Cycling / Camping advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Ootini

Ootini

Quick question, my bike has carbon front forks, I've been told this means fitting front panniers is a no-no. Is that correct?

If that is the case, does anyone have any pointers on a cheap n cheerful handle bar bag for stuffing bits n bobs in to. Or am I better using the bar space to strap the sleeping bag to?

tournut

Quick question, my bike has carbon front forks, I've been told this means fitting front panniers is a no-no. Is that correct?

If that is the case, does anyone have any pointers on a cheap n cheerful handle bar bag for stuffing bits n bobs in to. Or am I better using the bar space to strap the sleeping bag to?
Need to change forks, i would not risk carbon. And you need to try put sleepbag at the back, wind is a killer with bag at front.

OP
OP
Ootini

Ootini

Need to change forks, i would not risk carbon. And you need to try put sleepbag at the back, wind is a killer with bag at front.
Good point, hadn't thought about the aerodynamics of a bag up front! Cheers. TBH I don't I'll need front panniers at the mo, was just a thought. Thanks

Think I'm just gonna pop some smaller, heavier bits in the bar bag to even the weight distribution out a little.

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member

Not merely because they're carbon, but they won't have the fittings for front panniers, so non-touring steel forks won't be suitable (for front panniers) either. That said, for a few days, I'd not want to take so much stuff that you need front panniers at all.

If you do want a front bag, the Ortlieb handlebar bag is rather good, and though still Ortlieb prices is a good bit cheaper than their panniers - well, there's only the one bag I suppose. Handy for everyday use for a couple of tools and your sandwiches etc too.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
If you need to carry enough to require a front set of panniers, I'd try and source an old vintage touring bicycle. Longer chainstays will lessen the chance of your heels striking the bags as you ride, longer wheelbase, while making the steering slower, makes for a very deliberate ride as well, comfy yet sporty. Better to have a machine built to purpose, at that point up the road. Triple chainring, sealed BB, lots of fine and elegant dangles and bangles go into the touring bicycle. But that's in the future. Your panniers look quite enough to carry out your present touring plan.

Steam Pig

My list:

Bike
Lights (on the bike)
Pump (on the bike)
Bike Locks (on the bike)
Water Bottle x2 (on the bike)

Helmet (worn when cycling)
Mitts (worn when cycling)
Shorts x1 (worn when cycling)
Shoes (worn when cycling)
Jacket (in jersey pocket)
Jerseys x1 (worn when cycling)
Cycling Glasses (worn when cycling)

Inner Tubes x2 (in tool kit)
1st Aid Kit inc Insect spray (in pannier)
Tool kit (in pannier)
Tent (on top of rack)
Sleeping Mat (on top of rack)
Sleeping Bag (on top of rack)
Gas stove (in pannier)
Gas (in pannier)
Kettle (in pannier)
Insulated mug containing coffee, sugar n dried milk in bag. (in pannier)
Spoon for above (in pannier)
Tooth Brush + Tooth Paste (in pannier)
Small Towel (in pannier)
Convertible walking trousers (in pannier)
T-Shirt x1 (in pannier)
Fleece (in pannier)
Underwear x2 (in pannier)
Phone (in pocket)
Battery pack for phone (in pannier)
Wet Wipes (in pannier)
Socks x2 (in pannier)
Carrier bags (under bike seat)
Couple of spare AAs (in tool kit)
Cable Ties (in tool kit)
Gaffer tape (in tool kit)
Hand Wash (in pannier)
Credit card / Cash (in pocket)

If I've missed anything obvious, please let me know.

Lighter

tournut

To day thought i would load my tourer up with full kit, front and rear panniers. Then do a trial run alty to chester and back. I hit the wall. Thought would be ok. God i have been training all winter just with rear panns. Must be getting to long in the tooth .

OP
OP
Ootini

Ootini

Latest (revised) kit list. Bear in mind this is a three-four day tour maximum. Eating at cafes/pubs.

*Rack top*
  • Sleeping bag in dry bag
  • Tent pole
  • Tent fly & pegs in mesh bag
  • Straps *

*Left rear pannier*
  • Tent inner in dry bag
  • Sleeping mat in compression sack
  • Small knife

*Right rear pannier*
  • Clothes in dry bag:
    • 1 Spare cycling jersey
    • 1 Zip off walking pants
    • 2 Cycling socks
    • 1 Hiking socks *
    • 2 boxers
    • 1 lightweight fleece
    • 1 t-shirt
  • 1 Wash kit (toothpaste, toothbrush, deodorant, soap)
  • 1 medium sized light weight travel towel *
  • 1 Vango stove + gas
  • 1 Small kettle
  • 1 Travel mug + spoon
  • 1 wet wipes

*On bike*
  • Computer
  • Lights
  • Pump
  • Lock (wrapped around stem)
  • 1st aid kit inc insect rep (strapped to bar/stem)
  • 750ml water bottle
  • Tool bidon:
    • 2 spare tubes *
    • 2 Multitool
    • Tyre levers
    • Scabs
    • AA batteries
    • Cable ties

*On rider*
  • 1 cycling shorts
  • 1 cycling jersey
  • 1 cycling socks
  • 1 Cycling shoes
  • 1 Cycle helmet
  • 1 Shower proof jacket (jersey pocket)
  • 1 pr Cycling gloves
  • 1 pr Waterproof cycling gloves (jersey pocket)
  • 1 pr Cycling sun glasses
  • Watch
  • Phone

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'd add a quicklink to the toolkit provided one of the multitools has a linksplitter. Other than that its similar to what I'd use for a 'weekender' apart from the tent, I use a Topeak Bikamper and I take a Gelert 'chair' that just has a seat and a backrest (no legs and adjusts with 2 side straps but folds flat.)

OP
OP
Ootini

Ootini

I'd add a quicklink to the toolkit provided one of the multitools has a linksplitter. Other than that its similar to what I'd use for a 'weekender' apart from the tent, I use a Topeak Bikamper and I take a Gelert 'chair' that just has a seat and a backrest (no legs and adjusts with 2 side straps but folds flat.)

Ahha! I had thought of adding something to sort the chain out, and my multitool does have a chain splitter. However, I would have absolutely no idea how to use it or a quicklink. Think some youtubing is in order!

tomshooter

Wow I've never seen the Bikamper tent before...I have used my bike, a tree and a tarp, but that is a different level of lightweight!

Ootini I reckon your kit list looks good, I would however make one vital addition...Gaffa Tape. No need to take a whole roll of course, to keep things light, wrap a two metre length around an old credit card. I've held pannier bags, waterproofs and even skin together over the years, wouldn't leave the house without it!

Top Bottom