Cycling and six-packs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
Most people for whom cycling is their only form of exercise tend to have slight pot bellies, so the answer is a definite no!

Look at all the pros unzipping in the mountains. No six packs despite 5-6 % body fat. Sure they have enough core strength to do what they do but any excess muscle will only slow them down or get used as fuel.
I seem to remember reading somewhere that you needed to follow a pretty extraordinary diet and exercise regime to develop one. so relax chaps. Well remember a woman telling me with a certain disappointment bordering on anger that she didn't see any down the gym. You don't say!

Trevrev

Veteran
I have a six pack and i've worked bloody hard for it. One of my targets when I turned 50. How vain!! LOL... I cycle 15 miles a day for work. But I run loads too..............None of those two helped though. Hard gym work. Free weights and lots of floor work in the core area. Free weights really have helped tone me up nicely. :-)

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Speaking of pro cyclists, you need to remember that they are at the extreme end of upper body musculature. Basically, upper body muscles are a weight they don't need so, self-selecting, pros tend to have very little. Strip the fat off their bodies like Rasmussen and you're left with not much of anything. You and I (and CCers in general) will naturally have more upper body muscles than a pro cyclist. Strip the fat off our bodies and there will be 6 packs galore

keithmac

Guru
I have a six pack and i've worked bloody hard for it. One of my targets when I turned 50. How vain!! LOL... I cycle 15 miles a day for work. But I run loads too..............None of those two helped though. Hard gym work. Free weights and lots of floor work in the core area. Free weights really have helped tone me up nicely. :-)

I used to enjoy weight lifting, had it all setup in my shed. Then the shed got gradually taken over with all the kids toys etc and so did my motivation.

Might hire a skip and set it all back up again!.

Favourite exercise was deadlift and least favourite was squats.

Trevrev

Veteran
I used to enjoy weight lifting, had it all setup in my shed. Then the shed got gradually taken over with all the kids toys etc and so did my motivation.

Might hire a skip and set it all back up again!.

Favourite exercise was deadlift and least favourite was squats.

Deadlift and squats are the ones........But i'm with you. Squats kill. Both are great for shredding the fat. Not my favourite exercises, definitely the ones that work for a good allover workout.

keithmac

Guru
I did the Stronglifts 5x5, and added weighted stomach crunches in as well.

My lad keeps asking about doing weights so I may well resurrect the shed setup.

Wife thought I was mad wandering down in winter with a jumper on!.

I had a go years back with resistance machines in the gym but not a patch on free weights.

Top Bottom