Cycling at night in the countryside.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattobrien

Guru
Well done @Jon George nothing like a bit of night riding, although to be fair, i try to aim for the warmer part of the day this time or year.

A week or so back a friend and I went around Alton Water on our MTB's at night which was quite good fun, mixes things up a little. As has been said a good light is important. Not necessarily expensive, but good.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Off road riding at night is brilliant fun. I used to do it every Wednesday night during the winter. We disturbed a burglary once.

tuffty

For some reason whenever I'm out riding at night in the Fens, miles from anywhere with nobody to be seen, the film American Werewolf in London springs into my head. It does wonders for your average speed :-)

Justiffa

If it wasn't for safety issues (greater risk here for women out riding alone), I would ride at nite as often as I can. theres just something very appealing about the peace, the quietness, the breeze & the moonlight. :smile:

U

User482

When I say pointing at - only for a few seconds until they get the point about dipping lights. Easy enough not to point it at people the rest of the time.

Cyclists coming the other way on a path I commute on dazzle me with overly-bright helmet lights, and I simply cannot see. I've come very close to hitting a pedestrian on a couple of occasions now.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Cyclists coming the other way on a path I commute on dazzle me with overly-bright helmet lights, and I simply cannot see. I've come very close to hitting a pedestrian on a couple of occasions now.
They can be adjusted to light the ground in front of you with your head in normal riding position - it's not the fault of having a helmet mount, as such, but the way the users choose to use them.

U

User482

They can be adjusted to light the ground in front of you with your head in normal riding position - it's not the fault of having a helmet mount, as such, but the way the users choose to use them.

Having the light so high up means that the light will shine in the eyes of people coming the opposite way, unless it's angled so far down as to be of no use.

I use a powerful helmet light on a regular basis, for off-roading, but I turn the power right down if I'm using it on the road, and for longer road rides, I move it onto the bars.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's better on the bars anyway because it casts shadows and gives you a better picture of the surface ahead. On the helmet it's so close to your eyes that you get no shadows and less ability to judge distances and proportions.

oldstrath

Über Member
Must be lucky - I never have a problem with cars failing to dip their lights - I have a Lezyne MacroDrive, which is plenty adequate for the dark roads round here for a 15 mile commute. Occasionally end up using a Lumicycle LED on the road after playing offroad, and can't honestly say I notice any great advantage from the extra light output. I tend to obsess more about rear lights anyway (Dinotte and a couple of blinky things).

Night riding is magical. Get out and ride!
Amazed nobody has mentioned FNRttC yet. Look this little lot up under the Cycle Chat and Informal Rides forum. They are brilliant and gives you a great idea of what the DD is likely to be like.
(Not done DD but have been on FNRttC rides).

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I love riding at night but although riding with others can be fun whatever the time, there's something magical about being out on your own, especially on a crisp and cold winter's night when the stars hang like diamonds from the clear sky above. Find a quiet road and then enjoy the sights and sounds of the natural world as very few will ever experience. Listen for the cry of a vixen, the rustle of a small animal in the undergrowth, the wingbeats of an owl swooping down on its prey.

Dave the Smeghead

Über Member
Did a night ride about 2 weeks and got startled by a bloke running dressed all in black (or very dark colours anyway) and then I startled an owl which was sitting on a branch at the side of the road that it flew away quickly, in turn startling me by the noise and the sudden movement. I was almost a total nervous wreck by the time I got home.
I really must get some better lights sorted out!

Top Bottom