Cycling B&B in the foothills of the Pyrenees

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Sorry for raising a potentially stressful subject, but after all the work that you have been putting in, doesn't the uncertainty of Brexit scare you? My nephew is going out to the Benidorm area to do labouring work on some properties in that area. The owner bought them AFTER the 'leave' vote was delivered, which struck me as a risky thing to do.

OP
OP
Bonus

Bonus

Veteran
Sorry for raising a potentially stressful subject, but after all the work that you have been putting in, doesn't the uncertainty of Brexit scare you? My nephew is going out to the Benidorm area to do labouring work on some properties in that area. The owner bought them AFTER the 'leave' vote was delivered, which struck me as a risky thing to do.

Hi Colin - it's a valid point.

To be honest I have so little idea of how Brexit is actually going to pan out and what the consequences globally might be, that it doesn't even register on the "worry-radar" just yet.

I suspect that Spain will continue to be a place that Brits like to come to on holiday and I don't imagine the Brits living here being "asked to leave" in a hurry.

There might be tax implications specific to "foreigners" but to be honest, whatever comes our way - we'll deal with. Don't forget, we came here from South Africa, not from the UK. I'd been in SA for the last eight years (and had another ten there when I was a child) and Mrs Bonus had been there since she was three years old. If you can deal with the problems that South African officialdom throws your way (and I won't go into that on here) and survive then I'm sure we can "make a plan" here too.

We have Spanish residence, which we got before the vote. We also bought our property before the vote. Maybe that will make a difference.

Also we are going to be living in a small village among the locals and running a business that pays into the tax system. That might be an advantage over being, say, a retired Brit over here who lives in a community full of other Brits and keeps his money to himself. (so to speak)

We will watch with quiet interest for now but, along with the Global war on terror, the various wars in the middle east, what's going on in US politics and the various European Parliamentary crisis' . . . well pass the biscuits and let's have a cup of tea.

:-)

The_Weekend_Report_Guy

Pablo's Cycling Tours
Hi Colin - it's a valid point.

To be honest I have so little idea of how Brexit is actually going to pan out and what the consequences globally might be, that it doesn't even register on the "worry-radar" just yet.

I suspect that Spain will continue to be a place that Brits like to come to on holiday and I don't imagine the Brits living here being "asked to leave" in a hurry.

There might be tax implications specific to "foreigners" but to be honest, whatever comes our way - we'll deal with. Don't forget, we came here from South Africa, not from the UK. I'd been in SA for the last eight years (and had another ten there when I was a child) and Mrs Bonus had been there since she was three years old. If you can deal with the problems that South African officialdom throws your way (and I won't go into that on here) and survive then I'm sure we can "make a plan" here too.

We have Spanish residence, which we got before the vote. We also bought our property before the vote. Maybe that will make a difference.

Also we are going to be living in a small village among the locals and running a business that pays into the tax system. That might be an advantage over being, say, a retired Brit over here who lives in a community full of other Brits and keeps his money to himself. (so to speak)

We will watch with quiet interest for now but, along with the Global war on terror, the various wars in the middle east, what's going on in US politics and the various European Parliamentary crisis' . . . well pass the biscuits and let's have a cup of tea.

:-)

Key part you have a residency.. the rest goes on the plus side.

Well done in getting that done right away..

ColinJ

Don't forget, we came here from South Africa, not from the UK. I'd been in SA for the last eight years (and had another ten there when I was a child) and Mrs Bonus had been there since she was three years old. If you can deal with the problems that South African officialdom throws your way (and I won't go into that on here) and survive then I'm sure we can "make a plan" here too.

Oh yes, I HAD forgotten that you came from South Africa. Sounds like you should be ok.

As a Brit, If I had money to spend on property in an EU country, I wouldn't fancy doing it right now.

OP
OP
Bonus

Bonus

Veteran
Our snow only lasted a day or two on the ground down here in town, although I can see that there is still plenty up on the slopes of the mountains.

This guy is hanging around "just in case" I guess.

20170328_195526.jpg

OP
OP
Bonus

Bonus

Veteran
This clip of Peter Sagan riding the Stage 7 Time Trial at Tirreno-Adriatico (2017) reminded me of something we noticed when we got to Spain.

In the UK if you want to cross the road on a Zebra Crossing you walk up to the edge of the pavement, look both ways and very quickly cars will stop for you and you can cross safely.

In South Africa if you want to cross the road on a Zebra Crossing you walk up to the edge of the pavement, look both ways . . . wait for a gap in the traffic and run like hell. Safety is for sissies.

In Spain if you want to cross the road on a Zebra Crossing you walk up to the edge of the pavement whilst concentrating intently on your phone. Without looking either way you may walk straight out onto the crossing. It is the total responsibility of the vehicle driver to see you and to stop. There is no such things as "I couldn't stop in time". You must stop in time, end-of :-)

On the plus side - when you are the pedestrian the same rules apply :-)

OP
OP
Bonus

Bonus

Veteran
This morning we met with the bank manager, who helped us prepare our responce to some enquiries from the banks head office "Risk Dept". Then later we spoke on the phone with the nice lady at the risk office answering what are hopefully their last few questions. Tomorrow I have to check a couple of things with the builder and get the answers back to the risk dept.

Edit: I might actually phone the lady at the risk dept. from the builders house while I'm there and let them speak to each other!

#finalfewhurdles

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
In the UK if you want to cross the road on a Zebra Crossing you walk up to the edge of the pavement, look both ways and very quickly cars will stop for you and you can cross safely.
I think your memory of the UK is somewhat idealised. Many motorists here don't stop for yellow/red lights any more, let alone any zebra crossing that someone's not already on.

OP
OP
Bonus

Bonus

Veteran
I think your memory of the UK is somewhat idealised. Many motorists here don't stop for yellow/red lights any more, let alone any zebra crossing that someone's not already on.

For the last ten years or so, whilst in South Africa, I've only visited the UK on hols - so you are probably right. Rose tinted glasses and all that.

I did notice, reading about crime online and how hard it is to even get the police to come out sometimes that all is not well :-(

OP
OP
Bonus

Bonus

Veteran
Zona Zero Route 5. Towards the end there’s some nice single-track and then a bit of a drop …

Being an XC rider, I haven’t ridden the drop yet but the single track was cool. One day I’ll ride the whole lot I’m sure :-)

OP
OP
Bonus

Bonus

Veteran
Worked with Ramon the friendly farmer on the farm this morning for a while and then did some trail-clearing on the "variation" part of Route 3 Light / Route 9 which goes past our front door.

20170508_134014.jpg
I do love my "office"

ColinJ

There is something about that 'office' that I like, but I can't quite put my finger on it ... :whistle:

I've forgotten whether you have mentioned road riding in the area? I do a lot more riding on the road these days than on my mountain bike. What are the local roads like?

I also can't remember if the subject of bike hire ever came up earlier in the thread? Do you plan to offer it, or is there a decent bike hire company in the area?

OP
OP
Bonus

Bonus

Veteran
There is something about that 'office' that I like, but I can't quite put my finger on it ... :whistle:

I've forgotten whether you have mentioned road riding in the area? I do a lot more riding on the road these days than on my mountain bike. What are the local roads like?

I also can't remember if the subject of bike hire ever came up earlier in the thread? Do you plan to offer it, or is there a decent bike hire company in the area?

Road riding around here is excellent Colin. There are good condition roads with little traffic heading N, E, Sx2 & W.
You can certainly hire MTB's locally - I will check if you can hire road bikes.

Top Bottom