Cycling Around the World, Sadly had to return for major repairs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan O

Über Member
I did originally look at Sumatra but because the visas are on 30 days for Indonesia I wanted to make sure I reached Bali with plenty of time to sort out the gear and make arrangements for flying to Australia. It’s a shame so many countries have such short visas.
Be careful of this...

"Proof of onward travel
Immigration officials in Indonesia may ask you for proof of onward travel (eg, a return or onward air ticket). You should make all reservations before leaving for Indonesia. Some airlines have refused to board passengers without evidence of onward travel.
"

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/indonesia/entry-requirements

Actually, that reminds me, I have a feeling the same thing might apply to a 30-day visa-free entry to Thailand too.

Be careful of this...

"Proof of onward travel
Immigration officials in Indonesia may ask you for proof of onward travel (eg, a return or onward air ticket). You should make all reservations before leaving for Indonesia. Some airlines have refused to board passengers without evidence of onward travel.
"

Actually, that reminds me, I have a feeling the same thing might apply to a 30-day visa-free entry to Thailand too.

A couple of years ago i had a visa problem in Indonesia, but the Guy who was dealing with it was so helpfull I gave him a little present and the job was done. In thailand you find that if your visa runs out peeps do a visa run to the nearest Bordor to renew, however to bugger up the system the Thai Imiagration like to rotate which bordor post is renewing visas, one of my friends did a run to the Laos Bordor to renew his visa only to be told on his return back into Thailand "Sorry Mate you need to go to the Embassy in KL to renew" which meant a flying to KL to renew the visa then flying back to Bankok. Asian bureaucracy at its best.

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

Be careful of this...

"Proof of onward travel
"

A couple of years ago i had a visa problem in Indonesia, but the Guy who was dealing with it was so helpfull I gave him a little present and the job was done. In thailand you find that if your visa runs out peeps do a visa run to the nearest Bordor to renew, however to bugger up the system the Thai Imiagration like to rotate which bordor post is renewing visas, one of my friends did a run to the Laos Bordor to renew his visa only to be told on his return back into Thailand "Sorry Mate you need to go to the Embassy in KL to renew" which meant a flying to KL to renew the visa then flying back to Bankok. Asian bureaucracy at its best.

Visas are a real pain. India is a tough one, and majority of countries I want to travel through require onward proof, and some want references of people and places I’m staying, insurance, proof of virus injections, and even the actual passport to be sent off. Add to that being a solo traveler and not being able to leave my bike out of siight, visiting consulates and waiting for visas means booking into hotels to stash my gear. Visas are no doubt going to be the toughest part, entering and departure of countries is my biggest concern.

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

I’m on the middle of pre arranging a 12 month open visa to India so that I haven’t the hassle of doing it on the move, but already I’m having problems because I was in India around 12 years ago and can’t remember the exact date, which they require in order to grant my visa, as well as my providing a reference there and onward travel proof.

Alan O

Über Member
I’m on the middle of pre arranging a 12 month open visa to India so that I haven’t the hassle of doing it on the move, but already I’m having problems because I was in India around 12 years ago and can’t remember the exact date, which they require in order to grant my visa, as well as my providing a reference there and onward travel proof.
Oh, they love their bureaucratic record-keeping in India! (I've always kept all my old passports, so I can always check things like that when necessary.)

jay clock

Massive member
On the subject of RTW cycling I met Will Bennett of Round the World Attempt fame as he is in Winchester this week. A lovely guy, and has done an amazing job including falling in love on the way round. https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1p6&doc_id=15431&v=R9 - blog out of date but his FB page is more timely. He leaves Winchester on Monday (I plan to cycle 20k with him) and will be back in Limerick in 6 days

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

On the subject of RTW cycling I met Will Bennett of Round the World Attempt fame as he is in Winchester this week. A lovely guy, and has done an amazing job including falling in love on the way round. https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1p6&doc_id=15431&v=R9 - blog out of date but his FB page is more timely. He leaves Winchester on Monday (I plan to cycle 20k with him) and will be back in Limerick in 6 days

I’ve just been looking at his page. Those were the days hey, young, living at home and not a care in the world. I remember when I was 21 living in a rented flat, good job, girlfriend of 4 years, and a cat. I sat there wondering if there was more to life. 2 weeks later I sold everything.

