Cycling at night in the countryside.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
You'd think at 55 I'd have left behind some of the follies of youth - like relentless stubbiness in the face of reality - but it appears not.
After reading some reports from participants who've done The Dunwich Dynamo, it's been on my mind that I'd like to try riding at night in the countryside as a prelude to joining the fun next year. And so, tonight, I went out for a short 10 mile spin.
Let's put aside the fact that I have a slight cataract in my left eye and so any lights tend to flare a little. Let's put aside the fact that my front lights, while sufficiently bright for town use, I discovered are next to useless on dark lanes. Let's also put aside the fact I was near-blinded by every car which approached so that all I could see were two swirling lights in a vortex of black. No, let's concentrate on the fact that I actually quickly realised I was pushing the boundaries of common-sense and yet still carried on, rather than turning back.
Cycling may go some way to extending your life, but it sure doesn't stop you from doing idiotic things. I try not to, but I can still do stupid. :blink:

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Good work on getting out- I absolutely love night riding in the countryside, especially on clear nights.
Sort yourself out some 'see by' lights and you'll soon be racking the miles up. :thumbsup:

Wobbly John

Veteran
I'm almost as old and have been doing late-night rides across the fens for years. I'm also a 6 times Dunwich Dynamo veteran and have done an overnight coast 2 coast (across Norfolk - from Hunst'n to Hemsby)

For lights, I have a couple of 3 Watt cree LED torches running on a hub dymano and now have an ebay, battery 'Chinese magicshine copy' as well when I need a bit more light (see the Cree XML threads on here).

I use the same road regularly - it's straight, flat, in reasonably good repair and has little traffic. It's a boring ride in the day, but at night you can watch the stars/clouds across the moon or try to spot the barn owls that are often on the route.

As well as a rear light, it's a good idea to have pedal reflectors or something on the ankle. It helps give drivers a sense of distance and speed and 'personalises' the red rear light(s)

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I've recently done a bit of night riding around the local lanes. OH had a spare 'see by' light with a helmet mount - I liked that far better than a handlebar mounted one as I could see off to the side, and can point it at drivers' faces if they don't dip their lights (although I think holding a hand up in front of your eyes does a better job of pointing out the error of their ways). And lets me see the computer or check what gear I'm in.

Gear up and have another go! :thumbsup:

MikeW-71

Veteran
I did the same thing last night. I bought a Cateye Nano Shot + and decided to take the long way (15 miles) back from work to test it out. Worked well, enough light to see by even on low power, high power was brilliant.

Loved the ride. It was cold, but quiet, almost no traffic, stars were coming out, and we had a lovely copper coloured moon. I took it a bit slower and found it really rather theraputic :smile:

Davidc

Guru
I like riding in the countryside at night, and I'm 61. Not sure that 55's old enough! Some car headlights, and some bike lights, are dazzling. Most get dipped, but I do have a CYO60 above the fork crown and a Hope V1 on the handlebars which makes it difficult for me to be ignored. If the approaching lights don't dip it has a peculiar effect on the Hope - it moves to point at the offending driver/ rider and turns itself up to full power. That nearly always gets the message across.

Cycling on unlit roads does need good lights, front and back. Once that's sorted, with a dose of reflective bits on spokes and strategic other points then it's great meeting owls and other nocturnal animals, seeing the moonlight across fields and streams, stopping and listening to the night time sounds, and much more besides.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
as above, get yersel the right lighting, assertively communicate with the less considerate drivers and you'll see and hear a whole new side to cycling.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I've recently done a bit of night riding around the local lanes. OH had a spare 'see by' light with a helmet mount - I liked that far better than a handlebar mounted one as I could see off to the side, and can point it at drivers' faces if they don't dip their lights

Oh my! That's not something I'd recommend. I've been dazzled often enough on the bike by helmet lights to know that it's anti-social at best; downright dangerous at worst. "See by" lights are too bright to point straight at someone, unless you really want a ton of metal haring towards you at upwards of 30mph "controlled" by someone who can't see.

If you want a headlight, get a low power one. Keep the high-power lights for the handlebars.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Oh my! That's not something I'd recommend. I've been dazzled often enough on the bike by helmet lights to know that it's anti-social at best; downright dangerous at worst. "See by" lights are too bright to point straight at someone, unless you really want a ton of metal haring towards you at upwards of 30mph "controlled" by someone who can't see.

If you want a headlight, get a low power one. Keep the high-power lights for the handlebars.
When I say pointing at - only for a few seconds until they get the point about dipping lights. Easy enough not to point it at people the rest of the time.

stu9000

Good lights make a massive difference. I actually got given these as part of fund raising for the London Ride 100.
Exposure lights
I'm fairly newish to cycling and might have winced at the price, but they are literally life savers.

I'm also going to buy one of these if my relatives don't get the hint this Xmas.
Fibreflare

I absolutely love getting out at night. It makes me feel like a kid again. I tried to put it in words the other day and came up with the text I'm about to post in another thread. Be safe, but don't talk yourself out of it!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
When I say pointing at - only for a few seconds until they get the point about dipping lights. Easy enough not to point it at people the rest of the time.
My helmet light is a cheap but very effective one from the pound shop :blush:
It can be angled downwards, indeed that how I keep it unless I want to attract the attention of a driver about to come out of a side road.
Combined with my front cateye, also pointed down, plus my dinamo lights, the setup must be effective: a pedestrian mistook me for a motorbike :laugh:
OP enjoy your night rides, with good lights and a bit of route planning night riding is magic.

tyred

Legendary Member
German regulation standard dynamo lights are your friend. They put the light on the road with a proper shaped beam.

And despite what people claim, a properly set up bottle dynamo of reasonable quality will work perfectly well if you don't want or can't afford a hub dynamo.

Buy this sort of stuff from Germany as it's way cheaper.

Top Bottom