Cycling B&B in the foothills of the Pyrenees

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by Bonus, 5 Oct 2015.

1. Bonus

Bonus Über Member

My "Where We Ride in South Africa" picture threads will soon be replaced by some "Where We Ride in the Pyrenees" threads :-)

We've just returned to South Africa from Spain, our second trip this year, where we completed the purchase of a property that we intend to renovate and run as a B&B.

There is a lot of work to do. I'll post some pics of the property later. Maybe by next summer we'll be in business!

We will cater for anyone of course, but the focus will be on us being a good place for MTB and Road cyclists to visit and use as a base.

:-)

Bonus.

Big foot, Montydog and Arjimlad like this.
  2. OP
    OP
    Bonus

Bonus Über Member

Our property in Spain . . . . it needs a little bit of work. 001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg 005.jpg 016 (576x1024).jpg IMG_1170 (1024x765).jpg

Arjimlad likes this.
  3. Dave 123

Dave 123 Guru

Mates rates for CC'ers?

BrumJim and Bonus like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Bonus

Bonus Über Member

I'm happy to say that we have now received an email from our Spanish architect with plans for our house renovation attached.

They look very good and we're happy. We've had a few copies printed out on A3 and A2 sizes so that we can mark them up / scribble on them. Now we can start measuring the new rooms and working out what furniture to take with us and where it will fit in. We still won't take everything, but it looks like we will take what we can - since we have a 6m container to fill anyway and our stuff has no great resale value here...

By extending the walls of the tower up by a meter or so, we are now able to have 2 double rooms en suite on both the middle and the top floors.

Previously we were looking at 2 doubles en suite on the middle floor but only two singles sharing a bathroom on the top floor.

Can't wait to get back over there in January to make a start :-)

Lpoolck and Montydog like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Bonus

Bonus Über Member

We have booked our shipping company.

They arrive at our house in South Africa on 25th January to start packing and wrapping our things. Should take them two days and then on the third day a container will arrive at the gate for them to fill, which should take them 2 hours.

4 to 6 weeks later our container will be delivered to our storage unit in Spain . . . .

6. OP
    OP
    Bonus

Bonus Über Member

Ok so the shipping company took four days not two days to pack up the house! Staff shortages were the problem.

Instead of bringing the container to the house to pack it, they took our stuff away (getting dark by the time they finished) in a removals van to their wharehouse where I guess they will either keep it safe until they pack the container tomorrow or will auction it off between themselves and we'll never see it again :-)

Today we will drive through to see my dad for the weekend and say goodbye.

Next Saturday I fly to the UK and then a week or so later I will drive down to Spain. Mrs Bonus will follow me a month or so later.

As soon as my bikes arrive I can start riding the trails of Zona Zero and the roads of the Pyrenees :-)

Exciting time ahead!

Montydog likes this.
  7. A big job Bonus, but like you say, very exciting.

I dont know if this helps but Jannie and are are on a site called Helpx. I dont know if it may be a site you could use.

How did you come upon the house you finally bought?

Bonus likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Bonus

Bonus Über Member

hi Steve - yes, some work to do but it's going to be great fun doing it and brilliant when it's finished! (He says optimistically)

We took a couple of recon trips to Spain and had a good look around. There's no quick way to do it - even with the help of the Internet. And of course on a 10 day trip to Spain from South Africa we found what we wanted on day 9!

steveindenmark likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Bonus

Bonus Über Member

I've now left South Africa and I'm currently in the UK trying to get used to the February weather! - I've been out of the UK for about 8 years and it's easy to forget what winter feels like ;-)

Next week I'll be driving down to Spain to get started on our project. We'll be staying in a local apartment for now, until our place is at least ready to be part-habitated. Mrs Bonus will join me in Spain in a fortnight or so.

I'll post some pics on here as we go . . . .

:-)

Montydog likes this.
  10. The_Weekend_Report_Guy

The_Weekend_Report_Guy Über Member

Bonus likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    Bonus

Bonus Über Member

Good luck to you too!

Montydog likes this.
  12. Montydog

Montydog Active Member

:hello::bravo:@Bonus .....good on you fella....look forward to the pics and hopefully get over to stay and :bicycle:.....lots of hard work for you but worth it in the end:cheers:

The_Weekend_Report_Guy and Bonus like this.
  13. rugby bloke

rugby bloke Über Member

Sounds like a fantastic adventure, best of luck with it all. Half thinking about a cycling trip to somewhere warm this summer, keep us posted of your progress.

Bonus likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    Bonus

Bonus Über Member

Eurotunnel is booked for first thing Tuesday morning next week.

Then it's a 12 hour drive through France and into northern Spain - I'm hoping for a clear run through the Pyrenees - haven't driven in snow for a few years and not keen to start now!

15. rugby bloke

rugby bloke Über Member

With regard to the snow - get a set a snow socks for your car. They are considerably easier to fit then chains - a couple of minutes a wheel once you have got the hang of them. I use them when I go to the Alps in winter and they have not let me down yet.

Bonus likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice