Cycling Around the World, Sadly had to return for major repairs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

Good luck sir, you are doing great despite the challenges.

Thanks. Yes the challenges. I've certainly had my fair share, and I don't for one minute think I'm done with them yet :smile: But you know, I keep getting up and going at things again and again, giving it my best shot every single time. This is what I try to teach my daughters, but what I think they see is me beating my head against a wall :smile: You know, without thinking the way I do, I would never have lived such an amazing life.

videoman

Guru
Good luck on your further adventures as I have been following you since you first started, new website and blog booked marked all ready and looking forward to your travels.

Cheers Alan

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

Good luck on your further adventures as I have been following you since you first started, new website and blog booked marked all ready and looking forward to your travels.

Cheers Alan

Thanks Alan, it seems such a long time ago when I started this crazy adventure.

Leaving my town in August last year, it's certainly been far different than I expected, and so much harder on my butt than I could have imagined. While I've been home sorting crap out, I've been cycling on an old bike to a gym in Widnes and back to Liverpool, and have been trying out a Selle Royal relaxed gel and sprung saddle, and other than it rattles about on the rails, due to crappy mounts on the bike, it feels great.

The brooks b17 has never got any easier, and in fact I think it's worse now. When it gets sweaty or damp, it grabs at clothing, meaning my body moves but my clothes don't so much, causing ungodly sores. This saddle seems much better because it's waterproof so no grabbing when damp, and also sprung, big, and softer. As I am taking back to Vietnam, 2 new Schwalbe Marathon Plus's, I think the springiness on the saddle will help out.

I will see how it goes, because I don't cycle more than 20 miles in a day to the gym and back, and have no idea how it will be on 40 or 50 miles a day. I have also tried no padding in my cycle shorts.

I read an article about a guy in Malaysia who suffered really bad sores until he dumped his padded shorts. I cut out the padding from a pair, so that I still have the shorts that won't run up my crotch like underpants would, and this too has felt great on my butt. Here's hoping.

I think I'll add this to my blog.

Steve

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

Like the new blog. Your bike looks class. I particularly like the 'belt not chain ' guard ^_^

Good luck with the next stage in your journey and may the "wind always be at your back"

Thanks, that Chainglider is a pretty impressive yet simple bit of kit. When Rohloff's management told me they were going to convert the bike to run a chain instead of belt, I asked them how I was going to keep the oil from getting on my clothing, and they said they will also provide the glider, as well as pile of spare everything.

I couldn't get how it worked without being attached to the frame or anything else, and was so surprised to find that it just hovers on the vibrations of the chain. I does the job too. No oil on my clothes or leg, and little crap build up on the chain, and also it the chain doesn't need oiling very often.

Steve

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Thanks, that Chainglider is a pretty impressive yet simple bit of kit. When Rohloff's management told me they were going to convert the bike to run a chain instead of belt, I asked them how I was going to keep the oil from getting on my clothing, and they said they will also provide the glider, as well as pile of spare everything.

I couldn't get how it worked without being attached to the frame or anything else, and was so surprised to find that it just hovers on the vibrations of the chain. I does the job too. No oil on my clothes or leg, and little crap build up on the chain, and also it the chain doesn't need oiling very often.

Steve

There's a Chainglider on my Riese and Muller/Rohloff ebike.

About 3,500 miles and I've oiled the chain once or twice, not that it needed it.

Very little chain elongation, I've not not had to alter the tension yet.

Replacing chains every five minutes is a modern idea.

A chain in a fully enclosed chaincase will literally never wear out in a bicycle application.

Not so good if you want light weight and derailers, and a full metal chaincase does look a bit naff.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Chaingliders are good but the fitting is a bit hit and miss. I had one on my thorn raven tour and it worked quite well with the chain running fairly freely. I couldn’t get it to fit on a thorn raven sport tour bike which has narrower clearances. You need a relatively thin chain ring, a surly stainless steel worked, the thorn aluminium one didn’t. You also have to have the right size from the chain ring and sprocket combo. Finally, the new splined socket can also foul the rohloff specific glider. I think Thorns disclaimer is that if the fit is not unite right it can score the hub shell.

