cycling and glasses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I have some Planet X glasses with RX inserts. The optician I use positioned the zones of the varifocal lenses in the inserts to allow for my position on a road bike.

defy-one

So ..... Changed my glasses from varifocal back to single vision, with no photochromatic finish. I was struggling with reading really small serial numbers off our computer systems, and it's just as easy to pull the specs off and read.
For cycling (and general use) will be contact lenses a quality pair of polarised sunglasses from Ray Ban or Oakley. For reading,need to buy some +1 reading glasses from boots.
Looking forward to my ride tommorow :-)

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
If your buying specs just for cycling ask about unbreakable lenses. I have a pair and had a stone ping off one lens without even scratching it.

I have cycled with several different pairs of specs. Some seem to fog up more than others but other than that no problems .My eyesight isnt really good enough to ride without specs.

Trickedem

Guru
I am shortsighted, so anything more than 6 feet away is blurry. I also found I couldn't really cycle with my varifocals. I now cycle wearing one contact lens. This does the longer distance and my other eye does the near stuff like looking at a map, satnav etc. This arrangement works really well for me and I can see into the distance as well as close up. Ask your optician if this would work for you?

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Another shortsight with a bit of astigmatism too. The current fashion for 'letterbox' lenses has a lot to answer for even without the complication of varifocal prescriptions. Aviator style or Fignon's bike wheels are the way to go.

Top Bottom