Cycling Around the World, Sadly had to return for major repairs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

I guess you are a racing snake now?:laugh:

Your kidding, I guess I am what I am. I started out at 350lb and I'm still 300lb. You see, when it's 100 degrees, humidity off the scale, and a sweaty long knackering day, beer at 3 bottles for a pound is just too hard to pass up :smile: Beer you see is my downfall, but hey, I earned it. Food is another problem. I was looking forward to street foods and eating like the locals do, but bicycle touring spoiled all that because I got to see how it's prepared, stored and kept. I got to see thick layers of flies on foods in the back of buildings and huts.

The conditions most foods were kept in were horrid and put me right off most of it. There were some foods I would eat, like coconuts or fruits that had a husk or skin protection. Otherwise it was any crap I could by from petrol station or shops, like biscuits and crisps. Nope, despite thousand of km's, I'm still one hell of a huge guy, but strong though :smile: I had a load of old women pocking my middle in a village in Thailand, saying "fat, fat, fat" "you fat" :smile: Funny though.

It's too hot to be sat there cooking your own food, you just want to get in your dirt cheap digs and get a cold shower and put the A/C on, and get some beer down your neck.

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

Go for it John. /QUOTE]

Thanks. Yes a few medical issues, but I'm back on the meds I couldn't source in Asia so feeling much better. I've battled a few setbacks since I first set out, but I've managed to overcome them all eventually. I'm looking forward to returning though, can't wait actually. How far I'll get is anyone's guess, but hey.

Being solo fo:smile:r so long takes it toll. The first few months were fine but I'm a year into this and I do miss company. I rode with a guy in Cambodia for half a day and it was so different. Solo is a completely different beast and really tests you.

I rode for weeks without hardly engaging in any conversation at all, and almost drove myself mad'er
Thanks. Yes a few medical issues, but I'm back on the meds I couldn't source in Asia so feeling much better. I've battled a few setbacks since I first set out, but I've managed to overcome them all eventually. I'm looking forward to returning though, can't wait actually. How far I'll get is anyone's guess, but hey.

Being solo for so long takes it toll. The first few months were fine but I'm a year into this and I do miss company. I rode with a guy in Cambodia for half a day and it was so different. Solo is a completely different beast and really tests you.

I rode for weeks without hardly engaging in any conversation at all, and almost drove myself mad'er :smile:

Last edited:

Alan O

Über Member
Well it's been some time since my last post, and I've covered quite some distance since back then. I made it through crazy wonderful Mumbai and down to Goa, I've gone from Bangkok to Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam, and due to my RTA injuries and other medical reasons, I plonked my bike in storage in Ho Chi Minh City Vietnam and flew back to the UK to sort a load of stuff out. I will be back there in a few weeks once the results of my scan is complete (arthritis in my spine suspected has got worse), then it's down through the Mekong Delta to the sea, back through Cambodia but along the coast, and into Southern Thailand along the coast. From there I will see how much I'm suffering with my injuries. If I feel I've done enough and I will only make myself worse, I will return home from Bangkok, and if I feel I can put up with the pain I will head down into Malaysia and target Singapore. Fingers crossed hey. I'm so looking forward to my return, I really can't wait, I've been bitten by the bicycle touring bug.

Sounds great. Shame my own plans didn't work out to put me in Thailand at this time of year - it would have been good to meet up.

Sounds great. Shame my own plans didn't work out to put me in Thailand at this time of year - it would have been good to meet up.

I've enjoyed your blog hugely. I like your style of doing things your own way.

Rest up, listen to the Docs and see what the future holds.

Best of luck!

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

For sure, I would love to be travelling with another tourist for a while, although I'd likely hold them up. I'm not so quick and try to do between 50 and 80 km's a day at most, and I try to get that done before lunch or at least before 2pm. It's just so damned hot and humid out there.

That said, it will hopefully have cooled down a bit and become more dry when I'm back there. All the best. Steve

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

Hi Steve, was very interested to read your story and hoping I'll be able to do the same in 2020...have you restarted your journey yet?

Hi, I love to hear from people liking my story, it keeps me going :smile: I will be back there before the end of next month all being well. My bike bike and gear are still in storage in Ho Chi Minh City waiting patiently for my return.

My plan then is to hit the coast from the Mekong Delta and follow it all the way around through Vietnam and Cambodia and close to Bangkok Thailand. From there, well, we will see how my neck is holding out and if I feel I'm able and wanting to continue on, and if so, I will head farther down the coast of Thailand until I reach Malaysia, where I will head to Singapore and again see how I feel, because after Singapore, it get's really tough.

Cycling across Australia is a mean feat by an athlete, let alone this guy :smile:, then there is lumpy New Zealand followed by San Diego to Miami, another huge task.

Am I up to that, well we will see, but if not, I will return home and go back to work :/ that doesn't sound so great does it :smile: Wishing you all the success with your own adventure Vanessa. Steve

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

Just read the first bit.

Good luck with the business.

Please reccomend your favoured chippie.

Thank you, well my favourite chippy these days is Halewood Fish Bar. The fish is cod and the chips are never dry or shrivelled. The batter isn't that greasy crap either.

I used to love Harry Ramsdens in New Brighton but it went right down the pan and I can see why they are going bust.

Thank you, well my favourite chippy these days is Halewood Fish Bar. The fish is cod and the chips are never dry or shrivelled. The batter isn't that greasy crap either.

I used to love Harry Ramsdens in New Brighton but it went right down the pan and I can see why they are going bust.
Will try to check out your Halewood recommendation., Thanks.

You are truly a man of the world :smile:

avsd

Guru
Like the new blog. Your bike looks class. I particularly like the 'belt not chain ' guard ^_^

Good luck with the next stage in your journey and may the "wind always be at your back"

Top Bottom