Cycling B&B in the foothills of the Pyrenees

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonus

Veteran
My "Where We Ride in South Africa" picture threads will soon be replaced by some "Where We Ride in the Pyrenees" threads :-)

We've just returned to South Africa from Spain, our second trip this year, where we completed the purchase of a property that we intend to renovate and run as a B&B.

There is a lot of work to do. I'll post some pics of the property later. Maybe by next summer we'll be in business!

We will cater for anyone of course, but the focus will be on us being a good place for MTB and Road cyclists to visit and use as a base.

:-)

Bonus.

OP
OP
Bonus

Bonus

Veteran
Our property in Spain . . . . it needs a little bit of work.
001.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg
005.jpg
016 (576x1024).jpg
IMG_1170 (1024x765).jpg

OP
OP
Bonus

Bonus

Veteran
I'm happy to say that we have now received an email from our Spanish architect with plans for our house renovation attached.

They look very good and we're happy. We've had a few copies printed out on A3 and A2 sizes so that we can mark them up / scribble on them. Now we can start measuring the new rooms and working out what furniture to take with us and where it will fit in. We still won't take everything, but it looks like we will take what we can - since we have a 6m container to fill anyway and our stuff has no great resale value here...

By extending the walls of the tower up by a meter or so, we are now able to have 2 double rooms en suite on both the middle and the top floors.

Previously we were looking at 2 doubles en suite on the middle floor but only two singles sharing a bathroom on the top floor.

Can't wait to get back over there in January to make a start :-)

OP
OP
Bonus

Bonus

Veteran
We have booked our shipping company.

They arrive at our house in South Africa on 25th January to start packing and wrapping our things. Should take them two days and then on the third day a container will arrive at the gate for them to fill, which should take them 2 hours.

4 to 6 weeks later our container will be delivered to our storage unit in Spain . . . .

OP
OP
Bonus

Bonus

Veteran
Ok so the shipping company took four days not two days to pack up the house! Staff shortages were the problem.

Instead of bringing the container to the house to pack it, they took our stuff away (getting dark by the time they finished) in a removals van to their wharehouse where I guess they will either keep it safe until they pack the container tomorrow or will auction it off between themselves and we'll never see it again :-)

Today we will drive through to see my dad for the weekend and say goodbye.

Next Saturday I fly to the UK and then a week or so later I will drive down to Spain. Mrs Bonus will follow me a month or so later.

As soon as my bikes arrive I can start riding the trails of Zona Zero and the roads of the Pyrenees :-)

Exciting time ahead!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
A big job Bonus, but like you say, very exciting.

I dont know if this helps but Jannie and are are on a site called Helpx. I dont know if it may be a site you could use.

How did you come upon the house you finally bought?

OP
OP
Bonus

Bonus

Veteran
hi Steve - yes, some work to do but it's going to be great fun doing it and brilliant when it's finished! (He says optimistically)

We took a couple of recon trips to Spain and had a good look around. There's no quick way to do it - even with the help of the Internet. And of course on a 10 day trip to Spain from South Africa we found what we wanted on day 9!

OP
OP
Bonus

Bonus

Veteran
I've now left South Africa and I'm currently in the UK trying to get used to the February weather! - I've been out of the UK for about 8 years and it's easy to forget what winter feels like ;-)

Next week I'll be driving down to Spain to get started on our project. We'll be staying in a local apartment for now, until our place is at least ready to be part-habitated. Mrs Bonus will join me in Spain in a fortnight or so.

I'll post some pics on here as we go . . . .

:-)

OP
OP
Bonus

Bonus

Veteran
Eurotunnel is booked for first thing Tuesday morning next week.

Then it's a 12 hour drive through France and into northern Spain - I'm hoping for a clear run through the Pyrenees - haven't driven in snow for a few years and not keen to start now!

rugby bloke

Veteran
With regard to the snow - get a set a snow socks for your car. They are considerably easier to fit then chains - a couple of minutes a wheel once you have got the hang of them. I use them when I go to the Alps in winter and they have not let me down yet.

Top Bottom