So little did I have that I managed a plane ticket to Singapore and had £300 in pocket. No flat, job, girlfriend, or cat.

Still, I travelled and found labourers work and fell in Love in Australia. I didn’t return to the UK for 2 years. The best 2 years of my life. Not a care in the world.

7 years cycling from what I can make out from his blog, is a very long time. Well done. I will read some more.

Last edited:

franniepan

This is true, it is more a personal thing than something for sharing, but I'm loving the sharing. People I have met on my cycle thus far are loving being kept up to speed on my journey too. I've met dozens of amazing people.
Yes, I'm with you on that John, I recently did a 3-4 week tour in the UK and I really enjoyed updating my tour tracking app at the end of each day, using it as a diary to keep a personal record but also happy to share with anyone interested back home. Then every so often I would check for responses but really its the writing (well typing) that I enjoy.

minininjarob

Sorry I haven’t read the whole thread but glad to hear your bike is sorted and you’ll be off again soon.

I’ve always had an interest in the Gates belt drive and it seems it’s ok round town for commuting and such but all the people who have used them in more demanding situations have had problems and ended up going back to chains. There’s a guy on STW who tried using one for years for endurance riding and after spending a lot of money and time trying to make it reliable long term he ended up going back to chains again - he was riding single speed IIRC.

Good thing about chains is that they are available worldwide, are easy to fix and everyone in even the deepest darkest places in the world recognised them.

Have you got yourself some mechanical know how yet? Surely you picked some up on the way - it really would be essential in my eyes on a long tour.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Dont forget your Malaria pills, cos those mossies will eat you alive if they get a chance, I would try different pills out before you go if I were you because some people react to them, I have bad reactions with mefloquine which gives me the shakes, dizzness and make me feel generally knackered. In Malaysia and Southern Thailand I dont bother with any of them, but in Northern Thailand, Laos and Northern Vietnam I do, I also carry Doxycycline for areas where there is a high leptospirosis problem. Denque Fever can be a problem, it seem to becoming more prevailent in Malaysia at the moment and being a virus there is no treatment, you can only treat the symptoms.
And the States, as well, for dengue.
Here's a good site-
https://www.cdc.gov/

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

Sorry I haven’t read the whole thread but glad to hear your bike is sorted and you’ll be off again soon.

Have you got yourself some mechanical know how yet? Surely you picked some up on the way - it really would be essential in my eyes on a long tour.

Well it's been some time since my last post, and I've covered quite some distance since back then. I made it through crazy wonderful Mumbai and down to Goa, I've gone from Bangkok to Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam, and due to my RTA injuries and other medical reasons, I plonked my bike in storage in Ho Chi Minh City Vietnam and flew back to the UK to sort a load of stuff out. I will be back there in a few weeks once the results of my scan is complete (arthritis in my spine suspected has got worse), then it's down through the Mekong Delta to the sea, back through Cambodia but along the coast, and into Southern Thailand along the coast. From there I will see how much I'm suffering with my injuries. If I feel I've done enough and I will only make myself worse, I will return home from Bangkok, and if I feel I can put up with the pain I will head down into Malaysia and target Singapore. Fingers crossed hey. I'm so looking forward to my return, I really can't wait, I've been bitten by the bicycle touring bug.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Sorry to hear about the arthritis Stephen. Being a nosy sort i was wondering what impact the tour has had on the rest of your physique - you were a big guy when you started out IIRC, as you did a lot of weight training. I guess you are a racing snake now?:laugh:

Go for it John. If you are advised that it's best not to continue by a sympathetic doc, well you've achieved a lot and will have some wonderful memories.

Didn't realise you had youtube vids - will check out later - loved the look of the beginning of the one you just inserted in the thread. Love that mad enthusiastic smile - clearly having a great time despite medical complications and weather.

Top Bottom