Cycling Around the World, Sadly had to return for major repairs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

On the off chance anyone wants to read my cycling diaries, I am uploading them from posts on social media to my website, it will take me a few days or so to get them all up. They are just my take on each day: http://www.stephenpeel.co.uk/diaries

Seem to remember that somewhere in that interesting publication i encountered a phrase you don't often come across in cycling tales, reverse cowgirl. Twas a good article as i recall.

I am sure that expression will come in useful in Texas!
yes, be postive :smile:

Seem to remember that it was an article lamenting that cycle tourists aren't sexy.

just about to send you a pm by the way.

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

Next Leg: Marseille France to Livorno Italy, via Sardinia and Corsica

The bike is currently being converted so the Rohloff hub works with a heavy duty chain as apposed to the Gates carbon belt. It is with Cyclesense in Leeds at this time who are carrying out all the work, and who are also including service, tyres and tubes, bottom bracket and other things, and it will be ready for collection shortly. I will then be giving it some working in before I return to France at the end of Feb and hopefully at the end of the worst of the winter weather.

I have arranged car hire from here in Liverpool to Dover, then a ferry across the channel and a night in Calais before picking up another car and driving across France to Marseille where I have another night in digs. I might even try to see if I can get those nights with Warmshowers hosts, I will have to look into that as that would be really interested, having never done that before.

I continue my tour from the point I left off before the bike problems. It will then be a couple of short days cycling over a few hills to Toulon where my ferry will take me over to Alghero in Sardinia on March 4th.

I was going to fly from Liverpool to Marseille, but as I'm not in that much of a rush I want my bike to arrive in one piece for its first return to the tour. I am aware that at some point I will have to send the bike by air, but while I don't have to, I won't.

I was originally planning to follow the coast around from Marseille to Livorno, but after doing a little investigating, I would love to visit Sardinia and Corsica in March when the spring flowers start to appear. I am told it is beautiful and will make for some great photographs.

I will cycle across Sardinia to Olbia and up to Santa Teresa Gallura. Then its a short ferry ride to Bonifacio in the south of Corsica, followed by a good few days cycling up to Bastia in the north, before getting a ferry to Livorno and mainland Italy. A total of around 420 km's through Sardinia and Corsica, and if weather permits it should be wonderful.

From Livorno its over to Pisa, before following the coast down through Rome and Naples. I will likely have some time to chill in Rome for a week or so maybe. Remember, I reserve the right to change anything at any time :smile:

Toulon%20to%20Sardinia.jpg

Interesting, but a slightly peculiar route maybe.

Any reason why you aren't going corsica/sardinia/sicily?

Yes sardinia in the spring is great (better by far for cycling than the frying summers) as long as you are prepared for possible rain.

Alan O

Über Member
The bike is currently being converted so the Rohloff hub works with a heavy duty chain as apposed to the Gates carbon belt. It is with Cyclesense in Leeds at this time who are carrying out all the work, and who are also including service, tyres and tubes, bottom bracket and other things, and it will be ready for collection shortly. I will then be giving it some working in before I return to France at the end of Feb and hopefully at the end of the worst of the winter weather.
When your bike's ready and back with you, let me know if you fancy meeting up for a social ride - I'm just across the water from you, and I love cycling round the Wirral/Cheshire. And there are one or two others in the area who might like to come along - it would be nice to give you a sort of "CycleChat" send-off!

Alan

jay clock

Massive member
Stephen I can vouch for Corsica big time https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1p6&doc_id=2307&v=8w

However having done it by bike inland/West and North and down the east coast by motorbike I would say that the east coast road is very dull flat and straight compared to the rest.. All relative of course but from Porto vechio northwards is not exciting

Also tourist facilities will be limited in March. And even places that look big on the map are tiny.. Really tiny

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

Any reason why you aren't going corsica/sardinia/sicily?

Yes sardinia in the spring is great (better by far for cycling than the frying summers) as long as you are prepared for possible rain.

Yes, it does seem a bit weird, but the reason is that I want to cycle along the coast of Italy from Pisa through Rome to Naples, then overland to Brindisi to get the ferry to Greece. Its just the kind of guy I am :smile:, but seriously, if I had gone through Corsica then Sardinia, I would have missed out on the places I really want to see, as I also want to see Corsica and Sardinia. I hadn't even given Sicily a thought to be honest, I think because I have been basing my ferry to Greece from Brindisi.

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

When your bike's ready and back with you, let me know if you fancy meeting up for a social ride

Sounds like a plan, I have just been doing a few rides from here at Halewood to Liverpool city centre (22miles return) to keep my legs moving on my old hybrid. But yes, a ride sounds good to me Alan.

Top Bottom