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

There's a Chainglider on my Riese and Muller/Rohloff ebike.

About 3,500 miles and I've oiled the chain once or twice, not that it needed it.

Very little chain elongation, I've not not had to alter the tension yet.

Replacing chains every five minutes is a modern idea.

A chain in a fully enclosed chaincase will literally never wear out in a bicycle application.

Not so good if you want light weight and derailers, and a full metal chaincase does look a bit naff.

I had a new chain fitted in Genoa Italy, but haven't given it a good looking at since then, other than I think dropping 2 lots of dry oil onto the chain through the little oil hole on the top of the glider while turning the pedals. I'm guessing I might need to have it all serviced up soon. I do keep a spare chain and quick links though just in case. Regarding tension, the bike shop in Genoa insisted I keep the chain fairly slack, but it does rattle a little more inside the glider as a result, but nothing that noticeable.

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

Chaingliders are good but the fitting is a bit hit and miss. I had one on my thorn raven tour and it worked quite well with the chain running fairly freely. I couldn’t get it to fit on a thorn raven sport tour bike which has narrower clearances. You need a relatively thin chain ring, a surly stainless steel worked, the thorn aluminium one didn’t. You also have to have the right size from the chain ring and sprocket combo. Finally, the new splined socket can also foul the rohloff specific glider. I think Thorns disclaimer is that if the fit is not unite right it can score the hub shell.

Good points, and I can see how clearance would be a problem in some cases. The only issue I find is getting off and on again, it's pretty messy, but nowhere near as messy as a bare chain I'm sure.

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

Talk of chaingliders prompted me to have a look. SJS stocks, but I'm intrigued at the ferocity of their disclaimer (at bottom). What's that all about?

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/chainsets/hebie-chainglider-for-rohloff-1517t-for-38t-black/

I set out after conversion to chain with the Glider and Splined Carrier, the one that allows for the carrier to be unclipped instead of unscrewed, but when I arrived in Genoa I had the mechanic who Rohloff arranged for me, to change the Splined Carrier to the threaded carrier in my kit that Rohloff gave me in case I ever wanted to go to the threaded. I felt a little rattling again in the splined carrier and didn't like it, so had it changed. The Glider worked the same on both, and it was Rohloff that provided the Glider for me for free when running the splined carrier, so I don't think you'll have any problems based on that.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I had a new chain fitted in Genoa Italy, but haven't given it a good looking at since then, other than I think dropping 2 lots of dry oil onto the chain through the little oil hole on the top of the glider while turning the pedals. I'm guessing I might need to have it all serviced up soon. I do keep a spare chain and quick links though just in case. Regarding tension, the bike shop in Genoa insisted I keep the chain fairly slack, but it does rattle a little more inside the glider as a result, but nothing that noticeable.

I'm not sure how many miles since a chain was fitted in Genoa equates to in your globetrotting world, but you should be giving the Chainglider a good test.

A Rohloff dealer in the Lake District told me many owners have the quick release skewer for the hub too tight - the skewers are prone to 'stretch', I was told.

On t'other hand, the wheel needs to be firmly located on a disc braked bike to enable reliable setting up of the brakes.

I rarely remove my rear wheel, but if I do the disc brake caliper sometimes needs centring again to be spot on.

Rohloff is one of the few hubs on which you can have a quick release axle.

I suspect if the axle was nutted it would just be a simple matter of nipping the nuts up tight, but you would always have to carry an axle spanner for puncture repairs.

Thanks Alan, it seems such a long time ago when I started this crazy adventure.

Leaving my town in August last year, it's certainly been far different than I expected, and so much harder on my butt than I could have imagined. While I've been home sorting crap out, I've been cycling on an old bike to a gym in Widnes and back to Liverpool, and have been trying out a Selle Royal relaxed gel and sprung saddle, and other than it rattles about on the rails, due to crappy mounts on the bike, it feels great.

