up cyclist in charge of 10kg of metal can do and compare it with the damage a pissed up motorist can do in charge of 1000kg of metal.

swansonj

Guru
As has been pointed out already, the law already treats different road users differently. HGV and PSV drivers are already treated differently from other drivers in a number of ways, in recognition that the consequences if they get it wrong are on average greater. You are asking us to accept an equivalence between car drivers and cyclists. Such an equivalence is counter not just to common sense but to the principles on which road law is based.

Edit: TMNs to Tim and Adrian, my typing was too slow

Top Bottom