Cycling Around the World, Sadly had to return for major repairs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

Stephen I can vouch for Corsica big time

Just been looking at your blog, and I have to say it was nice of them at Nice to have bike stand for you. I will do some more reading through it later it looks quite a beautiful place. Yes, I appreciate it might be a bit flat, but after such a long break from the tour, I don't mind that idea really. I have noticed there are some stunning bays and great little spots. It sounds quite relaxing before hitting the main drag between Pisa and Naples.

Corsica a bit flat?

Thanks for the reply above. If you still have the legs for it after the big trip I can recommend a return trip to sardinia to see more of it, especially off season.

Last edited:
OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

Corsica a bit flat?

Thanks for the reply above. If you still have the legs for it after the big trip I can recommend a return trip to sardinia to see more of it, especially off season.

:smile: Yes the flattish bit is the bit near running along the East coast from top to bottom, I think. I have been looking at the island and it looks like I will be missing an awful lot, but Sardinia is quite a size to circumnavigate, baring in mind my vague plans. I did look to see if I could get a ferry to Cagliari at first, but no joy with in reason. It would have been nice to have cycled right through it, well, near the edge anyway :smile:

tyreon

I keep dropping into you from time to time,just to see what's up.

Earlier,my wife and myself had been cycling thru Portugal,end to end. If we had downtime and I was laying on my bed having done my knickers,my wife would say,What's that bloke you're following up to? Where is he? I'd say,not much today. Or comment upon your bike and its problems. Luv'd thos pics from Spain. Those open vistas! Nectar!
This is OT(so I hope it doesn't get removed) Wonder if you've read Muscle by Sam Fussell. Fascinating. And have you been 'felt' by Purple Aki? Or heard of him?
Best wishes

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

And have you been 'felt' by Purple Aki? Or heard of him?
Best wishes

Its funny, but I have heard of Purple Aki, and I asked my wife if she had heard of him as she is Liverpool born. She said of course, we were all scared of Purple Aki and she says he's still alive today somewhere. He would grab kids and make them feel uncomfortable, but scary more than anything back then. What makes you connect Aki with me? :smile:

jay clock

Massive member
Just been looking at your blog, and I have to say it was nice of them at Nice to have bike stand for you. I will do some more reading through it later it looks quite a beautiful place. Yes, I appreciate it might be a bit flat, but after such a long break from the tour, I don't mind that idea really. I have noticed there are some stunning bays and great little spots. It sounds quite relaxing before hitting the main drag between Pisa and Naples.
All I am saying is that the rest of the island is simply stunning and that stretch of road is not. And the rest of the island is VERY hilly whereas that coast is 166km and only 1300m of climbing. And by Corsican standards it is a busy main road. And mostly there is not an alternative

Having said all that inland can be snowy!!

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

All I am saying is that the rest of the island is simply stunning and that stretch of road is not. And the rest of the island is VERY hilly whereas that coast is 166km and only 1300m of climbing. And by Corsican standards it is a busy main road. And mostly there is not an alternative

Having said all that inland can be snowy!!
I noticed that about the road too when I was putting in direction for bicycles, there seemed few alternatives and no hard shoulders.

Alan O

Über Member
Sounds like a plan, I have just been doing a few rides from here at Halewood to Liverpool city centre (22miles return) to keep my legs moving on my old hybrid. But yes, a ride sounds good to me Alan.
Ah, south end of the Liverpool Loop line, and part of a circular ride I've done (I live about a mile from near the mid-point of the loop line and often ride to one end and back for fitness). Going clockwise it would be Loop Line, out at Halewood/Speke, along the river to just North of the city centre, on to the Leeds-Liverpool canal towpath (just by where the old Heritage market used to be), along the canal to just past Aintree racecourse, then back on to the northern end of the Loop Line.

It's actually a while since I last did that route, https://www.strava.com/activities/936414381, and it was a bit over 40 miles - but it's easy to cut short at the Pier Head and ride across town to pick up the Loop Line around the middle for a shorter ride.

