Cycling / Camping advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Ootini

Ootini

I'm thinking of switching the packing a little.
I'm thinking the sleeping bag in it's stuff sack in one of the rear panniers. The tent then separated in to small dry bags to keep the inner from the fly, but both stuffed in a bigger dry bag on the top of the rack.
Does that make more sense? The sleeping bag does fit in the rear pannier with the mat, but only just.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Would not bother with the Kettle, for flexibility take a small aluminium(light) pan with lid , on the off chance you do want to heat up a tin of beans as well as boil water, easy to pack stuff in the empty pan with big elastic band to keep lid on.
A few medium freezer bags are good to keep feet/hands warm and keep odd and sods dry if it rains a lot.
I use a dual sun/insect repellent cream saves a tiny bit of space/clutter.
Kelly Kettle: carry it on the rack, between the panniers, with your tent
http://www.kellykettle.com/

HOU5EY

Very interesting post, getting me in the mood for summer ☺I've also been looking for a set of panniers recently mainly for lugging all our family's kit down the beach, picnics and hopefully camping trips! I've found these but they're not waterproof, on the flip side the price looks good and they look like they can hold a lot of stuff. Are they worth considering?

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/381145292628

OP
OP
Ootini

Ootini

I chose not to go for a triple set as I wanted flexibility on what I could stick on top of the rack. Otherwise, for a tenner, you can't really go wrong.

OP
OP
Ootini

Ootini

[QUOTE 3574783, member: 9609"]You learn the importance of economising when you have to carry it all on your back.[/QUOTE]
No, I won't. Honestly.
The thought alone makes me gag.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I try to carry big enough kettle to make both tea and soba or something.. I also dislike macaroni and cheese, though. Proper tea is a cornerstone of cycle camping, although I like coffee too. I'll be better off by dieting a few pounds off when the weather breaks, than by carrying less in terms of kettle and percolator.

Tojo

Über Member
No, I won't. Honestly.
The thought alone makes me gag.

I walked up to a remote tarn in the lakes to fly fish for the utterly wild brown trout with all the gear on my back to fish a couple more tarns over the next couple of days, any way fished the first tarn and caught a lovely brownie, took a photo of it next to my rod and thought will I have said brownie for dinner tonight and then thought do the right thing and give it it's freedom after surviving that long in that harsh mountain environment, what a grave mistake I made, Had a freeze dried meal instead and suffered 10 f**gging hours of heartburn.....you live and learn. :unsure:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Very interesting post, getting me in the mood for summer ☺I've also been looking for a set of panniers recently mainly for lugging all our family's kit down the beach, picnics and hopefully camping trips! I've found these but they're not waterproof, on the flip side the price looks good and they look like they can hold a lot of stuff. Are they worth considering?

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/381145292628
My Partner has got a very similar set on her bike (might even be the same) and you will be surprised at how little 28 litres is, good starter/commuting set though but for carrying lots of stuff a bit piddling. Maybe I'm spoiled though as I have a pair of Carradice that are 35-40 litres each for big stuff along with varying sizes of Topeak bags with drop down panniers.
Bargain at that price though, Maz paid £19.99 for hers 4 years ago.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Probably not bad for the front, though,but I'd hate to have smaller panniers for anything over a couple of days out. Otherwise, you will have to really lighten the load, and do some minimalist cycle camping.

KneesUp

Guru
I've decided to start blogging my adventures in bike-packing. Or as my wife likes to call it, wasting money on a mid-life crisis. If anyone is interested in reading, commenting, offering advice, mocking etc... Here's the link: https://bikepackingonabudget.wordpress.com
Shoes and bags = necessary and justified
Cycling equipment = silly hobby, probably a waste of money

(I've been married twice)

Top Bottom