Cycling and Football

Discussion in 'Training, Fitness and Health' started by WildGooze, 13 Jul 2012.

1. WildGooze

WildGooze Regular

Anybody cycle a lot and play footy? (not at the same time obviously!)

I commute to work and switch between two bikes, mountain bike and road bike. I also play five a side once a week after work - this doesn't stop me cycling into work.

However, I've noticed that when I've been on the road bike I find it a lot harder work playing footy, my legs feel a little heavier even though I'm cycling the same distance.

Anyone else have the same experience??

2. I've never had that problem, perhaps you push it a little harder on the road bike.

3. Smoggie_87

Smoggie_87 Active Member

I've played four, 40-minute games of 5-a-side this week (averages between 1-4 games). I find my commute of 2 miles to work as a good stretch out.

4. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Yeh, can't play football. Stupid game, god invented the wheel, far better than a pigs stomach.

5. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Back to being serious. I am too far down the line of being a cyclist, 26 years doing it serious. I cant switch sports easily. Fitness is good but muscle use is very different. TBH I was only any good at longer distance running at school, got into bikes after that, and that's me....

6. ufkacbln

ufkacbln Guest

Why not?

7. Smoggie_87

Smoggie_87 Active Member

Ha, that's brilliant Cunobelin.

8. SimonC

SimonC Well-Known Member

I do both, have even won a few Saturday afternoon road races, after playing football in the morning. Legs felt fine on the bike, which is probably the opposite to the question you are asking :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice