Cycling can RUIN Women's Bodies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Allegedly one was 'shot off'in WW! leading to his mates nicknaming him 'squealer' now I don't know about other blokes but if I'd just had a knacker shot off I'd do more than squeal. :eek:

I thought his mother cut it off when he was small, and isn't the Albert Hall part of the story too

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
My missus must be an exception, I can talk to her about blokes things and she to me about woman things with no sense of intimidation. She can happily go to a pub full of blokes and hold her own. I've never actually asked her about sexism and how she feels about it. Does she feel she has to be different in the presence of men? Or does she feel intimated? I dont actually know. I may bring it up over out beef roast later on.. but then she might ridicule me like with the issue I mentioned but that's just the way we are. I'm a bit frightened of her to be honest.

P.S. Send help :tongue:

D

Deleted member 1258

I noticed a typo where I should have said papers rather than 'apers' - but on reflection it seems apt.

I've wondered a few times if many of the injunctions or 'taboos' on what women can feel comfortable speaking about in mixed company are mostly about getting us to shut up about things that might need to change in order that life be made more comfortable / safer / fairer for everyone.

If we can't discuss stuff like this without it getting deflected by inappropriate jokes from guys, who seem to forget they're in mixed company :rolleyes: or even bollix chat, then nothing really changes does it??

Most women I know
(and they're not all shrinking violets you'll be unsurprised to hear)
would rather walk through fire, than go into a bike shop and announce their genital discomfort to the assembled blokeage to be found there.

How the guys who actually give sh*t about true equality will go about tackling these issues of sexism is something I'm looking forward to seeing - there's only so much that any woman can do to change the mindset - and educate.

But I for one, having put up with it for these attitudes for a looooong time, am quite keen to see a change.

It shouldn't have to be "How would you feel if your daughter / sister / wife was spoken about, or to like that" - but that seems to be the only thing that gets any leverage with the slightly less 'enlightened' mind.

Like most fellas I know little or nothing about the saddle related problems the ladies can suffer with, I don't know a lot about the saddle problems us fellas can suffer with, but thats because I've not suffered with them, if I was working in a cycle shop and a lady cyclist came in the shop asking for help with lady specific saddle problems, like most fellas I suspect, I wouldn't have a clue as to where to start.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
My missus must be an exception, I can talk to her about blokes things and she to me about woman things with no sense of intimidation. She can happily go to a pub full of blokes and hold her own. I've never actually asked her about sexism and how she feels about it. Does she feel she has to be different in the presence of men? Or does she feel intimated? I dont actually know. I may bring it up over out beef roast later on.. but then she might ridicule me like with the issue I mentioned but that's just the way we are. I'm a bit frightened of her to be honest.

P.S. Send help :tongue:

She's not necessarily an exception, there are many women who can talk about this stuff freely, and are comfortable with it.

The thing is there are probably a far greater majority who aren't..
And of course you won't hear from them will you.
But be very much assured that they are there.
I mean even look at the number of female CCs there are here.
When someone wants to ask a female saddle related question, they can call up a list of five or six names, because we are noticeable by our ' novelty.
All other questions are directed generally at 'the collective'

And often these questions are asked by men, on behalf of their female partners..

Why do you think that is??
Too busy in the kitchen preparing the Sunday roast ??

Well possibly, but its just as, if not more likely that they would be put of by some of the 'blokey' attitudes they'd encounter

In fact I frequent a few female only, outdoor interest groups where the women there say they have given up on places like this, for that very reason.

Which is a bit sad don't you think ??

Like most fellas I know little or nothing about the saddle related problems the ladies can suffer with, I don't know a lot about the saddle problems us fellas can suffer with, but thats because I've not suffered with them, if I was working in a cycle shop and a lady cyclist came in the shop asking for help with lady specific saddle problems, like most fellas I suspect, I wouldn't have a clue as to where to start.

It's probs fairly unlikely, but if that were to happen

You could say "I'm really sorry I don't know" and then try to find out some more info for them perhaps, or point them in the direction of someone else who could help.

Maybe thats another fear.. The great fear of

"Not Being an Expert on Everything"

It's OK not to know, and even to say so :okay:

******, ***

But what's not OK is to take that discomfort and turn it into something else, and make other people feel uncomfortable, or silenced.

It's called making jokes at other peoples expense, or punching down, even.

For example, it's generally considered OK for Jewish people to make jokes about Jewish people, or for black people to use the N word?

