Cycling clothing - a general question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
Does wearing "proper" cycling clothing make a tanglible difference whilst riding on longer distances?

I wear padded shorts under baggy shorts, but the rest of what I wear is normal(ish) casual clothes.

I'm in two minds about getting some full on cycling clothes, but want to be sure the self-consciousness will be outweighed by the benefits.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
i think you may be more comfortable in 'proper' kit.

My only advice would be avoid cotton if possible, especially next to your skin. Once it gets damp it stays damp. In winter you'll feel cold and in summer you'll just feel wet. Doesn't have to be cycling specific, but any outdoors type baselayer is a must in my opinion. Cheap base layer, midweight fleece and lightweight waterproof shell and your good for pretty much most conditions. Don't really need to spend a fortune these days either. If f your only going a couple of miles or so then wear WTF you want. :biggrin:

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Keep an eye out for Aldi/Lidl cycle sales. Their gear is good for the price. I find Aldi clothing better. Cycling special tops hang lower at the back protecting your kidneys and lower back from getting cold and also have big pockets for putting lots in (small pump, toolkit, banana, energy bar, phone etc.) and out of the way.

The basic stuff keeps you cool and offers a slippery interface with the wind - both of which will keep you fresher on long journeys (even if the immediate reaction is that there is little difference).

And get them hairy legs shaved.;)

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
It might not be the 'flashest' gear but I would recommend The cheap Muddy Fox jerseys, from Sports Direct. Quality and fit is really impressive (for the low price tag). They are around £9 - 15 a pop, depending on the style. The longs are excellent too - better quality than the Decathlon ones, that I usually rave about.

You wouldn't have to spend the Earth, while you give it a go...

yello

'Proper' cycling kit is not at all necessity (excepting maybe some padded shorts).

In fact, it is easier to purchase tech fabric gear from outdoor shops that are arguably better than cycling specific kit. With the exception of rear pockets and longer back length, there is nothing special about bike kit. All of my base layers, for example, have been purchased from non-cycle shops, they are generic and not cycle specific.

For me, fit is an important factor. Generally speaking, cycling kit is cut closer than your average outdoor gear, especially jackets. Flappy garments can be annoying when cycling. But if you keep that in mind when you make your purchases then there is no reason, imo, to buy cycling specific kit.

Further, I think for the cycle tourist it is more comfortable and casual to be dressed in 'normal' kit.

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
You can look like a tour de france rider or you can look pretty normal in cycling specific kit.
If you're not sure, go with any 'technical fabric' garment, & see how you feel about it.
Try a base layer top, it will wick the sweat away from your skin, so you don't get cold.
Try (under) shorts, they are body hugging for good reason; they don't chafe or cause friction.
But it really depends on the type of cycling you do, or want to do.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I spent 4 years cycling in rugby shirts and baggy shorts and the only reason I started wearing cycling gear was because my wife bought me some in a Lidl sale. Even then she had to nag me for months before I finally relented and tried it on. Here are the main difference I noticed straight away:
1) Padding makes saddle much more comfy.
2) Much less wind resistance on me (I notice now more the wind resistance on the bike itself).
3) When I get wet it doesn't feel uncomfortable because the material is like an outer-skin.

Anyway, I'm convinced so I'm buying some decent stuff now. I hear Wiggle is good, any recommended brands anyone?

MattHB

Proud Daddy
It might not be the 'flashest' gear but I would recommend The cheap Muddy Fox jerseys, from Sports Direct. Quality and fit is really impressive (for the low price tag). They are around £9 - 15 a pop, depending on the style. The longs are excellent too - better quality than the Decathlon ones, that I usually rave about.

You wouldn't have to spend the Earth, while you give it a go...

+1 on the jerseys. But walk away from everything else in SD. It's junk. Tops are good value tho

I spent 4 years cycling in rugby shirts and baggy shorts and the only reason I started wearing cycling gear was because my wife bought me some in a Lidl sale. Even then she had to nag me for months before I finally relented and tried it on. Here are the main difference I noticed straight away:
1) Padding makes saddle much more comfy.
2) Much less wind resistance on me (I notice now more the wind resistance on the bike itself).
3) When I get wet it doesn't feel uncomfortable because the material is like an outer-skin.

Anyway, I'm convinced so I'm buying some decent stuff now. I hear Wiggle is good, any recommended brands anyone?

DHB for bibs, shorts and base layers :smile: and try chain reaction, they're a lot cheaper if they have the same thing

Top Bottom