Cycling around Windermere

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
I'm heading to Windermere for a long weekend with the family next week and I'm planning some me time on the bike. I'm not sure whether to take the MTB or roady so am hoping some of you guys can share experiences/routes.

There are a few routes on mapmyride I can download but you don't know what to expect as you don't know the rider. I was thinking of trails and getting some nice pics of my trek but there isn't much on Internet about anything other than short family runs.

Anyone cycled up there who can make some recommendations?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The route, provided by @Spinney in this short thread may suit:

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/lake-district-circuit-route-advice.161559/#post-3209965

Alternatively, you can literally cycle around Lake Windermere thanks to a newish stretch of path which runs up the eastern side past Wray Castle, then to Ambleside, and on the road back down to Bowness.

gavgav

Legendary Member
@Rickshaw Phil is your man. I've done a lot of cycling up there with him and would recommend areas around Hawkshead, Coniston, Ambleside, The Langdales and South of Windermere down to Newby Bridge. Phil has a thread which I'm sure he will provide the link to that will help

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
:hello: Did someone call?

Apologies to those whove seen it before but the thread mentioned by @gavgav is here: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/lakes-holiday.137738/ which may give some ideas.

You'd have fun on either of the bikes mentioned but for flexibility I'd suggest going for the mountain bike as you'd have access to lots of trails as well as the lanes and it would be geared low enough that the many hills shouldn't be a problem.

I don't have GPS so can't offer any files to download but would suggest taking OS maps of the area to browse - there's a lot of good riding to be had on the local bridleways and stony/rocky paths are (in my experience) more common than muddy/boggy ones in that area.

Hope that helps for starters.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Take the road bike and from Windermere go up Kirkstone Pass and down the other side, my god it's great fun going down, then come back up and turn right and ride down The Struggle. Brilliant fun.

gavgav

Legendary Member
Grizedale Forest is good for trails. Gravel tracks in the main. There are some hills though, it's difficult to find anywhere without in The Lakes!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I'm heading to Windermere for a long weekend with the family next week and I'm planning some me time on the bike. I'm not sure whether to take the MTB or roady so am hoping some of you guys can share experiences/routes.

There are a few routes on mapmyride I can download but you don't know what to expect as you don't know the rider. I was thinking of trails and getting some nice pics of my trek but there isn't much on Internet about anything other than short family runs.

Anyone cycled up there who can make some recommendations?

Head from Windermere down to Bowness and navigate your way onto the A5074.

Stay on this and you will eventually end up on the flats of the Lyth Valley in the Brigsteer/Levens area. A great whizzy undulating ride all the way to the flats.

If you give it a go you will come in from the right of the image below and on the far side (way below the skyline) of the flats.

You can ride around this area (long intersecting roads criss-cross the area) or head over to Levens and go under the A590 towards Milnethorpe.

When you go under the A590 the road will soon bear sharp right and 400-600m-ish after this bend watch out for a small lane on your right. This is a cycleway (blue sign) that dog-legs on small lanes around Milnethorpe and gets you onto the road out to Arneside. Follow this all the way to the Prom'.

Maybe 30 miles-ish round trip (reverse route back) and it is really easy and great fun.

Lyth Valley.jpg

Globalti

Legendary Member
A nice place to visit that's not too far from Windermere is Cartmel; lovely little village with a priory, a racecourse and loads of pubs and cafes.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I'd second the Lyth Valley. It's a lovely quite place (traffic wise) and to be honest there's not much traffic about if you stay off the A591 and A590.
Also the area around Grizedale isn't as hilly, though which ever way you come you'll probably have to tackle Hawkshead hill, which isn't too bad by lakeland standards, but it is a 'good' climb.
There's so many great rides and not all of them particularly tough especially if you don't mind an 'out and back' route.
You could do a nice ride down the Lyth valley to Grange over Sands, over the hill to Cartmel, back north over the Holker mosses and back through the Grizedale forest back to Windermere. A real taste of the lakes away from the honey pots.
Wherever you go, you'll love it.

Edit, I've lived here for ten years and I have never met any irate motorists

Top Bottom