But for other people who are not in those groups there's a civilised injunction on doing that .

I wonder if there's a chance that the 'unreconstructed' man could slide his mind sideways into applying the same principal elsewhere, and avoid jokes, or comments that some women, given the centuries of conditioning they've experienced, might find degrading??

Just a thought. :okay:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
She's not necessarily an exception, there are many women who can talk about this stuff freely, and are comfortable with it.

The thing is there are probably a far greater majority who aren't..
And of course you won't hear from them will you.
But be very much assured that they are there.
When someone wants to ask a female saddle related question, they can call up a list of five or six names, because we are noticeable by our ' novelty.
All other questions are directed generally at 'the collective'

And often these questions are asked by men, on behalf of their female partners..

Why do you think that is??
Too busy in the kitchen preparing the Sunday roast ??

Well possibly, but its just as, if not more likely that they would be put of by some of the 'blokey' attitudes they'd encounter

In fact I frequent a few female only, outdoor interest groups where the women there say they have given up on places like this, for that very reason.

It's probs fairly unlikely, but if that were to happen

You could say "I'm really sorry I don't know" and then try to find out some more info for them perhaps, or point them in the direction of someone else who could help.

Maybe thats another fear.. The great fear of

"Not Being an Expert on Everything"

It's OK not to know, and even to say so :okay:

******, ***

But what's not OK is to take that discomfort and turn it into something else, and make other people feel uncomfortable, or silenced.

It's called making jokes at other peoples expense, or punching down, even.

For example, it's generally considered OK for Jewish people to make jokes about Jewish people, or for black people to use the N word?

But for other people who are not in those groups there's a civilised injunction on doing that .

I wonder if there's a chance that the 'unreconstructed' man could slide his mind sideways into applying the same principal elsewhere, and avoid jokes, or comments that some women, given the centuries of conditioning they've experienced, might find degrading??

Just a thought. :okay:

I agree in that i would like to see cycling be as inclusive as possible. If the female population are genuinely put off by cycling because it is perceived as too blokey then lets work on that, i don't have the answers of course, im a bloke, but lets hear some suggestions and get a meaningful conversation going. I feel more important than even gender related issues here is the fact that climate change has the ability to indiscriminately end us all, id rather we look into making people as comfortable as possible and get people less reliant on motor vehicles.

BTW im self employed the missus works a 'normal' job. I fit in my job (easy at the moment as work is lean), house work, cooking, gardening etc. The missus does do the clothes washing though because i literally can not be trusted and the kids chip in with washing up and other chores to earn some pocket money. You will often see me on Cycle Chat at 2ish am as i will often do some of what is needed the night before and i will squeeze in 5-6 hours sleep. I work bloody hard but in many ways i enjoy doing it as im losing my weight and im a heck of a lot fitter. It was soo much harder to do this 12 months ago and the garden looks soo much better now i can move more...

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I agree in that i would like to see cycling be as inclusive as possible. If the female population are genuinely put off by cycling because it is perceived as too blokey then lets work on that, i don't have the answers of course, im a bloke, but lets hear some suggestions and get a meaningful conversation going. I feel more important than even gender related issues here is the fact that climate change has the ability to indiscriminately end us all, id rather we look into making people as comfortable as possible and get people less reliant on motor vehicles.

BTW im self employed the missus works a 'normal' job. I fit in my job (easy at the moment as work is lean), house work, cooking, gardening etc. The missus does do the clothes washing though because i literally can not be trusted and the kids chip in with washing up and other chores to earn some pocket money. You will often see me on Cycle Chat at 2ish am as i will often do some of what is needed the night before and i will squeeze in 5-6 hours sleep. I work bloody hard but in many ways i enjoy doing it as im losing my weight and im a heck of a lot fitter. It was soo much harder to do this 12 months ago and the garden looks soo much better now i can move more...

Oh for sure, I'm right there with you on the other CC issue that's is Climate Change.

It's one of the main reasons I farm, live, and and travel in the ways I have done for decades.

But its not enough for just a few of us to live in this way, which only just now is gradually losing its 'fringe' status.

We need cycling to become a standard way of getting about where possible.

In addition to all of the more sporty / competive / fun leisure side of things.

Getting one half of the whole population a lot more comfortable with doing that seems like a sensible aim.

D

Deleted member 26715

I noticed a typo where I should have said papers rather than 'apers' - but on reflection it seems apt.

