Cycling / Camping advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Will a 1 man tent be big enough? Some can be rather "form fitting"and don't allow much room for gear.

KneesUp

Guru
Will a 1 man tent be big enough? Some can be rather "form fitting"and don't allow much room for gear.
Good point. The best value tent I ever had was £9.99 from Tesco. It was a two-man, which meant it had room for me and my bag (I was travelling by car so had a long holdall with most of my stuff in). The tent didn't weigh much, was really easy to put up and was weatherproof enough for August in Scotland. Plus, did I mention I got change from a tenner? Not sure what happened to it now though - I suspect it got left behind in the house I had with the first Mrs KneesUp.

OP
OP
Ootini

Ootini

My bike is currently running Continental Grandprix 700*25c tyres. I also have a spare set of Griffo Challenge CX 700*32c tyres. I ditched the CX tyres due to their very knobbly tread and rolling resistance.
Should I switch back to the CX tyres for the extra width, cushioning etc considering the extra weight? Or will the 25mm tyres be OK?

OP
OP
Ootini

Ootini

At a wild guess, I think I'm going to be adding about 10Kg to the overall bike weight. Based on:
Pannier bags and rack: 1.5kg
Sleeping bag: 1.5kg
Tent: 1.5kg
Clothes: 1kg
General camping equipment: 2kg
Water in bottles: 1.5kg
Bike tools etc: 1kg

All very rough guesses btw.

OP
OP
Ootini

Ootini

My list:

Bike
Lights (on the bike)
Pump (on the bike)
Bike Locks (on the bike)
Water Bottle x2 (on the bike)

Helmet (worn when cycling)
Mitts (worn when cycling)
Shorts x1 (worn when cycling)
Shoes (worn when cycling)
Jacket (in jersey pocket)
Jerseys x1 (worn when cycling)
Cycling Glasses (worn when cycling)

Inner Tubes x2 (in tool kit)
1st Aid Kit inc Insect spray (in pannier)
Tool kit (in pannier)
Tent (on top of rack)
Sleeping Mat (on top of rack)
Sleeping Bag (on top of rack)
Gas stove (in pannier)
Gas (in pannier)
Kettle (in pannier)
Insulated mug containing coffee, sugar n dried milk in bag. (in pannier)
Spoon for above (in pannier)
Tooth Brush + Tooth Paste (in pannier)
Small Towel (in pannier)
Convertible walking trousers (in pannier)
T-Shirt x1 (in pannier)
Fleece (in pannier)
Underwear x2 (in pannier)
Phone (in pocket)
Battery pack for phone (in pannier)
Wet Wipes (in pannier)
Socks x2 (in pannier)
Carrier bags (under bike seat)
Couple of spare AAs (in tool kit)
Cable Ties (in tool kit)
Gaffer tape (in tool kit)
Hand Wash (in pannier)
Credit card / Cash (in pocket)

If I've missed anything obvious, please let me know.

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
32 mm tires

Crankarm

Guru
My list:

Bike
Lights
Helmet
Mitts
Shorts x1
Shoes
Water Bottle x2
Jacket
Jerseys x2
Cycling Glasses
Pump
Inner Tubes x2
1st Aid Kit inc Insect spray
Tool kit
Bike Locks
Tent
Sleeping Mat
Sleeping Bag
Gas stove
Gas
Kettle
Insulated mug containing coffee, sugar n dried milk in bag.
Spoon for above
Tooth Brush + Tooth Paste
Small Towel
Convertible walking trousers
T-Shirt x1
Fleece
Underwear x2
Phone
Battery pack for phone
Wet Wipes
Trainers
Socks x2
Carrier bags
Couple of spare AAs
Cable Ties
Gaffer tape
Hand Wash
Credit card / Cash

If I've missed anything obvious, please let me know.

Kitchen sink?

Crankarm

Guru
Blimey you do seem to be making your trip ……… complicated. When I have ridden in Wales I just made a short list, loaded up my bike and set off. Riding in central and north wales on deserted roads, lanes, tracks and wild camping in summer has been some of my most enjoyable touring I have done. Waterproof panniers i.e. Ortlieb or better still Vaude are a must as if you can't get all your stuff inside your tent. You want it to be dry when you wake up the next morning as it rains a lot in Wales. I never bothered locking my bike even when stopping at supermarkets. I did take an Abus D-lock on my first tour but didn't the next as I found it was just taking up too much space and the extra weight. I always found somewhere safe to leave my bike or some one to watch over it for 10-15 minutes.

There are some brilliant roads to ride such as the Devil's staircase, all the way up in one, fully loaded. Plan your routes on OS 1:50k Landranger maps or GPS with 1:50k OS mapping. One of my favourite roads is the mountain road from Llanidloes to Machynlleth which cuts due west from the B4518 up and over dropping steeply into Machynlleth. Great wild camping on top with tremendous views as the sun sets. There is also the mountain road that goes from Abergavenny to Hay on Wye past Lord Hereford's Knob in the Black Mountains which is in the opening and final credits of Antiques Roadshow. There is so much good riding in Wales with little traffic if you plan your routes carefully.

One day I plan to do the Sarn Helen an old Roman route from Worms Head on the Gower Peninsula all the way to Conwy Castle in North Wales, 270miles and 8820m of climbing on Cambrian tracks so MTB needed.

Btw you missed,

Windproof fleece hat/beanie as it still may be cold of a morning and evening.
Buff or neck fleece.
Washing line to hang up kit to dry

I wouldn't wear cotton T-shirts when riding bad idea as cotton absorbs moisture not very good at wicking and slow to dry plus smells with BO. Also I wouldn't bother with trainers as they will take up too much space just wear your cycling shoes, all the better if they are SPDs for walking in.

Have fun.

Last edited:
Top Bottom