Cycling / Camping advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Ootini

Ootini

Kitchen sink?

What should I leave out?

p.s. I'm not intending to cycle in a cotton t-shirt. The t-shirt will be an UnderArmour style lightweight top to wear when off the bike.

OP
OP
Ootini

Ootini

Quick question, with regards to tyre width, if I'm adding approximately 10-11kg to the overall weight on the bike, is tyre width that big an issue? I only ask as 11kg is only 1.7 stone and no one in this thread (I think) has any idea what I weigh.
For what it's worth, I'm dead on 13 stone, so, if I weighed 14.7 stone, would I still be advised to shift from 25mm tyres up to 32mm?
I hope this question doesn't sound confrontational, it's not supposed to, it just seems odd that carrying 11kg of kit means I should increase tyre width, but my own body weight, never came in to the discussion. Is this because the rider weight is distributed evenly, where as the kit will be mostly over the rear wheel? Or is it something else?
Ta

I reckon, all the kit, me, plus the bike comes in at a grand total of 110kg or there abouts.

Another point, in case it makes a difference, the route will be on purely paved roads, no dirt or loose stuff. Proper roads.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ootini

Ootini

Yeah I know I have seen it. Great for caravanners and glampers but cyclists? Just carry an old style dish cloth and wipe items clean as you use them and wash out cloth when you have access to ample water. Simples.
I'm not going to be eating on the road so to speak, basically I'll be hitting pubs / cafes for food. This is a credit card tour with a tent I guess.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Weight over rear tire is mainly my reasoning here. You might carry a couple of spokes as well. My touring bike has a braze-on to hold 2, but I usually, on anything of any distance, carry 4. You might also want a little duck tape as well.

Last edited:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
To be honest I'd expect you'd probably be ok on the 25s, as you are sticking to tarmac roads I think, but the ride on the wider tyres would be less harsh. The trade off would end up being the extra noise/drag of the CX tyres.

Have a go at loading your stuff up on the bike and riding around a bit on the 25s and see what it feels like. :smile:

OP
OP
Ootini

Ootini

To be honest I'd expect you'd probably be ok on the 25s, as you are sticking to tarmac roads I think, but the ride on the wider tyres would be less harsh. The trade off would end up being the extra noise/drag of the CX tyres.

Have a go at loading your stuff up on the bike and riding around a bit on the 25s and see what it feels like. :smile:

Yep, that's the plan, then maybe try the 32s to compare, but the 32s I already own, on tarmac really make it feel like I'm riding through syrup!

KneesUp

Guru

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I'd not overthink the tyres. You're not taking stupid amounts of long-distance across-the-Gobi-desert stuff, so "normal" width tyres should be fine - perhaps pumped up a bit more, and look out a bit more for potholes.

OP
OP
Ootini

Ootini

That might be a psychological thing rather than a physical - wider tyres roll better. This article https://janheine.wordpress.com/2014/01/01/tires-how-wide-is-too-wide/ is very interesting. (I run 26 x 1.5" tyres so may be biased, but the science seems pretty conclusive)
Really? I'm pretty sure I can "feel" the tyres just running smoother, especially on mild descents. I feel less knackered on hills, and the tyres definitely feel grippier on fast corners. I guess it could be psychological, and attributed to my fitness improving. Never really thought about it, just assumed the slicks would be faster / more efficient, and they definitely felt it when I swapped over.
I think maybe it's the lack of tread / knobblyness on the 25s as opposed to the actual tyre width that makes them feel faster.

Last edited:

KneesUp

Guru
I think maybe it's the lack of tread / knobblyness on the 25s as opposed to the actual tyre width that makes them feel faster.

Yes it will be - in the research they were comparing the same model of tyre in different widths. I hadn't realised yours were different.

OP
OP
Ootini

Ootini

Yes it will be - in the research they were comparing the same model of tyre in different widths. I hadn't realised yours were different.
Ah no problem, the 32s are chunky Griffo Challenge CX tyres, which are nice in the muck but horrible on tarmac, very squirrelly in corners, if that makes sense. Where as the 25s are continental gp4000 something or others. Very soft and sticky.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ootini

Ootini

Weight over rear tire is mainly my reasoning here. You might carry a couple of spokes as well. My touring bike has a braze-on to hold 2, but I usually, on anything of any distance, carry 4. You might also want a little duck tape as well.

This might be a very silly question, but apart from 700c are there any other size or "type" variations for spokes? I'm just googling spare spokes now.

andym

Über Member
but the science seems pretty conclusive)

I can't provide you with the link (or at least I don't have time to go hunting for it), but according to Schwalbe, all other things being equal, tyres at the same pressure will give the same rolling resistance. HOWEVER, generally though, wider tyres run at lower pressures.

There is a perfectly good argument though that the extra cushioning from the wider tyres compensates for the extra rolling resistance.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
This might be a very silly question, but apart from 700c are there any other size or "type" variations for spokes? I'm just googling spare spokes now.
There are all sizes of spokes, and your drive side spokes are shorter. There are galvanized or stainless steel, butted or straight gauge.

Top Bottom