I've wondered a few times if many of the injunctions or 'taboos' on what women can feel comfortable speaking about in mixed company are mostly about getting us to shut up about things that might need to change in order that life be made more comfortable / safer / fairer for everyone.

If we can't discuss stuff like this without it getting deflected by inappropriate jokes from guys, who seem to forget they're in mixed company :rolleyes: or even bollix chat, then nothing really changes does it??

Most women I know
(and they're not all shrinking violets you'll be unsurprised to hear)
would rather walk through fire, than go into a bike shop and announce their genital discomfort to the assembled blokeage to be found there.

We went to a friends house on Friday evening for a BBQ, first time we have interacted with anybody outside our home since March, I've been encouraging him to cycle more & we have done one ride within lockdown. But they both went out on Thursday, her for the first time on a bike in 10+ years & they did 12 miles, she was saying she was a little sore, the subject of saddles came up, I suggested a Charge Spoon for him, & then tried to explain what you ladies have told me about sit bones & the cardboard method of measuring as I know 100% there is no way she would walk into a cycle shop & ask to be measured. We've all known each other for over 40 years, 50 years in that case of my wife & her, but I would guarantee she wouldn't even let me & my wife be around for the measuring.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
We went to a friends house on Friday evening for a BBQ, first time we have interacted with anybody outside our home since March, I've been encouraging him to cycle more & we have done one ride within lockdown. But they both went out on Thursday, her for the first time on a bike in 10+ years & they did 12 miles, she was saying she was a little sore, the subject of saddles came up, I suggested a Charge Spoon for him, & then tried to explain what you ladies have told me about sit bones & the cardboard method of measuring as I know 100% there is no way she would walk into a cycle shop & ask to be measured. We've all known each other for over 40 years, 50 years in that case of my wife & her, but I would guarantee she wouldn't even let me & my wife be around for the measuring.

Well there you go - job done - the lady in question has been armed with information, which, if she feels the need, she can use.

I'm sure, if she has gained something like 60 circuits around the sun, she will be perfectly able to sit on a piece of silvered cardboard unsupervised :smile:

That's the thing as well though isn't it - access to info - If you're confident enough to come to places like this, speak of of your problems and 'do buttock chat' or whatever - then you will probs get those problems resolved pretty quickly - or at least be bombarded with lots of options to try - and even support while you go through it.

If for all the reasons we've discussed above - you are too embarrassed to ask about any manner of things for fear of the response , you'll not get so far, so fast - or may even get totally discouraged by your 'problems' and give up all together - But information can lead to self-empowerment.

12 miles is a fair distance for a first time out in that long - hopefully your friend will just get used to it quite quickly - padded shorts (under 'normal' outdoorsy type trousers if she prefers) might be all it takes ?

Tom B

Guru
Some of those issues are not limited to women.

A quick look through this forum shows plenty of men with sore sit bones, and saddle sore. I'm sure if I spent as much time in the saddle as an ultra cyclist does then I'd have some sores too.

I have been plagued with urine infections over the years and one urologist suggested cycling is the problem.

D

Deleted member 26715

12 miles is a fair distance for a first time out in that long - hopefully your friend will just get used to it quite quickly - padded shorts (under 'normal' outdoorsy type trousers if she prefers) might be all it takes ?
I think it will be new bike first

Slick

Guru
Not the point of the story but this shocked me.

One 2016 study by the Yale School of Medicine suggested that cycling for more than 100 hours a week can cause genital numbness, tingling or pain.

Is that another misprint?

D

Deleted member 26715

What that somebody manages to ride more than 100 hours a week?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions

One 2016 study by the Yale School of Medicine suggested that cycling for more than 100 hours a week can cause genital numbness, tingling or pain.

Yes. All of those can happen within minutes

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

It is a lot of hours in the saddle yes - i think anything done for 100 hours a week could cause problems.. :wacko:

Some of those issues are not limited to women.

A quick look through this forum shows plenty of men with sore sit bones, and saddle sore. I'm sure if I spent as much time in the saddle as an ultra cyclist does then I'd have some sores too.

I have been plagued with urine infections over the years and one urologist suggested cycling is the problem.

I think this was one of the reasons the OP queried the article and its tone - the implication being that undercarriage issues caused by cycling were limited mainly to women ??

Whereas as you point out there are plenty things that can go a bit wrong for folks of any gender.

Top Bottom