cycling and photography

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I envy you the Lôn Las Cymru trip. I did that once and loved it - the most beautiful cycle tour I've ever done.
Really looking forward to it. Hope it doesn't rain too much!

I've added another installent this morning - on carry-along tripods. I hope you'll find it useful.
Read it. Thanks.

I've got one of these Gorillapods (compact camera size) and it is OK although I found the clamp for the B&S head a bit weak to be honest. I've been using a bigger tripod for the dSLR but it is a bit of a faff to carry and set up and so reduces opportunities and enthusiasm a tad. I'll have to look again at the bigger Gorillapod.

I await your next installment!

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I had an F3. Great camera. That was the one I sold when I went digital. Lot of good memories of using that camera all those years ago.
Mines staying with me,it was the camera i always wanted when i had Pentax ME-super's ! Now i have one i am not letting go !

OP
OP
hoopdriver

hoopdriver

Guru
Really looking forward to it. Hope it doesn't rain too much!

Read it. Thanks.

I've got one of these Gorillapods (compact camera size) and it is OK although I found the clamp for the B&S head a bit weak to be honest. I've been using a bigger tripod for the dSLR but it is a bit of a faff to carry and set up and so reduces opportunities and enthusiasm a tad. I'll have to look again at the bigger Gorillapod.

I await your next installment!
As for tripds, do you know that Monfrotto makes a five-section one for compact cameras? Folds up to just 50cms and weighs less than one kilo. I have one and have been using it fairly often the last few weeks and will be doing a review fairly soon. The short version: I like it a lot, but it is strictly for compacts, not sturdy enough for an SLR.

As for tripds, do you know that Monfrotto makes a five-section one for compact cameras? Folds up to just 50cms and weighs less than one kilo. I have one and have been using it fairly often the last few weeks and will be doing a review fairly soon. The short version: I like it a lot, but it is strictly for compacts, not sturdy enough for an SLR.
I'm going to the shops this week to try out a dSLR Gorillapod for my camera and most used lens (18-200mm Nikkor) combo. If it does the job i'm getting one. Cheers.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I do a fair bit of touring and use my self-timer to get me, or me and my wife in shot - some of which appear in my sig cgoab. The Panasonic Lumix I use only has a 10 second timer so it's a gorilla grip and a mad dash usually. I'll read your blog with interest but I'm not sure I want any more weight than I already have on a tour if that is what's required.

OP
OP
hoopdriver

hoopdriver

Guru
I do a fair bit of touring and use my self-timer to get me, or me and my wife in shot - some of which appear in my sig cgoab. The Panasonic Lumix I use only has a 10 second timer so it's a gorilla grip and a mad dash usually. I'll read your blog with interest but I'm not sure I want any more weight than I already have on a tour if that is what's required.
I don't blame you for not wanting more weight - a Joby Gorilla and a compact are usually enough for going on tour and you should be able to get some great photos with that arrangement. If you want to give yourself more time to get in front of the camera or to take multiple shots, you could consider getting a Hahnel Giga T Pro II wireless remote shutter release. I have been trialling one with my Canon compacts and from what I've seen so far, I like them. You clip one part onto the camera's hotshoe and plug the cable from it into the cable release port on the camera body. The other bit you take with you and can fire the shutter remotely - from up to 100 metres away according to the manufacturer. I'd say real life distances are somewhat shorter than that but the thing is you are not bound my a timer, and you can shoot as many shots as you like precisely when you want to. The device weighs next to nothing. I have just checked and they do make them for Panasonic cameras (as well as Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Sony etc) Not cheap, at about £60 (on Amazon) but very liberating.

Here's a link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hahnel-Giga...3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1344883872&sr=1-3

Just a thought

Norm

I'm going to the shops this week to try out a dSLR Gorillapod for my camera and most used lens (18-200mm Nikkor) combo. If it does the job i'm getting one. Cheers.
I've got one and have used it with a D300 / 18-200 kit, it seemed sturdy enough. I prefer my Cam-Cane monopod, though it's not too transportable on the bike.

OP
OP
hoopdriver

hoopdriver

Guru
Let me know how you go

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I still have a Cullman tripod set from the 80's which included a small alloy tripod,mount to screw in to wood,spike to attach tripod pole into soft ground and a clamp which can attach to handle bars,roll cages ect and finally a sucker type affair for smooth surfaces.The kit is well made from the then WEST Germany ,i'll post a piccy when i get a chance.

Well I got into Jessops (Manchester) today. Tried out the dSLR Zoom Gorillapod with my camera/lens and really liked it. They didn't have the Joby B&S head with QR and the young lad tried to tell me a Jessops own brand without a QR plate was as good. They also wanted £50.00 for the g/pod without a head!!

Needless to say they didn't get my custom. I'm all for supporting retail shops but i'm not paying through the nose. I've got another tab open at present and am looking for the best online deal.

[EDIT] Ordered a dSLR Zoom G/pod with Joby B&S for £40.00 with free P&P from Zeus Photo on Amazon. Jessops were charging £79.99 for the combo and they didn't even have it in stock!

OP
OP
hoopdriver

hoopdriver

Guru
Well I got into Jessops (Manchester) today. Tried out the dSLR Zoom Gorillapod with my camera/lens and really liked it. They didn't have the Joby B&S head with QR and the young lad tried to tell me a Jessops own brand without a QR plate was as good. They also wanted £50.00 for the g/pod without a head!!

Needless to say they didn't get my custom. I'm all for supporting retail shops but i'm not paying through the nose. I've got another tab open at present and am looking for the best online deal.

[EDIT] Ordered a dSLR Zoom G/pod with Joby B&S for £40.00 with free P&P from Zeus Photo on Amazon. Jessops were charging £79.99 for the combo and they didn't even have it in stock!
Amazon have some good prices on them at the moment, r at least they did when last I looked.

Oops - I see your edit came in as I was writing this.

So i will ake this a worthwhile comment by addng that they also have a good deal on Sandsk Extreme Pro memory cards - i just ordered a 16gb one for £27, down from £69. Sandisk Extreme Pro are great cards with 95mb/sec write speeds which is great fir video or large file stils.

Top Bottom