Cycling / Camping advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Just to mention, most cyclist who do long tours and camp should know that thay should have a sealed bb, if not you will always have problems,
Tosh, my Ridgeback has a standard square taper, all I do is change the bearings every couple of years and that's done 20,000 miles roughly since I've had it (mind you I also turn the cranks one flat every time I change the bearings to prevent excessive wear in one spot on the shaft)

tournut

Tosh, my Ridgeback has a standard square taper, all I do is change the bearings every couple of years and that's done 20,000 miles roughly since I've had it (mind you I also turn the cranks one flat every time I change the bearings to prevent excessive wear in one spot on the shaft)
Wot ever. But when touring around europe or south america over the past 3years stick with a sealed unit.that will stop mucking around. I thought this site was for information, not for slaging others off. Try long distance tours you may understand. P.s i dont want a reply. Thought i may have been a help to others thats all.

paddypete

Pannier i use is a dunlop twin sportsdirect works well and cheap, lasted me 3years
i've got simmilar on the rear (Xtension triple jobbie ) woul hold all your kit and yer mates too,however,i dont use the top bag,and got a pair of front bags on ebay,£16 and i like them,so i spread the wieght between the 4 ,about 3kgs per bag,and it feels well balanced,and if im going to the shops,i just put one of the front ones on the back

bigjim

Legendary Member
I've got those £10 panniers. I've used them for a few tours. They are still going strong. I bought a spare set but they are still in the wrappers. Bargain.
7727768078_7ce5ef0a22.jpg

bigjim

Legendary Member
I'm not seeing the post in which you mentioned the name. My eyes just aren't working.
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sjsc-rear-pannier-bags-prod11550/

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Wot ever. But when touring around europe or south america over the past 3years stick with a sealed unit.that will stop mucking around. I thought this site was for information, not for slaging others off. Try long distance tours you may understand. P.s i dont want a reply. Thought i may have been a help to others thats all.

Cripes the guy's only off for a couple of days. I'm sure whatever BB he's got fitted already will be perfectly fine (assuming it's in good order to start with)

Yeah I know I have seen it. Great for caravanners and glampers but cyclists? Just carry an old style dish cloth and wipe items clean as you use them and wash out cloth when you have access to ample water. Simples.
I don't have one but will get one.
It's very adaptable/useful.
Can also be used for washing clothes in and standing in for an imlromptu wild shower.
Lidl did an knock/off one for a fiver a while ago, but i don't know if it's any good.

Plus one crznkarm to your suggestion of a hat and a buff kneck/fleece.

Quick question, with regards to tyre width, if I'm adding approximately 10-11kg to the overall weight on the bike, is tyre width that big an issue? I only ask as 11kg is only 1.7 stone and no one in this thread (I think) has any idea what I weigh.
For what it's worth, I'm dead on 13 stone, so, if I weighed 14.7 stone, would I still be advised to shift from 25mm tyres up to 32mm?
I hope this question doesn't sound confrontational, it's not supposed to, it just seems odd that carrying 11kg of kit means I should increase tyre width, but my own body weight, never came in to the discussion. Is this because the rider weight is distributed evenly, where as the kit will be mostly over the rear wheel? Or is it something else?
Ta

I reckon, all the kit, me, plus the bike comes in at a grand total of 110kg or there abouts.

Another point, in case it makes a difference, the route will be on purely paved roads, no dirt or loose stuff. Proper roads.
I'd personally use 37 or 38 tyres for any sort of loaded touring.
Believe me, the bike won t feel slow, just stately

OP
OP
Ootini

Ootini

Cripes the guy's only off for a couple of days. I'm sure whatever BB he's got fitted already will be perfectly fine (assuming it's in good order to start with)

True. I think if I "really" take to touring, I'd make a few more mods to the bike to make it more tour friendly. Which would include a chainset upgrade to a triple, probably changing BB too. But for now, it's fine.

Top Bottom