Cycling Around the World, Sadly had to return for major repairs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I talked recently to Stanforth over the phone, and I believe they use raw tubing. I was asking them about making a bike for me if I ditched this KOGA, and they would need my weight and planned usage so they can choose the best steel tubing for the job, which is what I like to hear. I'm sure there must be a few other throughout the UK.
...or rather Lee Cooper needs this info so he can select tubing gauges for the frame he builds for Stanforth :okay:
No detriment to Stanforth, BTW, but he's been doing this for a while longer than them, I think.

http://leecoopercycles.webs.com/

Unusually, I wouldn't go to Rourkes for a frame for this, as this brand of cycling is a good way away from most of their stock-in-trade (notwithstanding that they do all sorts of custom stuff like the land speed bike for Guy Martin, for instance)

Alan O

Über Member
Oh, and on the visa-free entry thing, the 30 days is only by arrival at an international airport. If you arrive overland (coming in from Laos or Cambodia, for example) without a visa, you only get 15 days - they do that to minimize the numbers of backpackers staying for long periods and just hopping over the border and back once a month. I found out the hard way, coming in from Myanmar at Mae Sai and only getting 15 days - but I was able to do a border trip into Laos later to get the days I needed.

I traveled overland from Bangkok to Siem Reap in Cambodia once, by a combination of train, bus and taxi, and it would have been very daunting by bike - the Cambodian dirt road was being repaired along its whole length, it was the rainy season, and it was just one long red earth mudbath. I look forward to seeing your photos if you do the same trip ^_^

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

...or rather Lee Cooper needs this info so he can select tubing gauges for the frame he builds for Stanforth :okay:
No detriment to Stanforth, BTW, but he's been doing this for a while longer than them, I think.

http://leecoopercycles.webs.com/

Unusually, I wouldn't go to Rourkes for a frame for this, as this brand of cycling is a good way away from most of their stock-in-trade (notwithstanding that they do all sorts of custom stuff like the land speed bike for Guy Martin, for instance)

Thanks for that, I will check out the website. I get what your saying too.

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

Oh, and on the visa-free entry thing, the 30 days is only by arrival at an international airport. If you arrive overland (coming in from Laos or Cambodia, for example) without a visa, you only get 15 days - they do that to minimize the numbers of backpackers staying for long periods and just hopping over the border and back once a month. I found out the hard way, coming in from Myanmar at Mae Sai and only getting 15 days - but I was able to do a border trip into Laos later to get the days I needed.

I traveled overland from Bangkok to Siem Reap in Cambodia once, by a combination of train, bus and taxi, and it would have been very daunting by bike - the Cambodian dirt road was being repaired along its whole length, it was the rainy season, and it was just one long red earth mudbath. I look forward to seeing your photos if you do the same trip ^_^

I could probably get away with just turning up to honest, then make a dash for the border and back :smile:, I'm sure it will all go well.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
I'd be very tempted to take the bike to Thorn and have a frank conversation with them. I've had four Thorns, in various guises, and found dealing with the company a very helpful and professional experience. I now run an Audax Mk 3 for touring and some audax, and a Raven for expeditions. I've found their telephone ordering staff very knowledgeable, professional and helpful. You'll see some people complaining that SJS can be pricey but I've not found that at all, and the ability to ring up, give your name and postcode and ask for "that bit that goes here" to be posted to you, wherever in the world you are, is worth its weight in gold. And my Rohloff has given perfect service. In Patagonia two spokes broke when a horseshoe was caught in the spokes but TBH I couldn't blame that on Thorn could I?

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

I'd be very tempted to take the bike to Thorn and have a frank conversation with them.

The bike is back with my dealer getting overhauled and I'm happy with that right now and just hope all goes well on my return to the tour. Was your trip to Patagonia part of an even bigger tour? I hope to reach Argentina and move up from there.

Thanks. Yes I know what you mean, I guess it was because when I first set out, the total weight including the bike, me, all the kit, was 206kg (454lb). Me being 151kg at the time. I know right :smile:. That's like 8 racing snakes plus their bikes, and a large grapefruit. I am now 132kg by the way, it fell off on the first part of my tour. I'm a big guy, not belly, and I was surprised to watch the shoulder, chest and the muscles in my arms fall away as the weeks went by. I'm back at the gym for a while now thank god. I have a friend who cycle tours and he weighs only half my weight, and of course with that clothing has less material too :smile: He gets away with any old frame and wheels.
Er thanks, but i don't consider the ridgeback "any old frame" :smile:
All the best.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I'd be very tempted to take the bike to Thorn and have a frank conversation with them. I've had four Thorns, in various guises, and found dealing with the company a very helpful and professional experience. I now run an Audax Mk 3 for touring and some audax, and a Raven for expeditions. I've found their telephone ordering staff very knowledgeable, professional and helpful. You'll see some people complaining that SJS can be pricey but I've not found that at all, and the ability to ring up, give your name and postcode and ask for "that bit that goes here" to be posted to you, wherever in the world you are, is worth its weight in gold. And my Rohloff has given perfect service. In Patagonia two spokes broke when a horseshoe was caught in the spokes but TBH I couldn't blame that on Thorn could I?
Dunno - I thought Robin had thought of everything, clearly not quite yet ^_^

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

You might be interested in taking a look at my fully loaded bike in this PDF I have created of the part of my tour through Spain, from San Sebastian in the north, through the Basque Country hills and mountains to Madrid, Madrid to Valencia on the Mediterranean Sea, then up the coast through Barcelona to the border of Southern France. For 33 days on this section, it was at times really lonely through the middle, but truly amazing over all. https://view.publitas.com/p222-15557/spain-a-bicycle-journey-stephen-peel/page/1

Top Bottom