cycling and photography

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hoopdriver

Guru
Some of you may know that I write a cycling blog called My Bicycle and I - and by way of introduction for those who don't I am a magazine writer and photographer who happens to love cycling and bicycles, and in order to give myself an outlet for cycling inspired writings and photographs I started this blog some months ago. Now, I have been shooting photos for many years - travel stuff mainly, but journalistic stuff as well when I was with Time Magazine - but it wasn't until I began shooting for the blog that I realized how tricky it can be tying to get decent shots of yourself on a bicycle. Over the past few months I have shot many thousands of frames using self timers, remote shutter releases and learned a fair few tricks on how to compose a shot when you're not yet in it - stuff that I really wish I had known when I was doing a lot of touring on my own. And so I am starting a series of posts about travel photography and cycling, and how to take on-the-road photos of yourself when you're traveling on your own - or in a group, for that matter, when you want everybody in the shot and up and moving.

The first post - today's, on cameras - is here:

http://my-bicycle-and-i.co.uk/2012/photography-on-the-road/

I hope you'll find it useful.

Oxo

Guru
Just had a quick look and found your site both interesting and informative. I'll certainly look again.

rodgy-dodge

An Exceptional Member
As Bicyclist I'll read it all properly later with interest. I nearly always take my little cannon digital sure shot out with me. At present this is an issue with my OH! a simple request I asked him to take a lovely picture of me on my bike! after bout 12 failed attempts I gave up trying to show him how to use the blumming thing! :banghead:

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I took my picture with the camera set on close up and at arms length ! Great site,really enjoy reading the articles so far............p.s. i'm a Nikon man,Canon,Pah :whistle:

D

Deleted member 20519

I've always got my Fujifilm in my bag, giving the blog a read over now :thumbsup:

OP
OP
hoopdriver

hoopdriver

Guru
I took my picture with the camera set on close up and at arms length ! Great site,really enjoy reading the articles so far............p.s. i'm a Nikon man,Canon,Pah :whistle:
I was an avid Nikon man in my film days. I switched over to Canon when I went digital. They are both brilliant makes.

Finnjävel

I bought the cheapest waterproof second-hand compact with decent reviews I could find on ebay for just this kind of use. Lots of stuff out there to take pictures of, and usually I can't be arsed to dig out and unlock the phone, not that it has a great camera on it.

You blog looks interesting, I'll be sure to follow it.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I was an avid Nikon man in my film days. I switched over to Canon when I went digital. They are both brilliant makes.
Still got my old Nikon F.3 kit,love it ! Might even have a play if i can get some film cheap enough

soulful dog

Veteran
Looks good, I like your photos but please, caption them, or at very least name them properly. Be nice to know where the location is other than just 'Fox-Seafront'.... Or is it just me?

OP
OP
hoopdriver

hoopdriver

Guru
Looks good, I like your photos but please, caption them, or at very least name them properly. Be nice to know where the location is other than just 'Fox-Seafront'.... Or is it just me?
Ah - those are file numbers. I thought I'd shucked those. The photo to which you refer was shot on the seafront at Bexhill-on-Sea, here in Sussex. I'll fix this.

I look forward to your series on this. I enjoy cycle touring and photography. I sometimes make a little video to go along with a cycle trip*. I use a bullet cam and/or a Nikon D500 dSLR with either one or two zooms and a tripod. Most of the time i shoot with moving images in mind but for my next planned trip in September (mainly on the Lon Las Cymru) I want to incorporate more still images into the movies as well as get some worthy images in their own right. I hope to get some top tips please!

Thanks

*Shameless plug
Tissington Tandem
Coast and Castles
Cycling Underwater
Travels With A Daughter
100+ Miles Mini Cycle Tour
Wet and Windy Mini Cycle Tour

OP
OP
hoopdriver

hoopdriver

Guru
I look forward to your series on this. I enjoy cycle touring and photography. I sometimes make a little video to go along with a cycle trip*. I use a bullet cam and/or a Nikon D500 dSLR with either one or two zooms and a tripod. Most of the time i shoot with moving images in mind but for my next planned trip in September (mainly on the Lon Las Cymru) I want to incorporate more still images into the movies as well as get some worthy images in their own right. I hope to get some top tips please!

Thanks

*Shameless plug
Tissington Tandem
Coast and Castles
Cycling Underwater
Travels With A Daughter
100+ Miles Mini Cycle Tour
Wet and Windy Mini Cycle Tour
I envy you the Lôn Las Cymru trip. I did that once and loved it - the most beautiful cycle tour I've ever done. And I wish I had known then some of the self-portrait, self-timer techniques I've learned since.

I've added another installent this morning - on carry-along tripods. I hope you'll find it useful

http://my-bicycle-and-i.co.uk/

Top Bottom