Cycling / Camping advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
Balls!
Never easy is it? So apparently I need 88, 87 and 84mm spokes. One of each ?
At least. This is the ideal set-up.

In-Action-1.jpg

(As you say, you're only taking 10kg of stuff, and if you weighed 10kg more I doubt you'd be taking spare spokes - it's not like you're on a month long trek though the wilderness!)

Balls!
Never easy is it? So apparently I need 88, 87 and 84mm spokes. One of each ?

IIRC the tour is 200miles or less over 5ish days - worrying about spokes would seem to be overkill - on my first continental tour before I sussed that spokes were not supposed to break (ie have a rear wheel up to the job) I rode over 500km with less than a full set on my rear wheel. Since then I have never had a spoke break nor have I ever carried spokes.

OP
OP
Ootini

Ootini

Hmmm that was from one of those online chat support things.... I think I'll chance the spokes, we'll never be too far from a shop.

tournut

With all this in mind, does anyone have a recommendation for a rear rack and dual pannier combo? This isn't likely to become a very regular affair so I'd really rather not pay a fortune for Ortliebs et al. Just looking to spend around £50-60 for both rack and bags if that's doable. Are all racks compatible with all bags? Or do they need to be matched up somehow?
I intended to slap the tent on the top of the rack, with sleeping bag and everything else in the bags.

I was thinking this: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tor-tec-tour-rear-rack-with-spring-clip-prod23683/
plus this: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sjsc-rear-pannier-bags-prod11550/ - Are these really only a tenner each?! That basically makes them a consumable. **In fact it looks like they're a tenner for two! This is starting to look like a no-brainer until someone tells me otherwise.

I know the bags aren't waterproof, but if it absolutely lashes it down the trips off. I'll be stashing the contents in bin bags probably.
Pannier i use is a dunlop twin sportsdirect works well and cheap, lasted me 3years

paddypete

i think,the gearing will be a test,getting up hills with an extra 15-20 kgs against the wind,lovely stuff,at least you'll sleep well!

tournut

IIRC the tour is 200miles or less over 5ish days - worrying about spokes would seem to be overkill - on my first continental tour before I sussed that spokes were not supposed to break (ie have a rear wheel up to the job) I rode over 500km with less than a full set on my rear wheel. Since then I have never had a spoke break nor have I ever carried spokes.
If you want to carry spare spokes drop them down the frame where seat is . Dont forget to tape them up as you dont want a rattle when riding. You need a q.r on sea post.

Top Bottom