Cycling banter with my dad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi.
My dad is getting on a bit now but still enjoys his cycling on his Ebike.
His mate who,s younger than him (60), has been telling he can get up to flighty 35mph on his bog standard MTB along the flat in a sprint. The guy in question is not a regular cyclist and my dad is obviously quite impressed by his superpowers.
Today my bemused and impressed dad told me this over the phone and asked what i could achieve in flat surface sprint on my road bike.
Hmmmm i certainly didn't think i could achieve that i said. 27 max would be more likely before the cadence got beyond me and that would be in a good day.
Last year i rode soon epic decents down Llangynog and the Horseshoe Pass. Also Bala to Corwen is a great decent when the winds blowing from the west. The fastest decent i did was the Horseshoe pass where i reached 45 mph before bottling out with fear. Any faster and your on a death wish with the cattle grid.
I think my dads mate is telling him porkies lol😁

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I think my dads mate is telling him porkies lol😁
Or his speedometer hasn't been set up for the right wheel size..... or it's been set to kilometres instead of miles. (the latter would be more like 21 mph).:laugh:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Or his speedometer hasn't been set up for the right wheel size..... or it's been set to kilometres instead of miles. (the latter would be more like 21 mph).:laugh:
Tbh 21mph on a low-geared MTB with knobblies piloted by a "casual" cyclist would still be a result!

Numbers that stick in my head from when I got my first road bike many moons ago was just touching 30mph on the flat and 42mph down a local hill; the limiting issue on the latter being cadence..

Globalti

Legendary Member
I once did 50 mph on my mountain bike down a reservoir access road, which was just an extremely steep tarmac ramp about half a mile long. Only problem was that it had a gate at the bottom so it was an act of faith in my Hope brakes. Good name for a brake, now I think about it.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
A mate of mine Strava'd 80mph on his full susser..
Sadly, it was on the roof rack on the car as he'd forgotten to switch his Garmin off as we drove home down the M6.

Top Bottom