The brooks b17 has never got any easier, and in fact I think it's worse now. When it gets sweaty or damp, it grabs at clothing, meaning my body moves but my clothes don't so much, causing ungodly sores. This saddle seems much better because it's waterproof so no grabbing when damp, and also sprung, big, and softer. As I am taking back to Vietnam, 2 new Schwalbe Marathon Plus's, I think the springiness on the saddle will help out.

I will see how it goes, because I don't cycle more than 20 miles in a day to the gym and back, and have no idea how it will be on 40 or 50 miles a day. I have also tried no padding in my cycle shorts.

I read an article about a guy in Malaysia who suffered really bad sores until he dumped his padded shorts. I cut out the padding from a pair, so that I still have the shorts that won't run up my crotch like underpants would, and this too has felt great on my butt. Here's hoping.

I think I'll add this to my blog.

Steve
Aldi used to do synthetic underpants that I find handy - no padding - easy to wash and dry. I have a large supply - similar things doubtless available from elsewhere. Seems I may have made the right decision to sell on my Brooks unused - actually made a profit on it as prices had rocketed due to hipster adoption. Plastic saddles for me from here on.

My favourite saddle is a Selle Royal gel - cost me £15 - bought supplies - miffed to bust a brand new one by some stupid bike lifting. Now discontinued of course. Where did you get yours? Halfords do some of the range these days.

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

Aldi used to do synthetic underpants that I find handy - no padding - easy to wash and dry. I have a large supply - similar things doubtless available from elsewhere. Seems I may have made the right decision to sell on my Brooks unused - actually made a profit on it as prices had rocketed due to hipster adoption. Plastic saddles for me from here on.

My favourite saddle is a Selle Royal gel - cost me £15 - bought supplies - miffed to bust a brand new one by some stupid bike lifting. Now discontinued of course. Where did you get yours? Halfords do some of the range these days.

Yes it was Halfords. I think I paid about £35 for it, but hey. The Brooks looks cool and I did give it 9000 km's almost to work in and get comfortable, but nope, it just got worse.

It started off flat on the top as you know, and is said to shape to your butt over time, bending in like a hammock, my did that on day one :smile: with my arse. But as it shaped lower, I never adjusted to saddle height and I should have done, so I guess it dipped by an inch.

How long do you think I will get out of the Selle? I'm likely not to find many places selling on my tour I guess.

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

I'm not sure how many miles since a chain was fitted in Genoa equates to in your globetrotting world, but you should be giving the Chainglider a good test.

A Rohloff dealer in the Lake District told me many owners have the quick release skewer for the hub too tight - the skewers are prone to 'stretch', I was told.

On t'other hand, the wheel needs to be firmly located on a disc braked bike to enable reliable setting up of the brakes.

I rarely remove my rear wheel, but if I do the disc brake caliper sometimes needs centring again to be spot on.

Rohloff is one of the few hubs on which you can have a quick release axle.

I suspect if the axle was nutted it would just be a simple matter of nipping the nuts up tight, but you would always have to carry an axle spanner for puncture repairs.

Yes, mine is quick release of course, and thank goodness. I will check the skewer to make sure all is well. I hadn't really thought about keeping a spare skewer in my tool kit.

How long do you think I will get out of the Selle? I'm likely not to find many places selling on my tour I guess.
No idea how long - a fair chance it will last the tour I would have thought - my original lasted years. If yours goes, always possible that in your far flung corners you will see it being sold with some other branding - and very cheaply - while the saddle powers that be upsell western folks to ever more crazy uber lightweight designs with slots to drop your nuts through. Mine was a Selle Royal Look-In gel - great system - no slot, just a bit in the middle that is softer with no sharp edge/transition. Like many things in cycling the marketeers are intent on overcomplicating things.

Top Bottom