1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cycling and the risk of impotency

Discussion in 'Training, Fitness and Health' started by Bigtallfatbloke, 11 Oct 2007.

1. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

...I read this can be an issue, and I can fully understand why after a ride like today, 90km with a new saddle & bar position. Ok so I went faster and didnt need an energy drink...just one bowl of cornflakes....but boy did I ever suffer from numb nutz syndrome.....still 'thawing out'...

...anyway too much detail I suspect....but is this likely to cause serious long term vertical challenges in the reproductive department?.....

2. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

Could also be seen as 'contraception'! :blush:

3. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

4. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

can it make you sterile? that would save me a nasty trip to the hospital for you know what…

5. Cycling Naturalist

Cycling Naturalist Legendary Member

I can assure you that if there were any problems, I'd have given up cycling ages ago.

6. Jacomus-rides-Gen

Jacomus-rides-Gen New Member

Yes BTFB, do worry, and do take numb nuts seriously.

Whats the point in being able to cycle for hours at a time if you can't put all that stamina to use??!!

7. Blue

Blue Legendary Member

I sometimes suffer from the NNS, but Mrs Blue never complains about any lack of attention. Unless I was trying for a family and experiencing problems I wouldn't worry - but each to his own!!

8. Jacomus-rides-Gen

Jacomus-rides-Gen New Member

Maybe this concerns me more as I'm 21 and haven't done any of the procreation aspect yet!

9. BentMikey

BentMikey Rider of Seolferwulf

Ride a recumbent innit.

10. Blonde

Blonde New Member

Dont put up with it. Get a holey saddle - that's what they are for (saddles, not nuts) - holey saddles prevent pressure on yer perrenial nerve thus stopping bits going numb.

11. Brixtonfixed

Brixtonfixed New Member

Wot Blonde said. I did the Polka Dot Challenge on a new bike with a Selle Italia SLR XP, posh saddle, an' all. At the first p*ss stop I couldn't feel the old chap at all -- and it took a while for sensation to return after the ride
    Switched to a Spesh Toupe -- holey saddle -- problem solved.

12. I have one of them SLR XPs which I rarely use, the designer clearly had something of a sense of humour, XP stands for extra padding!!!! :blush:

13. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

Stick with the numb nuts saddle. May see you on J Kyle in a couple of years then waiting for a DNA test :blush: :biggrin: xx(

14. Commuter

Commuter New Member

Peel the leather off your SLR, cut a slot out of the middle of the saddle, refit leather - sorted.
    That's what I did.

15. buggi

buggi Bird Saviour

Can it affect girls too? can't say i've noticed any numbness after long rides but then again i've always been too knackered to be up for much straight after! i have been a tad sore tho, when i rode to Paris, so surely it can't be much good for us either?