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

Ah, south end of the Liverpool Loop line, and part of a circular ride

Just looking at you strava map and it’s strange to see 130meter climb. I always picture Liverpool flat but then remember the road coming from Queens Drive or Edge Lane and the slight drop into town.

tyreon

OT: Because you look like you have shifted some weights and have an interest in body building. As you say,you don't look like the typical cyclist(tho to contradict myself, isn't Kittel - the German cyclist - and another German sprinter, similarly heavily built)

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

OT: Because you look like you have shifted some weights and have an interest in body building. As you say,you don't look like the typical cyclist(tho to contradict myself, isn't Kittel - the German cyclist - and another German sprinter, similarly heavily built)

Got it. Yes I'm likely to be the weight of 6 racing snakes and their bikes and a large grapefruit, I think I mentioned :smile: . A physical life in the building industry has shaped me I guess. Bricklayers labourer in my young teens in Australia, Hod Carrier in my mid teens in Manchester, Bricklayers labourer again in Australia in my early 20's, and built my own building company for 20 years. Built like a brick sh#thouse :smile: I have always been into strength training too, and I'm back at the gym now while seeing the winter through.

I get the craziest of looks as I'm cycling down the road with all my kit, and when I'm off the bike talking to people about what I'm doing, they look me up and down in disbelief. I smile and tell them its cool, I get it all the time. Oh to be able to walk into a place like Decathlon and walk out with an item of clothing other than socks :smile:

hoopdriver

Guru
It's impressive that you've even attempted this so I wish you all the best when you resume the adventure. Don't worry about what others think of your videos etc., do this for yourself not for others.
Exactly. I write and shoot for a living, and to a high standard, but my cycling stuff is for me alone - I don't have to please an editor or a reader/viewer, but simply extend the pleasure of my bike rides through pictures and words without giving a damn who sees them or likes them. If you feel like shooting and writing as you go, do so by all means bit don't feel pressured, or be bothered in the least what anybody thinks/says. It is your journey to ride, and recall, as you see fit. You did really well so far and I've no doubt you'll have further grand adventures when you resume. Well done.

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

Exactly. I write and shoot for a living, and to a high standard, but my cycling stuff is for me alone

Thanks. As I am not a writer, but I do appreciate constructive critique, as when/if I complete this mammoth adventure I would consider writing a book. I'm training for that day :smile:. I post, and receive a lot of mostly helpful feedback. I don't get upset if someone doesn't like my offerings, not at all. But it is nice when the do like them of course.

My children, family and friends around the world are always keen to see what I have been up to each day, and there are many others that maybe thinking of doing something similar who also take an interest. It keeps me company on my travels too. I could easily get away with not posting if my trip was just a few weeks or so, but being away for months solo, well it feels like I have company. I look forward to ending the day with a post on what I have been up to.

hoopdriver

Guru
Books are tough - a lot of work. I have done a few. Indeed I am working on be now. If you write for yourself, and write to your friends and family, that will be a good start. You will develop your voice and by directing your writing to someone, rather than the world at large, you will find yourself communicating your story - which is what you want to do - and not climbing into the pulpit and becoming “the writer” which is the mistake a lot of amateurs make.

Write your blog posts, tell your story, clearly and the way you want to tell it. If a book is the result, great. But don’t shape your adventure to fit a narrative. Make it the other way around.

Alan O

Über Member
Thanks. As I am not a writer, but I do appreciate constructive critique, as when/if I complete this mammoth adventure I would consider writing a book. I'm training for that day :smile:. I post, and receive a lot of mostly helpful feedback. I don't get upset if someone doesn't like my offerings, not at all. But it is nice when the do like them of course.
Your photography is excellent, and easily up to book-publishing standards.

And as it happens, I'm a writer and I've done a fair bit of copy editing too. An awful lot of writers are subject experts first rather than writers first, and what we see published only comes after a lot of copy editing has been done. After some of the stuff I've seen submitted to copy editors in my time, I expect they'd be more than happy to receive your writing.

Top Bottom